What's new

Reservoir Dogs (1 Viewer)

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
What version of "Reservoir Dogs" is the one to go for. I've heard that the Region 4 SE has better picture than the Region 1 SE. Anyone compared them?

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to keep you waiting, but I've got both copies (bought the r1 first then won the r4) and wondered about the very same thing. The main problem I had with the region 1 version was that had poor contrast despite a very clean image.
At first when I popped the r4 into my player it looked pretty identical, aside from the better PAL resolution. However, when I put the r1 back in it was obvious how over-bright the picture on the r1 was compared to the r4.
The title card "Mr.Orange" before Tim Roth's scene in the diner is the best evidence of this - the black on the r4 version seems to be a lot more stable and overall the picture is noticeably better than the r1 edition.
Another thing of note is that some of the extras have swapped discs. On the r4, the critic's commentaries are now on disc 1 with the movie and the deleted scenes and interviews have now moved to disc 2. This happens to be a good decision, as the critics commentaries on the r4 are now presented in widescreen (as opposed to this being fullscreen on the r1).

Verdict: r4 all the way.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Hi Tim,

Thanks so much for the info. Are there any supplements missing from the Region 4 version that ARE on the Region 1 version (other than the fullscreen version of the film)?

Thanks again!

Dan_Ro

Auditioning
I think the Region 4 does not have dts, not a major hang up considering this film, isn't one which lends it self to dts, none the less it isn't there.

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
As far as I can tell the region 4 is identical to the r1 in the extras department, it DOES have DTS but I think the r4 is missing the DD2.0 track (no big loss)... I might also add that I the r4 cover looks a lot nicer!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks