What's new

Resolution of projection TV (1 Viewer)

John Roger

Stunt Coordinator
Do all projection TVs have progressive scan and high resolution?

I want a film like picture.When i watch DVDs on my computer they are very film like.But on my 27" TV they look too sharp and i can make out the scan lines more than i could on TV channels.

Infact i am more comfortable watching it on the PC rather than TV.This is the main reason why i thought of upgrading to projection TV.

So what should i look for if i want a projection TV with a softer film like picture?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Your not going to get an imagine as your see'n on your computer monitor. That is the reality. You just need to find a display you like. Sheer size does take some of the edge off, as your spreading your resolution over more area.

We all had to choose what we liked best, and live with it, or change to something we liked better, you are finding out 1st hand how difficult this can be.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
For progressive scan you're going to need to get a HD-capable set. You can then use the processing in the set or in your DVD player to make it progressive scan.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Nope. Unfortunately not. There is still a market segment out there that is willing to buy non-HD simply because it's cheaper so they can have a larger screen for the same amount of money as a much smaller HD.

John Roger

Stunt Coordinator
Do such sets have progressive scan?Remember progressive scan(480p) is not HD.And do all HD sets convert normal 480i or 480p signals to HD?What are sets marked "HDTV monitor" "HDTV capable" etc?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Most all HD sets these days, take all their sources and run it through a line doubler (Progressive scan) and have inputs for 480p and beyond to about 1080i......

There are some older sets, that are not HD yet that do take 480p.

HDTV Ready, HDTV Monitor, HDTV Capable, generally mean the set can take either 720p, or 1080i, or both as a source, this means with the addition of an external HDTV turner and/or source you do really have HDTV in all it's glory.

Many newer sets, will actually scale everything to their native resolution often times 720p.

John Roger

Stunt Coordinator
Not thinking about HDTV now.But i would surely like a set which converts the normal signals(esp DVD) to higher resolution for a detailed and film like picture.

I know Sony's DRC(is it an HDTV?) does this.Does any other set have a similar feature?Please tell me models if someone knows.

Also,just curious to know 480,720,1080 etc is how much in computer resolution.Because on a computer it reads like 1024 x 768 etc.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Computer resolutions are the same, except they usually incude both parts, for instance 1920x1080 is 1080p, 1280x720 is 720p, etc.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
am i reading this wrong or is john saying that most hd sets *do* convert sd to hd?

John S

Senior HTF Member
yes, that was not very clear... I was saying most just will take all non progressive scan sources to 480p... But the newest sets (DLP) will often scale everything to their native resolution often times 720p, which means technically they do scale to HDTV.

Matthew Todd

Second Unit

I don't think it just that they often scale to native resolution. I can't think of any digital display (meaning DLP, LCD, LCOS - not meaning CRT) that doesn't scale to native resolution. They all do it (except CRT).

Matt

John S

Senior HTF Member
I think you are right, I was just using DLP as an example..

A friend recently got a Samsung, and it is 720p native, and I at least knew for a fact that display does this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks