Resolution of "HDTV" displays

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Wong, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Second Unit

Hi,

Are the HDTV-ready RPTVs out there (Toshiba H and HX series, Mits, Pioneer, etc.) able to display the full 1920 x 1080i of HDTV? If not, what's the best resolution "HDTV" display out there?

I'm curious because I read that front projectors that are capable of "HDTV" (example, those 16:9 units from Sony and Sanyo that are capable of 1366 x 768) still have to down-convert or compress an HDTV signal down to 768 lines.

Thanks!

Joe

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Most consumer grade HDTV ready sets can display tiny dots at any of the 1920 x 1080 possible positions on the screen (1080i) but few if any sets can make a dot small enough that three in consecutive pixel positions alternating light, dark, light can be distinguished. I am told that today's high grade TV sets usually make a dot as small as 1/1200'th the screen width.
    If the resolution is published as being 1300 x 768 or something like that, the TV has to downconvert 1080i video so it now occupies 768 or so scan lines. For pixel based displays such as LCD or DLP the video will also have granularity in the horizontal direction due to the pixel structure.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm