What's new

Resident Alien (2021) (1 Viewer)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
At this point, Max knows his parents don't believe him on these things, so I doubt he will tell them about the lady snooping in his room.

There's a difference here, though. This time, instead of telling them that the lady is a bad lady who's spying on him, and making his parents think he's telling stories, he can go to his mother, say, "There's something on my computer I need to show you," play the video for her without comment, and let her come to her own conclusion.

Of course, it's not clear that Max would take that tack, but...

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Great season finale.

I must say that the resolution of what the police probably called "a home invasion" was absolutely hilarious. And while it does have a reasonable sized cliffhanger of sorts (and a few smaller ones), it wasn't as big as some of the ones we've seen at the end of previous episodes. I am looking forward to season 2.

The one disappointment I had was the actual answer to the Sam Hodges murder. I would have liked to see a motive revealed there.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Disappointed that the season is finished and there won't be any new episodes for some time (hence the :( emoticon to Neil's 'season finale' post.) But having said that, I also think it was a very satisfying finale.

There was a lot to like in the episode. Happy to see the Sheriff and Deputy Liv mend fences and be on the same page, thought the mayor and his wife's handling of the home invaders was hilarious, some nice bonding between D'arcy and Jay at Jimmy's expense, the kids were great, more dead Harry, and it looks like psycho agent is just human after all.

I interpreted Asta's declaration of friendship at the base to be a bald-faced lie to get Harry to abort his plan to exterminate humanity - it was an abrupt turnaround from their last encounter and she hugged him, which we now know is her lying 'tell'. So that relationship will probably be very fraught whenever they meet again.

To Neil's point regarding (real) Harry's murder of Sam, I suspect that situation will be explored in season two as the Sheriff and Deputy Liv explore the case involving the second murder.

I'm already missing this show. Hope it comes back relatively soon.

- Walter.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
To Neil's point regarding (real) Harry's murder of Sam, I suspect that situation will be explored in season two as the Sheriff and Deputy Liv explore the case involving the second murder.
Actual Harry being the murderer complicates things for our alien. I have absolutely no idea how they are going to write themselves out of that without his revealing himself to everyone involved. And even though he was narrating over the scene, he doesn't know the truth either. The truth about the real Harry, though, could mend things a bit with Asta.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Actual Harry being the murderer complicates things for our alien. I have absolutely no idea how they are going to write themselves out of that without his revealing himself to everyone involved. And even though he was narrating over the scene, he doesn't know the truth either. The truth about the real Harry, though, could mend things a bit with Asta.

I really hadn't thought through the implications of that reveal, but that makes a lot of sense. And yes, clearly (alien) Harry is unaware of his predecessor's actions.

One other thought about last night's episode - does Harry's disposal of the corpse mean no more 'dead Harry'? I hope not.

- Walter.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Fun finale! The show has grown on me from the pilot, as I got into its weird groove. Definitely looking forward to a second season.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Great season finale.

I must say that the resolution of what the police probably called "a home invasion" was absolutely hilarious. And while it does have a reasonable sized cliffhanger of sorts (and a few smaller ones), it wasn't as big as some of the ones we've seen at the end of previous episodes. I am looking forward to season 2.

The one disappointment I had was the actual answer to the Sam Hodges murder. I would have liked to see a motive revealed there.
Maybe real Harry wanted to be the town doctor.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think that subplot is far from over. The reason that reveal was included now was to re-frame "Harry" as a sympathetic protagonist rather than a hilariously flawed anti-hero. Yes, "our" Harry murdered a guy! But his victim, the real Harry, was also a murderer, so it's okay!

thought the mayor and his wife's handling of the home invaders was hilarious
The funniest part for me was that you know they ran upstairs and screwed each other's brains out while two police officers and two schoolchildren were downstairs knowing exactly what was about to go down.

some nice bonding between D'arcy and Jay at Jimmy's expense
One thing that I really appeciated is that, as hurt and betrayed as Jay feels toward her bio mom at the moment, she's still fiercely loyal to Asta when it counts. After all, before Jay knew Asta gave birth to her, she was the co-worker who was always looking out for her.

it looks like psycho agent is just human after all.
The interesting thing about that whole situation is that her saner partner knows that General Linda Hamilton wants him dead, so he's got every incentive to work with Team Alien and against his former superiors.

I interpreted Asta's declaration of friendship at the base to be a bald-faced lie to get Harry to abort his plan to exterminate humanity - it was an abrupt turnaround from their last encounter and she hugged him, which we now know is her lying 'tell'. So that relationship will probably be very fraught whenever they meet again.
I think it was definitely strategic and tactical, but there was a lot of real feeling in there as well. It will be interesting to see where that relationship goes in the future.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The interesting thing about that whole situation is that her saner partner knows that General Linda Hamilton wants him dead, so he's got every incentive to work with Team Alien and against his former superiors.

Good observation. That seems like a likely plot element for season two. Survival and a little payback constitutes a pretty good motive for changing allegiances.

- Walter.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I was surprised that Asta didn't try to convince Harry of his change in feelings by asking him why he landed his ship, and come out to save her and Max, when he'd just be killing them later along with everyone else on Earth.

As for Original Harry being Sam's killer, I agree that it seems to somehow give justification for New Harry's killing of Original Harry. It's not like they had to present some resolution for Sam's murder in case the show didn't get renewed as they already had Sam's wife positioned to take the fall. There's still the motivation, as the wife never gave any indication through word or glance that there was anything going on between her and Original Harry.

Oddly enough, while there are dangling threads, it did feel like the more immediate issues were resolved in case the show didn't get renewed. I felt that I'd be reasonably satisfied with what they gave us, and wouldn't have felt cheated if the series didn't get renewed (not that I'm not happy that it did).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Watched the finale last night, and my DVR cut off just before it was over. Did I miss anything?

I saw up the point where they revealed:

Max hiding on Harry's ship. Then it cuts off before there's any reaction or dialogue.

The funniest part for me was that you know they ran upstairs and screwed each other's brains out while two police officers and two schoolchildren were downstairs knowing exactly what was about to go down.

At that point, it was just Max and the two cops, I believe, as the girl had already been picked up by her mother. But that seems implied, as the chief even makes the suggestion as they're mauling each other, "you have a perfectly good room right up those stairs, you know."

My only issue with the scene of the parents fighting the agents was that most all of the blows missed. I'm not sure if that was intentional to be funny, or if it was just bad fight-acting? Max remarked they both had lots of blood on their clothes, but I'm not sure from what as it seemed like there was little contact.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Max asks Harry if he is going to take him home. "Are you going to take me home now?" or something like. Alien Harry's response is an angry "This is some bullshit!" and then the show cuts to credits.

- Walter.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
So... the one who started the thread finally got to watch the last 4 episodes...

The way they finished?

"This is some bullshit!"

That lines seems totally fitting.

Can't wait for season 2!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks