Reservoir Dogs Special Edition- $7.97 (with no tax and no shipping)

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by keith*m, Mar 26, 2004.

1. keith*m

keith*m Agent

I'm too new to post links (Grrrrrrr!!).....

but the deal is at Deepdiscountdvd.com

2. Jonas Pearson

Jonas Pearson Stunt Coordinator

With my recent terrible experiences with DDD it would have to be free for me to even consider it...

3. keith*m

keith*m Agent

I've purchased MANY disks there w/no problem. Tell me a story.....

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Bah, I've ordered HUNDREDS of discs from DDD and have NEVER had a problem.

5. Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau Supporting Actor

I've never had a problem with Deep Discount either, but this thread got me to thinking about some more great deals they have on the old Wade Williams/Corinth/Image DVD series, which are available there in 2 packs for 7.98 each. These discs were ridiculously expensive when they first came out, now they're about four bucks each.

This link to an earlier thread will provide some of the titles to look for:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=173057

Two additional ones I discovered recently at Deep Discount for the same price are:
    The Crawling Eye/Invaders From Mars 50th Ann. Edition
    Plan 9 From Outer Space/Robot Monster
    These sets all consist of two individual amaray-cased movies shrink-wrapped together.

All in all, it's a fantastic deal if you love old B-movies.

6. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

Brian,
    Keep running into you....
    How is the quality of that Plan 9 disk? I have a really poor one from Passport Video and would love to upgrade. Plus they watermarked their logo on the whole disk!

7. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

Same here.

8. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Brian, I'd also be interested in your thoughts on the Plan 9 disc.

No problems with DDD here, either, unless you consider Media Mail shipping a problem. I would categorize it as more of an annoyance. [​IMG]

9. Jon B NY

Jon B NY Stunt Coordinator

DDD is a great internet service. Awesome prices and awesome customer service. But a lot of people became very unhappy with them over the holiday season with that 20% off coupon. While it was a great deal, a lot of people depended on them for holiday presents. They should have had a better stock ready to go before posting a coupon like that in November. They weren't prepared and it showed. Some of the seasons hottest titles were out of stock after 2 days of that coupon being available. And then if you called customer service to find out when your order of it would be shipped...January was not an answer you wanted to hear. This happened to me with one of my gifts. They weren't ready for the rush and it created a lot of unsatisfied customers. I bet you that's Jonas' beef w/ them.

10. TimSmith

TimSmith Auditioning

I have never had a problem with DDD either. Sometimes it takes a little longer for DVD's to get here compared to other sites but the prices are just too good!

11. Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau Supporting Actor

Well, I'm no home theatre expert, but I'd say the Image PLAN 9 is probably the best you're going to see. Wade William's print is probably the best out there. It's in quite excellent condition. This disc also contains a 2-hour documentary FLYING SAUCERS OVER HOLLYWOOD, which while full of interesting facts and interview subjects, features production value that would've made Ed Wood proud, with poor framing, irritating audio background noise and subjects who appear to have been interviewed in their apartments with bad lighting. Perhaps this was all intentional, but there's a lot of good info in the doc nonetheless. If I recall correctly (as this disc was actually a rebuy just to get ROBOT MONSTER; so it's been a while since I've seen the doc), this one has one of the original actors visit the studio where Wood shot the film, which is kinda cool. This is not the same doc from the Passport DVD, which I also count among my collection. That doc is more of a patchwork affair combining some original cast interviews and promo interviews with Johnny Depp, Martin Landau and others associated with Tim Burton's ED WOOD.

So all said, it's a steal for $7.98 considering you get two movies that used to retail for about $25US when they were first released.

12. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

Thanks Brian, guess I'll have to get a copy of it!
    Just noticed, the 2 pack is 7.98, plan 9 by itself is 10.97!!

13. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig

I got that set when I noticed the same thing, didn't even want Robot Monster at the time. It was dirt cheap in Canada too.

The Plan 9 looks very good, very clean considering, the strings on the flying saucers are very clear, the cockpit detail really stands out...

14. Jonas Pearson

Jonas Pearson Stunt Coordinator

I did take advantage of the 20% deal and waited for some items that were backordered. With those prices I wasn't about to complain.

My problem was with a recent order. I ordered AVIA at the end of Jan., and received Laura Croft Tomb Raider instead around Feb. 10th and immediately returned it. After waiting several weeks I called them to inquire about the status of the correct disc and had to deal with an incredibly rude CS rep who claimed that they hadn't received it. After waiting several more weeks I called again this time dealing with a pleasant CS rep who said that the correct disc would ship as soon as possible. Nearly two months after I placed the order I got the correct disc.

My issues are 1. That this was their error, not mine, but it was up to me to keep after them to correct it and 2. If I hadn't called the second time who knows when (if ever)they would have shipped the correct disc.

So I hope that you get what you order...