What's new

Resident Alien (2021) (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Has the series dealt with levitation and levitation fields, beyond what I describe below?

We've seen the unfortunate individual who was trapped by a field and eventually died from exposure / dehydration in the wilderness and we've seen the suspended apple, which the kids should not have touched. I was trying to remember if there were any other references or exposition about the fields; which I am assuming are tied to the alien ship's propulsion systems.

Also trying to remember if that was the "alien hunters" (from the RV) who found the suspended corpse in the wilderness. (??)

- Walter.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Has the series dealt with levitation and levitation fields, beyond what I describe below?

We've seen the unfortunate individual who was trapped by a field and eventually died from exposure / dehydration in the wilderness and we've seen the suspended apple, which the kids should not have touched. I was trying to remember if there were any other references or exposition about the fields; which I am assuming are tied to the alien ship's propulsion systems.

Also trying to remember if that was the "alien hunters" (from the RV) who found the suspended corpse in the wilderness. (??)

- Walter.
I think those two are the only explicit bits we've seen so far.

I didn't think it was the working-for-a-general people who found the suspended corpse, but I'd have to go back and rewatch.

I'm hoping the next episodes clarifies the timeline. The first couple episodes, and his search for the ship, showed the ship crashed outside Patience near the cabin. And the implication was that he crashed nearby as well, staggering into the cabin, killing the doctor, and taking over his life.

But then, they showed him cowboy-ing it up hundreds of miles away, and maybe months before. So, still confused by what's going on there.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I think those two are the only explicit bits we've seen so far.

I didn't think it was the working-for-a-general people who found the suspended corpse, but I'd have to go back and rewatch.

I'm hoping the next episodes clarifies the timeline. The first couple episodes, and his search for the ship, showed the ship crashed outside Patience near the cabin. And the implication was that he crashed nearby as well, staggering into the cabin, killing the doctor, and taking over his life.

But then, they showed him cowboy-ing it up hundreds of miles away, and maybe months before. So, still confused by what's going on there.

Agreed. Things were tracking fairly straight forward and then the timeline got a little wonky.

Some shows have episodes that I sort of force myself to get through to maintain the series, but (at least to date) this series has been a real pleasure to view. Probably the most entertaining thing I'm watching right now.

- Walter.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
One thing I'm enjoying about this show so far: It's got quite a few Native American characters without making the plot all about being Native American or getting into exoticized spiritual mumbo-jumbo. Instead it just adds texture, both good -- the sense of family and community when "Harry" went with Asta and her adoptive father to give the matriarch her shot -- and the bad, in terms of Asta's very unstable upbringing and the questionable choices that resulted from it.

It probably doesn't hurt having Gary Farmer in the cast, since he's basically like a built-in consultant for getting that sort of thing right, if they're taking advantage of his knowledge and expertise.

Alice Wetterlund seems like she's having a blast as D'arcy, who is running a close third behind "Harry" and the sheriff when it comes to weirdest person in town.

A lesser show would have had the friend of the mayor's son try to go to Harry's cabin while he was over for diner. Running to the nearby hardware store to get a copy of his house key cut was a much smarter and more plausible strategy.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Monday evening SYFY replayed episodes 1 to 4, so I didn't have to sit through a bunch of commercials revisiting the episodes via streaming. At the end of episode two the body of the unfortunate hiker is found by a man and woman. Revisiting the RV scene in episode four I confirmed that they are the same individuals (working for the General to find an alien.) So, got that loose end tied up. :)

- Walter.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Tonight's episode had some nice progress on a number of fronts.

Does anyone know who is playing Harry's wife? I didn't notice a listing for her in the credits or on imdb when looking just now. Of course, they might update the page.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Did a quick google search and Harry's wife is played by Elvy Yost. The character's name is Isabelle.

Random thoughts:

The series has been compared to Northern Exposure and Yost gives off a little bit of a Janine Turner vibe, at least to me.
Nature Boy by Nat King Cole is a terrific song and I really loved its use in tonight's episode.
Nice to see Harry starting to warm up to our species in some ways, which I suppose is what has been anticipated.

- Walter.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Did a quick google search and Harry's wife is played by Elvy Yost. The character's name is Isabelle.

Random thoughts:

The series has been compared to Northern Exposure and Yost gives off a little bit of a Janine Turner vibe, at least to me.
Nature Boy by Nat King Cole is a terrific song and I really loved its use in tonight's episode.
Nice to see Harry starting to warm up to our species in some ways, which I suppose is what has been anticipated.

- Walter.
Thanks for the find. Weird that she is only listed in imdb by "Elvy." I recognize her from "The Catch."

She was reminding me of the character, Mia (played by Heike Makatsch), who seduced Alan Rickman's character in Love Actually.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tonight's episode had some nice progress on a number of fronts.
Yes, I'm really appreciating the lack of wheel spinning so far. Lesser shows would have dragged out Jaye learning about her true parentage, and the secret war between "Harry" and the two grade schoolers.

The series has been compared to Northern Exposure
It's the same basic premise if you think about it: An outsider from a distant place comes to a remote community of oddballs, taking up the role of local doctor. Said doctor struggles as a fish out of water, struggling to assimilate while experiencing severe culture shock.

Each episode has actually done a good job of moving the ball forward on that front. The longer he spends in human form, the more he comes to appreciate and relate to humanity.

It's not like he was ever evil; every horrible thing he did early on was pragmatically sound. He comes from a species that does not emote in its natural state, so his actions weren't burdened by guilt or remorse. It seems like his journey has is taking him from being perfectly amoral to accruing some sort of morality to guide him.

This show is still very good and I hope enough people are watching it that it gets another season.
Unlike some of the other Syfy shows that have broken my heart with a premature cancellation, this one seems pretty cheap to make. Alan Tudyk is the only name actor among the series regulars, so the cost of cast salaries can't be too extravagant. (Based on the preview for next week, one other major name actress is arriving next week, but I won't spoil it.) The structure of the storytelling makes heavy use of a handful of standing sets, and the location shooting doesn't require a lot of production design because it's a real place standing in for this fictional town.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I finally caught up to last week's episode this morning, just in time for another to be aired last night (gonna try to watch that one tonight).

I thought that it had a nice parallel between the three storylines (Harry+kids, Harry+Isabelle, Asta+Jaye).

My favourite line/exchange was between Harry and Jimmy out on the street when Harry introduced himself stating "I think that we met briefly"...

With last night's episode being #6, only 4 more left in the season according to the SyFy press release (for a 10 episode season).

Overall, the show seems to be getting pretty decent viewer numbers for SyFy (~1-1.2M viewers live, and another ~1.5M via DVR, for 2.5-2.7M total each week). Along with very positive critical reviews... fingers crossed for a second season.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Enjoyed the reveal of the identity of 'The General'. This episode gave us more background on the search for the alien ship and its occupant and really moved that storyline forward.

It felt like there were a lot of irons in the fire in this particular episode, so the focus was less on humor and more on plot development. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but the laughs were a bit more scattered in this episode. At least that is how I saw it.

Still really holding up well. With only four episodes remaining curious to see how far the plot advances. Expecting a big cliff hanger ending to season one, but I guess we'll see soon enough.

- Walter.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Still really holding up well. With only four episodes remaining curious to see how far the plot advances. Expecting a big cliff hanger ending to season one, but I guess we'll see soon enough.

- Walter.
Well, we just got a pretty big cliffhanger at the end of tonight's episode.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Well, the final scene felt like it might have been in the film Cliffhanger. :)

I've been sporting a mustache my entire adult life, and I don't belong in either of Harry's categorizations. Most certainly not the latter. :) I loved the fact that they circled back to that joke when Harry traveled to the school with Max.

The bowling pin bong was a nice prop. Sort of made me wonder if that was a real thing or something constructed for the episode.

I am really going to miss this show when the season concludes.

- Walter.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I love that he's in Alien costume whenever he's with Max. Nice bit of internal consistency.

I like the Deputy ever more, though the sheriff is getting harder to watch as he's just an insecure asshole.

Watching Tudyk play it straight as "dead" Harry was great, and reminded me of how much I like Alan Tudyk as a conventional actor, and would like to see more of that. :)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Watching Tudyk play it straight as "dead" Harry was great, and reminded me of how much I like Alan Tudyk as a conventional actor, and would like to see more of that. :)
But he’s such a good Alien. If he wasn’t good, the show wouldn’t be successful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks