Reservoir Dogs and Pioneer DV-414

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelly W, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Kelly W

Kelly W Second Unit

Does anyone have a copy of the new Reservoir Dogs release and a Pioneer DV-414 player?

I do, and disc one of the set will NOT load. The machine will spin it, display that it's a DVD, and open the tray. The disc works in my other players, and disc two works in the Pioneer.

Does anybody else have this problem?

Thanks!!!

-Kelly

2. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Don't have the disc yet, but I'll post as soon as it arrives.

3. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

seems to load fine in my 414. I should note that mine is the second version of the 414.

4. Kelly W

Kelly W Second Unit

Michael,

How can I tell which version of the 414 I have?

5. John McDevitt

I put in the widescreen disc and it worked fine. I'm not sure what version of the 414 I have?

6. Kelly W

Kelly W Second Unit

Okay,
    I was pretty sure that the problem was with the player since the disc worked elsewhere, but I went back to the store to exchange it anyway.
    Lo and behold, the new copy works. Problem solved. [​IMG]
    I doubt this had anything to do with it, but the bad disc came from a "Mr. Brown" package and the good disc came from a "Mr. Pink" package. (I was able to convince the nice exchange lady to let me keep the brown slipcase, though. [​IMG])
    Sorry if I caused anybody to panic. Hopefully, this was just an isolated case.
    However, I would STILL like to know more about the different versions of the 414 and how to tell which one I have-- just for my own curiosity.
    Thanks again!!!
    -Kelly

7. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    I think it has to do with the firmware revision. Beyond that, I don't know what to do about it other than have a Pioneer or other qualified service department update it.

I too have a 414, but don't know how to find out what revision I have.

Joel

8. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

I think the first version was sold prior to March 1999 and the second one after that with a firmware upgrade and pricedrop. The facade is different between the two just slightly, but I couldnt tell you what those differences are on the top of my head. probably someone in hardware could.

9. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

No problems with my Mr. Blonde edition on my DV-414. I believe I bought it in winter of 1999, but I can't recall how to check the firmware version.
    P.S. Just found this link where these instructions are given:

10. Kelly W

Kelly W Second Unit

Well, I don't have a manufacturing date, but I bought it in January of 1999.
    OSD Set.
    Region: 1
    Ver: 1.184/4
    AV1: 3.32'C'
    Wow. I guess my firmware version is older that BOTH of those listed above.
    I haven't really had any problems, though. (*KNOCK* on wood. [​IMG])
    The only lip-synch issue I've seen is the DTS track on Moulin Rouge, but everybody had that. Austin Powers, for example, always played fine. (But I haven't watched it since I got a larger TV-- maybe it is more noticeable now.)
    Still, the player IS getting a little "long in the tooth", so I wouldn't be surprised if I do have to replace it one of these days.
    Thanks, Dmitry, for finding that information!!!
    -Kelly

11. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Kelly, perhaps I wasn't quite precise in my post. The manufacturing date is printed somewhere on the DVD player itself (I don't want to pull mine out of the rack, so I can't tell you exactly where, but I think it's somewhere on the back). Of course the mfg date is not as good a reference as the firmware version anyway.

12. Kelly W

Kelly W Second Unit

Dmitry, that's what I figured, but I don't want to pull the unit out either. The whole mess of wires back there makes moving anything around quite a chore. [​IMG]
    Do you guys think it is worth it to get the firmware updated? If I'm not having troubles, I guess not, eh? Besides, do you think anybody will still work on "antiques" like our DV-414s? [​IMG]
    Out of curiosity, how much does a shop typically charge for such a service?
    Thanks!
    -Kelly

13. Ed O

Ed O Agent

This is kind of a non-post, but when I saw there were still some 414s being used, I just had to chime in. I've had one since Dec 98. I'll need to check the firmware for my own curiosity. Paid about $300 back then. Not too bad of a deal...component video, DTS, 96/24..certainly good features for then. If I recall correctly one of the HT mags considered it a hot deal or something (Home Theater, I think). I only experienced lip synch issues on a few discs and it hasn't been an issue for quite some time. In my opinion a good little machine.

14. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

The only disc Ive ever had a problem with is EVERYONE SAYS I LOVE YOU. wouldnt play any sound.