Resident Evil GC - HUGE Disappointment

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JayF, Jul 30, 2002.

1. JayF

JayF Stunt Coordinator

Recently purchased a GC after the price cut and was pretty excited to play Resident Evil after all the positive reviews. The last time I played an RE game was the original Playstation version and I'd forgotten how much I HATED the play mechanics. Yes the graphics looks good, but my God, if the same problems that plague this game appeared with any other game it would get terrible reviews. The lame "but it wouldn't be RE otherwise" excuse is BS.

Control totally sucks. The split second "freezing" of the screen as the camera perspective changes sucks. The lame "find the map at the top of a statue" puzzles suck. I just can't believe the hype surrounding this title. What a wasted 50 bucks.

2. Willy burz

Willy burz Stunt Coordinator

Complain somewhere else, the game is very fun and the controls are fine once you know how to use them.

3. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

they couldn't have the control any different than it is. If it was like Devil May Cry it would lose about 90% of its scare factor. Same thing with the camera. all of the elements you dislike are all necessary ingredients to a survial horror game.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I dislike the controls, but after a few minutes of playing the game I can get used to them. Play through the game a lot and the control problems go away.

5. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I was never thrilled with the controls, but it's a great game. I Look forward to inexpensive renditions of 2 & 3, and the new games. RE0 looks amazing.

6. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

JayF,
    That is why I didn't pick it up. Go out and get yourself Eternal Darkness instead. The control scheme is a lot different.
    -Andre F

7. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

This type of gameplay is definitely an acquired taste. I think the concept is great as are the graphics, but could do without the controls. I never have been able to get used them.

8. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

The controls never bothered me once I got past the learning curve. Not perfect maybe, but it sure didn't detract from the game.

9. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

I've tried playing Resident Evil games several times (my brother does like them), but I've never been able to cope with the dire excuse for a control system either. You're not on your own, don't worry.

10. Craig A

Craig A Stunt Coordinator

I don't know what you were expecting. It's a remake. All the things you didn't like about the first game were pretty much assured of being in this version. Every preview basically told you that the play mechanics are the same, it's the graphics that were upgraded.
    RE for the Cube isn't a "Huge Disappointment". For fans of the series, and those of us who have no problem with it's control scheme, it was a real treat.

11. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Why couldn't they have included the control scheme from RE2 for N64? It was analogue control... and the game was still DAMN scary! I HATED RE1 (had never played it... only RE2 and Code Veronica... which I enjoyed).

12. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

God damnit, don't complain, I can't stand non-appreciative complaints againsta hard work devoted time for such a well made game. Don't overlook it, appreciate it. Appreciate it's visuals, appreciate it's atmosphere, appreciate it's ability to revisit the first chapter and do a damn damn good job. Control Scheme C is easy as hell. If your brain functions properly where the hell is the problem? The "lame" ass map puzzle is normal. IT IS A REMAKE, why the hell would it be any different. Why isn't everything else lame for that matter??? Jesus.... game kicks ass.. Damn non-appreciative people..

-Bert

13. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Err, Bert, its not like this is a thread-fart on a RE appreciation topic. I was fortunate enough to get a go on this without paying for it first, and I'm really glad I did. I'd truly forgotten how horrible the control system is, as I haven't felt the urge to touch the series in a couple of years.

P.S. I believe that my brain does function properly, so I disagree on that point.

14. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron

15. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

16. BertFalasco

Iain, I'm not implying this is a praise RE thread, not at all. I also made a damn good point, if one hates a puzzle in a remake, why not hate the whole game, it is of course "lame." Yet, you didn't touch this part Iain, why?

If Jay played the original (excuse the "if," I'm not assuming, he posted such) on PSX and "HATED" the mechanics, and he did do his homework and read about the "hype" there is a high probobility someone has reviewed the "bad" controls.

In theory, it's one's fault. Do research.

-Bert

P.S. I typed "properly," not "properly." Yes, there is a difference, hence the invention of italics. No need to elaborate.

17. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    It sounds to me JayF hasn't really had much experience with the RE series. Most noteably, he complains of the puzzles... Dont all RE's have puzzles similar to this? Find the map, push the blocks, mix some stuff, etc?

18. JayF

JayF Stunt Coordinator

Bert-

I agree with you that it's my own fault. Yes, I did read reviews that comment on the controls, in fact most do. I just found it surprising that no improvements were made & yet the game still receives such high ratings because of its eye-candy factor.

A game like Gunvalkyre (I know it's a different genre) was almost universally panned because of "bad" controls when in fact they weren't bad they were just "different". With practice they were very precise. It's just the double standard that bugs me and as I said in my post I just have a hard time accepting bad controls just because its RE.

Anyway, I certainly didn't mean to anger as many people who seem to be taking such offense to my post. Obviously the RE series has been a cashcow for Capcom & why tinker with a good thing. I personally like innovation so I've learned through this experience that RE is not for me.

Jay

19. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think the controls are kind of logical. Press forward, your character moves forward. Press left/right, your character turns left/right.

20. BertFalasco

We tieeeet again now Jay. [​IMG]
    -Bert