Resident Evil

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil M, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Neil M

Neil M Stunt Coordinator

This is according to IGN:

2. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Uh Huh. If the exclusivity stands for North America as well as Japan (Capcom has been mum on this issue so far), then I may just have to get a Gamecube for those games. If you have not had the chance to see video footage and screenshots of these new re-makes yet, you should take the time to do so. They are REALLY impressive, and far far scarier then the original. Some amazing use of lighting and shadow effects.
    I am hoping for X-Box versions of the RE series re-makes in America with a 16x9 mode. Probably ain't gonna' happen though. But you never know. If they make them for the X-Box, I am buying them. In America, they might be better served to release these games on the X-Box because of the demographic make-up of the X-Box user base. I don't have any hard numbers, but I am guessing that more adults (18-35 ages) are picking up the X-Box, although both systems are selling very well at the moment, so who knows?
    Either way, these look to be outstanding games if the quality stays on the current level. Nice job Capcom! [​IMG]

3. Eric Nees

Eric Nees Agent

RE is Gamecube only, for this generation anyway.

4. Sean Oneil

In Japan yes, but Capcom has not made any statement yet as to the games status in North America. They have been very quiet on this subject, and it may be for a reason [​IMG]

5. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

I'm actually buying a GameCube in a couple weeks for these very games [​IMG]. Glad to know I won't have to replace Res Evil 2 & 3 for my PSOne either, since they'll just be ports. And I can round out that Code Veronica I don't have.
    Oh, I may also want to play some SSB:M with the guys, but really, I am honestly just buying the Cube to play Res Evil [​IMG].

6. Corey Hancock

Corey Hancock Stunt Coordinator

Sean, the article at IGN does say, "If you want to play a Resident Evil game, you will have to do it on the GameCube," a Capcom spokesperson said. Granted it doesn't say whether this is Japan only, one can only assume that it is for all countries. The only other thing that really bothers me about the release of these games on the GCN is that RE2, RE:N, and RE:CV will all be ports. RE1 and RE4 will both be new for the GCN, but RE1 is just a revamped version of the original, so really 4 will be the only "new" game. Here's hoping they all turn out good, as I do love my GCN.

Corey

7. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

8. Neil M

Neil M Stunt Coordinator

9. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

It's too bad I have to wait until March for the first release. At least I'll have Sonic Adventure 2 Battle to keep me company until then.

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

All 5 this year? Yowza!

I would assume that the exclusivity deal is for North America, too. They are free to develop the games for other consoles, just not release them.

11. Corey Hancock

Corey Hancock Stunt Coordinator

You're right Mark, I misread the article. That's what I get by posting right before I go to bed. [​IMG]
    Corey

12. Sean Oneil

Well, no one has posted it on this thread yet, so:
    http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters...535836,00.html
    There they are... all kinds of RE screen shots in all of their horrific glory!
    I am all over this game, regardless of system (although it would be nice if X-Box owners got a nice HD 16x9 widescreen DD 5.1 version -it would also save me 250 bucks on the GC and the progressive cable + tax)

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

One thing I noticed...

Games exclusive to GameCube (for now):

Resident Evil 0

Resident Evil

Resident Evil 2

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis

Resident Evil 4

Resident Evil: Code- Veronica

And which ones are coming out this year?

Resident Evil 0

Resident Evil

Resident Evil 2

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis

Resident Evil: Code- Veronica

Which means that RE4 won't come out until next year!

14. WilliamS

WilliamS Agent

I think the GameCube is as good of a system as any to put out the RE series. Think about it, the Nintendo system has less "mature" games, so all those types of titles have a chance of selling pretty well. Less competition. It worked for Goldeneye.

As far as surround sound goes, if you're on this board than chances are you got a reciever with Pro Logic 2 or DTS neo:6 and hopefully these games will support either of those two. And that will sound just as amazing.

Sure an XBox version would be great, but would it be better? I hardly think so.

The head developer behind Resident Evil has worked on every system you can think of including XBox, but he choose Nintendo's for a reason; he liked it's results the best. Unlike Square and Sony, Capcom made no money off the deal, they did it out of the performance of the hardware.

Just my two cents.

15. Sean Oneil

I can almost assure you that Capcom would not make an entire series of games available for a single platform without recieving some compensation for doing so.

Without being promised and/or recieving some kind of extra compensation in advance, Capcom would want to sell as many units as possible of each game -and that would necessitate doing ports for multiple consoles.

I don't believe that ther has ever been, or ever will be a company who decides to release a series of games on a single system, simply because that companies programming team would have an easier time developing the games. Good programmers can be, and are hired to do the work -regardless of the platform.

Of course Capcom should say that the reason the GC was chosen as the exclusive platform is due to the hardware, because now they have a vested interest in the success of the Nintendo GC. Capcom are every bit as interested in selling you a Nintendo GC as they are in selling you their (Capcom's) games. If you don't buy a GC, then you don't buy RE, and that is bad for Capcom.

The games look great, no doubt about that -but I see no reason why they could not be given superior presentations on the X-Box if Capcom chose to attempt them.

16. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Food for thought...

17. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Convenient that this report is on MSNBC.com.

18. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Sure, and all of the pro-PS2 comments are actually part of a secret Sony/Microsoft conspiracy.

-Dave

19. Sean Oneil

20. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

While I can't say I bought a 'Cube solely for the RE games, the remake of RE is one of my most anticipated games of the year. Of all the RE games, that's the one that sticks with me the most. And I wouldn't be too shocked if Capcom has a few 'surpises' in the game that weren't in the PSX version.
    At the very least, I can hear "You, the master of unlocking" dialogue all over again.[​IMG]
    Jason