Resolutions...Misinterpreted article fixed, Best Buy makes nice, 900th DVD!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Oct 25, 2001.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

In this thread I complained that I was "misquoted and misinterpreted" in a Video Store Magazine article published on-line by T.K. Arnold last Friday (10/19):
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum15/HTML/032169.html . She, and others, refused to give me a raincheck for the WS edition of the film, at the sales price of $17.99 for an item normally $22.99.
    The next day I dropped off a letter to the store mgr, a cc: of one I mailed to their corporate. He called me immediately to apologize, and offer me the $5 WS C&D saving on any DVD title I next purchased (since I was buying WS C&D elsewhere).
    I took him up on that today. He was great, indicated that he had done his personal best to "educate" everyone about the proper way to handle themselves and to thank those folks I had named as GREAT employees, and explained that as far as OAR education goes, he honestly can't expect too much from them on the pay scale they hire at - but they are encouraged to find out as much as they can on their own and they do *try* to hire people who are interested in the hobby themselve. He didn't offer excuses, he just explained the facts of life such as they are, and was EXTREMELY nice about the way he did it.
    As a former store manager for a loooong time, I can sympathize with him I and accepted his sincere apologies. And his $5 discount...not to "save bucks" or "get 'em" or to "punish" anybody, but because I felt they honestly owed it to me for failing to issue the raincheck. They wimped out, and from the sounds of other posts it sounds like I wasn't the only one whose local Best Buy wimped out on a WS C&D raincheck.
    I wonder what their corporate office thought of my letter?
    So...what did I buy with my $5 off?
    It was my 900th DVD disc. I had to pick something special!
    After much thought and consideration, I finally choose to get a film I've never seen before, and which both I and my wife have wanted to see. An expensive film, at a street of $44.99 ($39.99 with the discount).
    Actually, a two-disc set. So it was really #'s 900 & 901.
    I got Spartacus - Criterion Collection. [​IMG]
    Oh, and just as an incentive to choose that title, I noted on the back that it said one of the supplements was a "Restoration Demonstration". Well, the credits show that it was "Restored by Robert A. Harris and James C. Katz".
    Yes, that's HTF's very own RAH on that disc supplement. And he's on the commentary track, too.
    Nice to finally "see" you in action, Robert: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, everything has worked out. Thanks to all the HTF support I got on both issues. You guys are simply the best!
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

2. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

Waiiiiiiiit a second, buster! We at the HTF measure our DVD collections in titles, not discs! Better do a recount [​IMG] [​IMG]!
    -Tom

3. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

[​IMG] [​IMG] I was thinking the same thing.
    I'm glad things worked out for you David.

4. Richard Cooper

Richard Cooper Stunt Coordinator

And some of us have to count discs to make our collections look bigger [​IMG]
    Seriously, shops have to value their customers- they wouldn't exist without us. And being that we HT peeps COLLECT movies, we tend yo buy more than regular peeps (J6P [​IMG]). The same goes for equipment. Ok, so there're more Joe's than us, but we buy the expensive stuff [​IMG]