Resident Evil games could be heading to all platforms

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by paul h, Apr 9, 2003.

  1. paul h

    paul h Supporting Actor

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 1999
    Messages:
    544
    Likes Received:
    0
    Good news if youre a fan of the series and like me dont own a Cube.


    "A Japanese publication has reported Capcom may be reconsidering its relationship with Nintendo concerning Gamecube.

    According to Nikkei Business Daily, Capcom will still be bringing Resident Evil 4 to GC exclusively, but the following titles are expected to be made for other platforms as well. The originally thought GC exclusives P.N.03, Killer 7, Viewtiful Joe and Dead Phoenix were already reconfirmed to be multiformat titles in an embarrassing mix up.

    The disappointing sales figures of the GC titles are said to be the reason behind this shift, while Capcom is said to want to increase the limited 1.5 per cent of overall sales that Xbox accounts for."
     
  2. JamesH

    JamesH Supporting Actor

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2000
    Messages:
    662
    Likes Received:
    0
    Heh, looks like Capcom decided to rethink alienating 85% of it's target audience by putting Resident Evil on the Cube instead of the PS2.
     
  3. Masood Ali

    Masood Ali Supporting Actor

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2002
    Messages:
    921
    Likes Received:
    0
    PS2 is already getting Resident Evil Online; how many other RE titles have they announced besides RE4?
     
  4. Romier S

    Romier S Producer

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 1999
    Messages:
    3,526
    Likes Received:
    0
     
  5. Cameron Seaman

    Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 1998
    Messages:
    708
    Likes Received:
    0
    I thought the original plan was only to keep Resident Evil exclusive to the Gamecube only through part 4 anyway. I don't remember any announcements about following titles to be exclusive as well.
     
  6. Jeff Kleist

    Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 1999
    Messages:
    11,267
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yup, and the games have sold like crap compared to what they should have. Tht's why Capcom is ducking out
     
  7. Morgan Jolley

    Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2000
    Messages:
    8,723
    Likes Received:
    115
    Hmm...a remake, 2 extremely crappy ports, and a game that has been delayed for a few years sold poorly on the GameCube? Nah!

    They still have to release RE:CV and RE4 (which is supposed to be amazing).

    And even so, they could release RE4 on PS2/XB so long as they do so after a certain amount of time of it being on GCN only.
     
  8. Mark Evans

    Mark Evans Supporting Actor

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2001
    Messages:
    585
    Likes Received:
    0
    Perhaps somebody can explain to me exactly why every thread about the GameCube turns into a bash-session, yet if the same thing were tried in an X-Box game thread there'd be so many people calling foul that it'd sound like a henhouse... [​IMG]

    Cameron I do believe you are correct about the series, Res Evil 4 was a guaranteed exclusive and then Capcom would reassess their position after that one was released.
     
  9. Joe Szott

    Joe Szott Screenwriter

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2002
    Messages:
    1,962
    Likes Received:
    0
    I think the key here is the reassesment period. I suspect if Nintendo is willing to pony up enough cash, RE will continue to be GC only. If not, then they'll explore other options.

    It makes sense for Capcom to do this. A lot like the $$$ dispute between James Gandolfini and HBO earlier this year. Until Gandolfini was willing to walk, HBO wasn't going to offer to double his salary. He would have been crazy to not keep making Sopranos episodes, but HBO would have been crazier to not just pay him a little more to keep making them.

    I'm sure Nintendo will do what it needs to do, regardless of Capcom's stance.
     
  10. Morgan Jolley

    Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2000
    Messages:
    8,723
    Likes Received:
    115
     
  11. Jean-Michel

    Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2002
    Messages:
    769
    Likes Received:
    0
    I find it odd that this thread is focusing on the RE aspect of this story when there is nothing surprising there. The original Nikkei Business Daily article stated that RE4, at least, will still be a GC exclusive. Since RE4 won't be out until 2004 chances are any RE titles beyond that probably won't even be for this generation of consoles, so the GC exclusivity issue is moot.

    This article is important because it claims that Capcom is going to shift away from its GC exclusivity and focus more on PS2 and Xbox development, but as far as RE is concerned this probably won't change anything.
     
  12. Morgan Jolley

    Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2000
    Messages:
    8,723
    Likes Received:
    115
    Capcom has the RE games and that group of games they announced a few months ago going to the GameCube first (Viewtiful Joe, PN03, 3 others I think). They've got Onimusha 3, RE Online, the Capcom vs. games, MegaMan X7, and Street Fighter on PS2. The X-Box is getting some of the Vs. games, Dino Crisis 3, and Steel Battallion.

    So yeah, the X-Box is getting screwed overall. The GameCube and PS2 are getting the most.

    Then again, they put a lot of effort into the DC and it died...
     

Share This Page