Resolution, display adapter problems after XP re-install

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ryan Tsang, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

I'm a completely noob when it comes to computers.
    I did a clean re-install with XP (store bought original version) on my Sony PCV-7762. I did everything
    it recommended, nothing custom or fancy. Then it decided to auto select the monitor resolution.
    Now, the text/windows appear to be in widescreen, with a band (like letterboxing) on top, and I can't
    see the right of the window where there is normally the vertical scroll bar. I can't see the "X" button
    at the uppermost-right to close the applications, like an inch has been cut off the right.

I've tried changing resolution to higher than 800x600, but other things gets cut off and it looks funny.
    I tried desktop>properties>settings>advanced>monitor but then I can't access "properties" to update
    drivers or change the refresh rate. Also, what's the difference between a display adapter, video card,
    and a monitor driver? Under "Adapter" it says "VgaSave" type. What's that? I know one thing is made
    by SiS but I have no idea which model. The computer won't tell me either because when I go to
    "monitor" is just says "default monitor" when it used to say "NEC (followed by model numbers)

Under device manager there are yellow exclamation marks under "display adaptors", "multimedia
    audio controller", "PCI modem", "unknown device" (which is located on "PCI standard ISA bridge"
    Oh yeah.....I don't have sound either Win Media Player doesn't work"

I just have three recovery discs and I tried the first one and it doesn't even work! That's all that came with the cptr.

If I go to "system" it tells me: P4, 2.4Ghz, 480 RAM. I can't tell you what motherboard I have.
    "Adapter" says "unavailable" under the following parameters: chip type, DAC, memory size,
    adapter string, bios information.

Sorry for this much info. I would really appreciate any help. i want to get the display normal and then
    everything else. my DSL is working ok.

I'm hoping someone out there has the same cptr I do and can tell me what video card they have, if they haven't upgraded.

Cheers guys (gals too!)!

Ryan

2. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

I just had a thought. Because I don't know the model number of my video card (I just know it's SiS) could I download a whole bunch of them (approx 100) and save them into a folder and ask Windows to search it? It's got to be one of them!?