What's new

Resident Evil 0 review posted... (1 Viewer)

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Well, it sounds like a Res Evil game to me. I mean, you expect to fight with the control and work bizarro puzzles that make no sense right? I expect that the huge paradigm shift is going to come with Resident Evil 4 anyway, so this is one final push for the old formula (not that I'd mind if Res Evil 4 is the same too :D).
Now that the games are actually starting to form a huge cohesive story arc I'm looking forward to the story more than anything from my Res Evil games. That this is the first new-new one since Code Veronica only sweetens the pot.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I agree, you don't go into a RE game expecting excellent control or different puzzles. Frankly, I LOVED the remake(I've played through it like 4 times) but didn't care for CV. My copy is waiting for me 25 minutes away but I have an exam tonight in my night class so I have to spend my few hours of down time studying for that. Tomorrow though I'm done with class at noon so I'm gonna bolt off to the mall and enjoy RE 0 tomorrow afternoon.

Chris Duran

Stunt Coordinator
The only bad thing I've heard about the game from these reviews is them bitching about the control, I personally have never had a single problem with any of the control in any of the RE games, and personally have loved every single one. I've played a little bit of Zero, and damn it's sweet, gotta get back to playing. :)

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Gah, it's killing me I have to wait so long to play this game, but I literally have no life right now thanks to my studies.

MY only complaint with the game, based solely on what I've been reading, is that they took out the Control type C from the remake. I have to say that that was my all-time favorite RE control scheme, and I'm rather sad to see it go.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Does anybody know if this game is 480P and 16:9?
No and no....and no Dolby DPL II either.

I'm ditching the series with this one. I used to have fun playing the games, but now I'm just tired of fighting the stiff controls with every installment.

I'm also tired of cheap tactics used to make the game more difficult. For example, camera angles that don't let you see down a hall or even to the other side of a room. WTF? These are human characters, not some near-sighted insects, why can't I see anything? Then you have lame inventory system. You should be able to carry tons of small items (lighters, medallions, coins, keys, etc...), but with your weapons, you can only carry a few. Then you have the ammo. How is that members of some military-type unit can put on their uniforms, jump into their helicopter to go check out a potentially bad situation and not bring enough guns to go around and no ammo? At least bring a few clips.

I could put up with this 7 years ago when the game was fresh, but now I'm tired of it.

They need to overhaul the controls, make the game challenging without using such cheap tactics, include widescreen and progressive scan support, include (at least) DPL II surround sound, and possibly get a new story line going. Seriously, how can a game that relies heavily on atmosphere not employ a good surround sound format? Ridiculous. The series also needs to go fully 3D and stay that way. If they do most of these, then I'll be willing to give the series another go.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I can understand the complaints but frankly I could care less. I LOVED the remake and hopefully if this one is half as fun I'll be in heaven.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Picked it up today. So far I like it but it's definitely a different play mechanic than the previous RE game. The character switching is kinda dumb except for when it's needed but when it's used well it's quite good. Being able to drop items is nice. Load times don't seem much longer despite what someone said earlier. graphics are even better, cut scenes are amazing. All in all if you like the RE games it'll be a solid buy.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Forgot to add that it looks like they removed defense items. :angry: Those saved me quite a few times in the RE remake.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Can a mod change the thread title and make this an official review/discussion thread?
for anyone else playing
ok I'm at the point where I need to stop the train. I grab the keycard, go to the back of the train and reach the keypad. I have no idea what the code is. I entered 5567 and it seemed to accept it but when I couldn't figure out what to do next. There was no brake lever back there(or atleast I couldn't pull it) and when i got back to the front I couldn't do anything.
Any help?

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Dave, you have to punch in numbers that add up to the number on the screen. I believe the one at the back of the car is 36. Keep hitting numbers that add up to 36 but you have to use a certain amount, 10 different numbers I believe. The one at the front of the train is 81, just hit the number nine 8 times, then 4, then 5. (Or any other combination you like)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Hmm, stuck again.
I'm in the room with the giant chess board. when I start moving the pieces , poison gas begins to fill the room. I use the green chemical and the blue herbs but I can't move them fast enough.
Any suggestions?

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Hmmm..., I haven't played it since the other night. I might be playing it tonight and tomorrow. It sounds a lot like an old R.E. puzzle? When I come across it I'll post about it, unless you beat it by then.:)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
One big jump so far, but that was only because I wasn't paying attention to the shadows.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
One big jump so far
I'm not finding the game to be very scary at all. I haven't even had a good jump yet. With that said, I can't help but love the fact that this is by far the most action packed Resident Evil of all (even moreso than Code Veronica). The opening train area was really fun as hell with Zombies coming out of everywhere and some really nice tense firefights! I'm ok with a action substituting fear in this one:D.
The graphics are of course gorgeus though the environments have definitely become more static after leaving the train, I'm hoping we get some more of those nice indoor lighting affect ala the RE remake a little later.
So far I just solved the clock puzzle and saved the game. Anyone else scrounging for ammo about now?? Geez, there isn't much fear to be had here but there is sure is tension and stress. I'm always afraid I'm going to end up having to go back and get my knife! EEK! I feel I've been pretty conservative with the ammo as well but I'm still running low. I'll continue and hopefully come upon a nice stash.
By the way, is it me or is Billy like a total APE! The man could have that train run into him and he'd shrug it off. Bad ass supreme.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Res Evil games have never been all that scary, honestly. I have a handful of jumps at them, and they're even more fun played in the dark, but they're supposed to be Zombie movies, not horror movies :D.
Usually when I let my guard down, I get frightened.
Ah, and, of course, couldn't just hold out that little while longer, I went out and purchased yon game yesterday. And it's bloody hard! Criminy. I thought Code Veronica was going to be the epitome of my Res Evil ass-whuppin', but such is thus far not the case.
Love, love, love the graphics. They're arguably better than the remake (thus far on the train at least) and the rain effect is phenomenal. All the shots on the roof of the train are brilliantly done.
Don't like my lack of control C, though I knew that was coming. Defense item-less-ness is ok, I'll survive that one, it actually ups that difficulty factor.
And Romier, agree about Billy, he's one of my fave characters now. He's got attitude, but not Poochy style overkill attitude. The dude's just a tank, he got hammered by the first boss and it took about six hits to damage him. Great tension when the roof first goes 'whump'.
I'll say more later, right now I have to dole out the pain ;).

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
In terms of difficulty, I started out on Normal but was getting wooped on so I started over and am playing on easy. In easy ink ribbons and ammo is overplentiful(There's been instances where I can't pickup handgun ammo because I already have 255 bullets).It's still challenging but I think they made easy too easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks