What's new

Resident Evil Trailer online (1 Viewer)

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
Is this coming to theaters? It looked kind of low-budget cheesy to me. Yeah, there was Special Effects in there but it just looked straight-to-video to me.

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
March 15, 2002 according to IMDB

I didn't even know they were making the movie...but if it's as good as the game then we're in luck!

Mike

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Is this coming to theaters? It looked kind of low-budget cheesy to me. Yeah, there was Special Effects in there but it just looked straight-to-video to me.
OUCH! That was a little harsh... :)
I think that it looked like a lot of fun. It reminded me of the R.E. series quite a bit... besides.., Milla is in it. :D

Scott Dill

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not trying to argue with anyone who is looking forward to this film, just raise a question.

There seems to be a lot of excitment for this title, and I'm just wondering if anyone really expects it to be a good film? Video games have never proven to be good source material. Just look at the list of stinkers that were inspired by Video games:

Tomb Raider

Wing Commander

Final Fantasy

Mortal Combat

Super Mario Brothers

I know that each of these films will have their supporters, but none of them were embraced buy the general film going public or critics.

So here's a question: Will there ever be am genuinely good film based on video game?

Personally, I doubt it, but I know resident Evil is a popular game, so I hope I'm worng.

Scott Dill

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yeah, The trailer does look pretty cool....though I still have my concerns, as metioned above.

Robin Warren

Second Unit
So true Scott. I can't see this move getting classified as a must-see, but lets just hope it has lots of blood, gore, munching and zombie explosions to satisfy the blood thirsty...oh ya, Milla in a red dress helps...trailer is sub par though...cross my fingers on this one.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Tough crowd, tough crowd... :)
I'm going to enjoy it for what it is, I'm not expecting to see it up for any Oscars next year. :D
Looks like some blood, some gore, some Milla and some fun! :emoji_thumbsup:

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
This looks like it could be a decent movie, but it does NOT look like Resident Evil. I don't think the director ever played the games based on what he has done here... this film looks all techno-future style. Something else that caught my eye, it said featuring new music by 'Slipknot' at the end in the credits. I enjoy hearing some 'Slipknot' from time to time, but their music seems really out of place in a Resident Evil movie.

I am afraid that this film will be another case of Hollywood suits throwing together all kinds of currently hip elements in order to sell tickets. This film looks flashy, and has the hip young actresses, and the hip soundtrack, and the trendy techno-science art direction and FX design that all the kids will want to see -but there seems to have been no attempt to capture the essence of horror of the RE games. To me, the only element that really felt like "Resident Evil" in this trailer was the 'Hunter' creature.

Still, it looks like it will be entertaining nonetheless. I will just expect it to be nothing like the RE games, and enjoy it for what it is.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
From everything I have seen, read, or heard, this looks to be a movie that is true to the games but stands well on its own. Mortal Kombat was too far out and sucked anyway, Tomb Raider was all sex appeal and no story, FF was seen as just CGI and too much stuff in the story that nobody cared about, Super Mario Brothers and Double Dragon just sucked, and I think that's about it.

RE looks to have some good special effects and production values. Some set for it look really neat, plus I've read of skinless zombie dog chase scenes and action sequences with the "Licker" and such. Doesn't seem like a cheesy, straight to video movie to me.

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
I've been having pretty low expectations for a RE movie, but the trailer has me excited and very much looking forward to it.

Pieter

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree with Sean. This film does not look like Resident Evil the game. The game was scary because if the creepy settings, the dirty and grungy blood splattered rooms, the eerie music, and the moanings of the zombies you can hear. From the trailer, it looks like they've completely changed the looks and feel of the game. George Romero would have made this extra creepy and extra scary, and true to the feel and atmosphere of the game. Too bad he's not doing it.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
I think that everyone was excited about the prospect of this film back when Romero's name was attached as the director. I really don't know what happened as far as that goes, but having just watched the trailer with the sound ...I am convinced that they completely missed the point. It kind of makes me sad.

Of all the game to movie titles that have gone before, I feel this one had the most potential to actually work, and to be something great. They have some talented actresses in the cast, and could have done something special here.

I begin to wonder how Paul Anderson landed this perticular job. He is a good director when given the right material, but his style just dosen't fit RE. Perhaps the studio's executives (whoever is pulling the strings) thought that Mr. Anderson would be a good choice simply because he made one of the only successful game to movie translations yet with "Mortal Combat". But the thing is, his vision of Mortal Combat was really not so different from the original feel of the MK arcade game -where as his vision of RE appears to differ immensely from the original game.

On the other hand, George Romero's style of directing is perfectly suited for a RE film. Hell, George Romero's films INSPIRED the Resident Evil games.

It's a real shame that he did not end up at the helm of this film.

Scott Dill

Stunt Coordinator
Intersting, If Romero was at the helm I too would be interested despite the weak source material.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
As a big fan of the game I am really excited to see this. I like Paul Anderson (I loved Event Horizon) and I think the movie will turn out good.

The trailer looks good and I'm glad to see the "licker" creature and the dogs. I'm hoping the "hunters" show up. I think it keeps the overall feel of the RE series. The RE series has become allot more about action than horror so I have no problems with some of the changes.

One thing I hope (and as mentioned in another thread) is someone gets to work on a Silent Hill movie. My hope (although I dont ever think he would do it) is for David Lynch to direct it.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I begin to wonder how Paul Anderson landed this perticular job
Mortal Kombat.
I seem to be in the minority here, but I don't think Anderson has ever turned in a good film. Unfortunately, I don't expect a reversal of that trend. :frowning:
It's too clean. Too shiny. I'm surprised there wasn't some overused Propeller Heads music. It looks like it is substituting action for horror & fear, which means it ain't Resident Evil (at least in my book).
I'll bet dollars to donuts that we'll see a 2 disc DVD, chock full of marketing fluff.
-Dave

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Anderson has ever turned in a good film.
I personally enjoyed Even Horizon and Mortal Kombat was lame, but fun.

I wish George Romero was still directing this movie that would have been classic. I will still see this movie because I am a sucker for seeing some of my fave video games turned into movies... even if they are bad.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The way I see it so far is that this movie will probably have a cheesy lead in at the beginning, but the actual action will be great. The fact that it is not based too strictly or too loosely on the games will help it a lot.

I think that Capcom (the company who makes the games) hated Romero's script (or didn't approve of it) and thus kicked him off the project. They approached Anderson, and he did it to their liking.

The one thing missing from the movie (so far) is the obvious old-style mansion, but considering each game ended up in some science lab anyway, I can let it go. Though the name "Resident Evil" makes less sense.

I hope the movies are designed to take place during the games and sort of mirror them, but with their own stories, characters, and action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks