What's new

Resolving myself to this issue of Pan & Scan: Where we stand.... (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I've said it before and I'll say it again, using the electronic P/S feature only requires ***ONE*** transfer.
This would be wonderful if DVDs were the only place one could find pan and scan movies, but they aren't, and the p&s-on-the-fly feature doesn't work anywhere else.

Even if the studio can get away with making only one transfer for the DVD, they'll still have to make a pan and scan transfer for use on TV and VHS and everywhere else. Pan and scan on the fly could be very handy, but it doesn't solve the problem of having to make two transfers.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Seems like some stores are trying to educate their customers.

I dropped by HMV on Yonge St. (in Toronto) last week - which happens to have a very impressive inventory of DVDs.

Attached to every DVD shelf placed every few rows, was a little "sign" (probably 5" x 5") with an explanation of the importance and value of widescreen.

Even though no pictures were offered to demonstrate the difference, the explanation was well worded and not too difficult to understand.

Not sure if they were educating for the purpose of promoting OAR, or if it was just a case of reducing the amount of "black-bar" questions/complaints.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
NOT SO...my 10-year old son prefers WIDESCREEN to the "full frame" version. He and I JOINTLY decided NOT to purchase the "Snow Dogs" DVD because it was only offered in P&S. Because my son prefers to watch his movies on our widescreen RPTV, he knows that you lose a portion of the picture with P&S. Listen up, Disney...the future generation with purchasing power want WIDESCREEN.
Jenna,
Be sure and call Disney and tell them your testimonial here...this is *exactly* the sort of feedback that really makes waves over at the Mouse. They need to know that you and your family...including your 10 year old son...prefer widescreen ;)

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I just want to say that I'm all for dual releases, if that's what it takes. I want my widescreen and if Joe Schmoe wants Pan and Scan, that's fine. He's the one who'll have to re-purchase discs in a few years when he gets his High-Def widescreen T.V, not me.

Make them Dual or put both versions on the same disc, but let me have my widescreen! Please!

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Stupidly, I bought Snow Dogs for my daughter (didn't notice that it's in PS). Played it on 20" TV for my daughter and I walked back to my studio. My daughter complained to me that the picture is wrong. So I went to check the picture and there it was playing in all PS glory.

My daughter is 3.5 yo btw.

Of course, we returned the movice to WalMart and gave the reason for return for NOT being WS.

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Nate,

I'm with you 100% on dual releases as defined another way:

OAR regardless of aspect ratio for all releases and P&S of 2.35:1 down to 16X9 whenever the release OAR is 2.35:1.

Ralph Bru

Stunt Coordinator
Dave Scarpa: I agree with you, whats the big deal ?
If your getting your widescreen why do you care what other people like or dont like ? your satisfied and thats all that should matter. WS isnt going away! no matter how you expalin it some/most people will never except WS who arent into what WS fully has to offer. the majority of america doesnt own a HT. they see what they watch on reg TV and thats ok with them.
a good example is my HT and wife. she cant appreciate the difference between my HT and a little radio. some people are just tuned out and not into sound or vision when it comes to HT. majority just wants what good enough and just dont want something that they consider excessive.
its hard to explain but you have to put yourself in someone elses shoes or really know someone that just doesnt think the way you do. thats one of the problems I have with going to forums. the people in here that should have an open mind and understand what other people think as they seem to be more intouch with advanced technology, dont!
I could explain myself all day but I know still some of you jusy wont get what im trying to say.
be happy there is widescreen and stop putting your efforts where they are not needed at this time.
do you care what your neighbor is doing all the time, thats anoying. :)
oh and I do love WS just to clarify. :)
but I dont mind P&S, and I do watch reg TV....dont you ?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Huh? Yes I watch regular tv. But I certainly do not watch anything pan & scan. I hope you realize that there's lots of material that has an original aspect ratio of 1.33:1. That's not pan & scan, it's OAR.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I just want to say that I'm all for dual releases, if that's what it takes. I want my widescreen and if Joe Schmoe wants Pan and Scan, that's fine. He's the one who'll have to re-purchase discs in a few years when he gets his High-Def widescreen T.V, not me.
And when the place you rent movies only carries the P&S version, you tell them that you want the widescreen version and they tell you "Who cares? It's the same movie!" That's what's wrong with dual releases.

Ralph Bru

Stunt Coordinator
Rent ? I thought renting went out years ago, but thats just me. why rent when you can own them so cheap or better yet after buying and having alot in your collection sell the ones you dont want on ebay. you'll easily get your money back minus the (built in) rental fee. :) haha

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
To each his own. I only buy dvds when I've already seen the movie and know it's something I'll enjoy watching over and over. I don't want to hassle with ebay, so for films I haven't seen, renting is a great option. As far as having a lot in my collection, I own about 700 films. If I bought every movie I haven't seen but want to, I'd own 7000, but probably 6000 of them would be things I don't like that I'd be trying to get rid of on ebay. I'll stick with my small collection and renting. :)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I agree, I try and only own ones I know I'll watch at least every year or two.

One thing they really need to do is, if a DVD is released in both formats and separate SKU's they need to PLAINLY, CLEARLY, KNOCK YOU OVER THE HEAD, mark each version, such as this.

THIS IS THE WIDESCREEN VERSION! (not the Pan & Scan version)

and

THIS IS THE PAN AND SCAN VERSION! (i.e. chopped up so you get less picture to fit on your square TV), ARE YOU SURE YOU DON'T REALLY WANT THE WIDESCREEN VERSION?

This will help people avoid buying the wrong version.

Ralph Bru

Stunt Coordinator
I will have to agree with that. I was pretty annoyed when I purchased A.I. and when I got home realised it was the P&S version. so I can see it that way. boy that really made me mad. put them on different shelves or something.

John_F

Stunt Coordinator
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David B-

Is there as much resolution when using the p+s on-the-fly method compared to a "real" pan+scan? The people who would use this feature may not care/notice but if it's not equal quality then you can't say that it's a problem-free solution.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ned,

Good point. Yes, an electronic P/S transfer sacrifices 33% of it's horiztonal resolution compared to the "real" P/S transfer.

Sorry for the late reply, I just read the thread.

Why would you lose horizontal resolution? I would think the resolution would be the same (you are cropping part of the picture, but the "real" P/S transfer needs to do the same thing).

Regards,

John Flegert

Oops... Sorry, after thinking about it, I can see how you would lose the resolution.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
You do loose 33% horizontal res. That's because when you "zoom" into a 4x3 area in the 16x9 window you drop from 720 horizontal pixel to 540.
But who cares.
the big picture here people. Most people's TVs (those watching P/S) won't ever see the difference.
Plus, we drop 33% resolution whenever we convert from an anamorphic 16x9 image to 4x3 lbxed and we're not about to forgo using *that* feature bcs of 4x3 viewers.
The best image should be optimized for the consumers who *care* and are *asking* for it...the 16x9 WS viewers. 4x3 P/S users can get a slight decrease in horizintal res and they'll never know.
-dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks