1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Resolving myself to this issue of Pan & Scan: Where we stand....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronald Epstein, May 7, 2002.

1. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I do think the prices of widescreen HDTVs are progressively going down. When I joined Costco they had a 40" plasma WS TV for $10k. Since January 2001, the price had come down as far as $4997. They've now removed that model, though the mounting brackets remain, so I hope they'll keep it up. They also have a $1500 RP HDTV in 16x9. I would pay that much, but I don't want an RPTV.

2. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

PhilipG
    So let's sum up: What Studios Can Do
    1. Use Pan/Scam on-the-fly;
    2. Produce a very simple educactional w/s vs p/s demo at the beginning of the disc;
    3. On p/s titles, change the wording to "cropped frame transfer", or "this presentation has been cropped to fill your screen";
    4. Price p/s versions higher, and release new titles one month later than their w/s counterparts;
    5. Produce more 2-disc sets (w/s on disc 1, p/s on disc 2), even if the 2nd disc is just a DVD-5 (as if J6P is gonna notice). 2-disc sets sell.

3. Andy_B

Andy_B Stunt Coordinator

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

As far as goverment demanding that everything goes digital in a few years - we all know this can easily change. Hasn't the date been pushed up already? For some reason, I don't see in three years where this will happen given the high costs of making everything digital to goverment standards.

6. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

7. Michael St. Clair

Martin,

While I see your point of view, how many people own boats or campers that cost thousands of dollars? On my (truly) middle-class street, there are several people with boats and/or campers that cost a lot more than my television. I don't think they all have trust funds, and if they had exceptionally well-paying jobs, they would not be living on my street.

Are they all irresponsible and frivolous?

Priorities can be personal, without risking your family's well-being.

But on the other hand, like I said earlier, the general consumer is not going to spend more than $500 on a TV.

8. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

As long as we have to accept pan and scam, I'm of the belief that two separate SKU versions is the way to go, as long as they're distributed equally. That way, we get more room on discs for better audio/video quality and extras, and in cases where there's a two-disc set (like Glory or Shrek) with one WS disc and one FS, we won't have to pay extra for something we'll never watch and are loathe to have in our collections.

9. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Just a side note guys:

I don't believe anyone mentioned this, but I would be very amused if a first time J6P HDTV widescreen set buyer would complain about the black bars on the sides.

I don't have a HDTV or widescreen set yet, so I don't know how the set conpensates for 4:3 material, but I bet this scenerio might come up.

Nelson

10. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well You could argue what I spend on Disks is frivolous, but I have friend who sit in a bar for hours spending a ton of money on drinking, I'm more apt to stay at home, buy a few beers and take that money to buy a DVD, it alll comes down to vices I Guess

11. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn

12. GregoryM

GregoryM Agent

13. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

Forgive me for using such strong terms. I didn't mean it to sound as judgement of people who invest a lot of $$$$ in a HT system... but rather I meant it to be more in the way that Michael put it: most people will not spend that much on a TV. Only HT enthusiasts (a niche market) will. Boat enthusiasts spend their money on boats, but boat-owning is a niche market too. Maybe somewhere there's a Boating Forum with people who are frustrated because "Joe 6 Pack" is somehow screwing up their boating enjoyment.

My point is, if you want the mainstream to accept widescreen, you have to price widescreen sets in a range that the mainstream is comfortable paying for a TV. They aren't shopping for a "home theater". When 16:9 sets are a viable alternative for a family that is simply shopping for a new TV, THEN and ONLY THEN will they learn to appreciate OAR.

14. Karl Englebright

Karl Englebright Stunt Coordinator

15. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

16. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Looks like my letter in response to Video Store News' article is going into the next issue [​IMG]

17. Vic_T

Vic_T Stunt Coordinator

It's such a shame, but they have to be right. Lucas's refusal to release the Episode 1 disc in P&S resulted in it selling so badly. Same goes for T2 and the Matrix. They must have lost their shirts on those titles.

Seriously though, give the public a coule years to get use to it and they'll accept it. It won't stop them from buying one way or the other. They're not discriminating buyers, we are.

18. Mark-W

Mark-W Producer

Mark
    Vic_T-

Not to sour your logic, but think about the demographic

for The Matrix, T2 and The Phantom Menace...and then think

about the demographic for say, The Princess Diaries or

Notting Hill.

The Matrix, T2, and The Phantom Menace are very much

guy films...and techno-geeky guys at the very core of

the fan base. Those guys more often than not want OAR.

Look at how often the Sci-Fi channel shows thing widescreen.

(Pretty much every change they get.)

Soccer moms, females over 35, and people with poor vision are the core problem for OAR acceptance.

My niece and nephews (7, 5, and 4) have ZERO issues with

OAR. In fact, my niece complained when she noticed that

The Wizard of Oz was not widescreen! (I had to

explain to her that not all films OAR are widescreen.)

Mark

19. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

If studios are reluctant to do dual angle DVD-9 titles like MGM does, they should follow Dreamworks' example of Shrek, where the full-frame release was on a separate disc with kid-friendly goodies, and the WS version was placed on its own disc with all the grown-up supplements (and DTS audio to boot). The package wasn't really that much more expensive than a regular Dreamworks title (like Chicken Run).

20. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

I have one simple observation. DVD is the fastest growing format ever, and it did most of it's growing with widescreen as the only option. This hasn't deterred the public from buying DVD, so why do things have to change? Do they honestly think that if they continue widescreen only, that the public at large will stop buying DVDs? That's bs and most of us know it.