What's new

Reservoir Dogs 15th Anniversary Edition from Lionsgate on 10/24 (1 Viewer)

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will

I don't want this thread to lose relevance, but I agree with everything that's been said about Knowles. His unprofessional ramblings are fine on a website, but NOT on DVD extra material or packaging. His overblown "Are you scared? Good! You should be scared" nonsense in the Fight Club booklet has annoyed me for 6 years now!

donnie_d

Stunt Coordinator
lol,Mr.Knowles is just another lucky geek.i love his reviews.and he will always be the guy you love to hate and you hate to love.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I've never been a fan of Knowles and his "Blade II" review is one of the worst things to ever come out of the internet but I don't see why people are complaining about his lack of professionalism.

That's his whole claim to fame, he isn't a journalist or film student, just a morbidly obese nerd with a movie obsession like a lot of people that are into the same movies he's into.

I find it hard to get all wound up over Knowles but I think the people that resent him feel jealous because he's undeniably developed his own celebrity persona.

I don't think it's unreasonable to envy the fact that he's become wealthy based on his nerdiness but at the end of the day I look in the mirror and don't see what looks like Eric Stoltz's character from "Mask" after eating non-stop for 20 years and then I don't really envy Knowles.

Anyways, I have to bring up my point again: it's absolutely absurd and borderline insane to let something in an optional extra dissuade you from purchasing a DVD. If I can buy DVD's with "Family Guy" content on them you Knowles haters can buy DVD's that feature him and you can just choose not to watch those parts.

If this were a case of a DVD having a premium or retailer-exclusive edition that featured a Knowles disc that didn't come with every copy that would be one thing but we're talking about a DVD that might (if we're very lucky) correct the shortcomings of previous "Reservoir Dogs" discs. Can anyone rationally say that a clip of Harry Knowles in the supplements section outweighs (no pun intended) a movie properly presented on DVD for the first time ever (fingers crossed)? It's not like Tarantino has digitally replaced the late Chris Penn with Knowles within the movie itself.

Anyways, that's about all I can say about this matter, apply a little common sense to the issue and it pretty much speaks for itself.

On a more serious note, I'm optimistic that the problems might be corrected but I cannot ignore the fact that this release is SIX DAYS away and nobody has it in their hands. Like I said before, this is just like when a major studio refuses to film a crappy film for critics to keep the negative word from spreading. A lot of retailers will be shipping out their preorders in the next few days and if the errors are still present Lionsgate is doing a pretty damn good job of keeping it secret before said orders are shipped.

I'm no Knowles expert but I don't recall him ever using emoticons in any of his reviews.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Count me out. Not only does the colors look identical, it seems to have the same amout of excessive EE.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Based on those screenshots, it looks like the black level issue has been addressed in the new transfer. But screenshots aren't a very good way of judging the merits of a DVD. I'll wait for some real hands-on reviews.

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
Be aware that that comparison is not between the previous R1 and this new one, but the previous UK release and this one.

And judging from that, the black level has been indeed boosted, as well as color saturation, although the new, darker transfer seems a little bit murky and lacking in shadow detail.

Then again, I agree jpeg captures are not the best reference to judge from.

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Wow, it looks like somebody turn off the lights in the new version. What they should have done was make the blacks blacker, but keep the rest the same.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm aware of that, and the screenshots from previous UK version appear to show the same issue with black levels that plagued the 10 Year R1 release.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Are you sure you're not mixing up the images? The first screenshot in each set of links is the UK disc, the second in each set is the new R1 release. So the brighter screenshots are from the old UK release, the dark ones from the new R1 release! And to be honest, the new R1 release looks exactly like the old one to me on these screenshots, so while there may be differences that don't show in these jpgs, the overall issue still seems to be the same.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
No, I'm not mixing them up. The 10th Anniversary R1 release has *terribly* washed out blacks, very similar to screenshots from the UK disc. It's almost as if the gamma was cranked way up when they did the transfer. It looks nothing like the screenshots of the new 15th Anniversary R1 DVD, which appears to have much deeper blacks and a lower overall brightness level.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

A little too low, IMO. But it's hard to judge by screenshots. I will wait for reviews on this one.

-Lyle J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks