What's new

Reservoir Dogs and Pioneer DV-414 (1 Viewer)

Kelly W

Second Unit
Does anyone have a copy of the new Reservoir Dogs release and a Pioneer DV-414 player?

I do, and disc one of the set will NOT load. The machine will spin it, display that it's a DVD, and open the tray. The disc works in my other players, and disc two works in the Pioneer.

Does anybody else have this problem?

Thanks!!!

-Kelly

Kelly W

Second Unit
Okay,
I was pretty sure that the problem was with the player since the disc worked elsewhere, but I went back to the store to exchange it anyway.
Lo and behold, the new copy works. Problem solved. :D
I doubt this had anything to do with it, but the bad disc came from a "Mr. Brown" package and the good disc came from a "Mr. Pink" package. (I was able to convince the nice exchange lady to let me keep the brown slipcase, though. :))
Sorry if I caused anybody to panic. Hopefully, this was just an isolated case.
However, I would STILL like to know more about the different versions of the 414 and how to tell which one I have-- just for my own curiosity.
Thanks again!!!
-Kelly

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I think it has to do with the firmware revision. Beyond that, I don't know what to do about it other than have a Pioneer or other qualified service department update it.

I too have a 414, but don't know how to find out what revision I have.

Joel

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
I think the first version was sold prior to March 1999 and the second one after that with a firmware upgrade and pricedrop. The facade is different between the two just slightly, but I couldnt tell you what those differences are on the top of my head. probably someone in hardware could.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
No problems with my Mr. Blonde edition on my DV-414. I believe I bought it in winter of 1999, but I can't recall how to check the firmware version.
P.S. Just found this Link Removed where these instructions are given:
Hello all Pioneer DV-414 Region 1 owners. I am curious to know if Pioneer has made any recent changes to the Firmware level to address such problems as the lip-sync issue reported by some owners. Could I ask you use the procedure below and post your firmware level along with the manufacturing date from the back of machine.
1)Turn on TV & player without a DVD
2)Press MENU on the remote
3)Select INITIAL and press ENTER
4)Make sure OSD is highlighted & press DISPLAY.
The region & firmware will be displayed.
Here's mine:
MFG date January 1999
OSD Set
Region 1
Ver:2.264/4
AV1:3.32'C'
So, while I'm at it my firmware is:
Ver: 1.214/4
AV1: 3.32' C'

Kelly W

Second Unit
Well, I don't have a manufacturing date, but I bought it in January of 1999.
OSD Set.
Region: 1
Ver: 1.184/4
AV1: 3.32'C'
Wow. I guess my firmware version is older that BOTH of those listed above.
I haven't really had any problems, though. (*KNOCK* on wood. :))
The only lip-synch issue I've seen is the DTS track on Moulin Rouge, but everybody had that. Austin Powers, for example, always played fine. (But I haven't watched it since I got a larger TV-- maybe it is more noticeable now.)
Still, the player IS getting a little "long in the tooth", so I wouldn't be surprised if I do have to replace it one of these days.
Thanks, Dmitry, for finding that information!!!
-Kelly

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Kelly, perhaps I wasn't quite precise in my post. The manufacturing date is printed somewhere on the DVD player itself (I don't want to pull mine out of the rack, so I can't tell you exactly where, but I think it's somewhere on the back). Of course the mfg date is not as good a reference as the firmware version anyway.

Kelly W

Second Unit
Dmitry, that's what I figured, but I don't want to pull the unit out either. The whole mess of wires back there makes moving anything around quite a chore. :)
Do you guys think it is worth it to get the firmware updated? If I'm not having troubles, I guess not, eh? Besides, do you think anybody will still work on "antiques" like our DV-414s? :)
Out of curiosity, how much does a shop typically charge for such a service?
Thanks!
-Kelly

Ed O

Agent
This is kind of a non-post, but when I saw there were still some 414s being used, I just had to chime in. I've had one since Dec 98. I'll need to check the firmware for my own curiosity. Paid about $300 back then. Not too bad of a deal..component video, DTS, 96/24..certainly good features for then. If I recall correctly one of the HT mags considered it a hot deal or something (Home Theater, I think). I only experienced lip synch issues on a few discs and it hasn't been an issue for quite some time. In my opinion a good little machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks