Resolution

Discussion in 'Displays' started by michael deakin, Nov 17, 2005.

1. michael deakin

michael deakin Stunt Coordinator

Michael Charles Deakin
    Hi.
    Im in the process of upgrading my rear projection tv too a "Hidef" one, And was wondering what to look for when checking the resolution. Is the first set of digits that is important or the second set. Example (1080x720).
    Thanks.
    Michael.

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Er, both are. The two together define the resolution. If you're looking to rent an open plan office, which number is more important if the room dimensions are 50 feet by 60 feet? Obviously a 50 foot by 3 foot office would not be the same as a 50 x 60, but you'd never know that if you only considered one of the two numbers to be "important"

1080 by 720 describes the screen in terms of pixels of a given shape. The pixels are arranged in 1,080 columns on 720 horizontal lines for a 16:9 set. (A comparable 4:3 set with 720 lines would have a resolution of 960 x 720.) A higher resolution set of a given shape would have both numbers increase. The latest Sony HD RPTVs have a resolution of 1920 x 1080 (16:9 widescreen)

Regards,

Joe

3. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

That answer, while technically accurate, is not very fair, because it fails to take into account the context of the question.

It is a fact that horizontal resolution (number of vertical lines) is almost never mentioned, and is something of a non-factor in this hobby.

The figures typically thrown around for resolution are 480, 720 and 1080. These numbers refer to vertical resolution (AKA, the number of horizontal lines).

The second number is what matters.

--
    H

4. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Yep, both people are correct......they are equally important but you will never hear someone say "I can't wait to finaly get a 1920 display!!". You only need to know the 480, 720 and 1080. The bigger number the "better".....although that is a blanket statement. Much more goes into a nice diplay than resolution.

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Horizontal resolution is still important and is also difficult to get truthful figures on.

While the screen may be divided into 1080 rows of 1920 pixels each, the electronics may not be good enough to light the pixels individually. Horizontal resolution is the first to degrade with electronics deficiencies, where a picture detail that should occupy one pixel position bleeds over onto three or four pixel positions. On a CRT display the screen is not divided into a specific number of rows or colums but fatness of the electron beam is an additional factor in limiting the resolution.

With analog video sources horizontal resolution is also the first to degrade as the quality of the video signal degrades.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidres.htm

6. John S

John S Producer

Well it matters somewhat at least if your looking at projectors..

An XGA is 4:3 and the WXGA is 16:9 right? People get sort of duped into buting XGA prsentation projectors. I almost did, but got to play with it for a while before deciding if I wanted it or not. I chose not, big time.