Researching subs and question about SVS...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Wolfman, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Josh Wolfman

Josh Wolfman Stunt Coordinator

I originally thought I was going to go with a paradigm pdr 12 or a definitive sub but since I found this forum I hear nothing but good things about SVS (although I have never heard them). The only thing that bothers me is the material used- cardboard. Does anybody else have a problem with this? What happens if my kid spills some liquid on it???? Does anybody live near the Westport CT area so I can listen to the SVS sub? Thx.

2. MWestyn

MWestyn Stunt Coordinator

I don't know this is what they use for a fact, but you can make cardboard incredibly strong...

Usually strengthened cardboard goes through a "resin-impregnation" process. This treatment is done to a multi-layered "cardboard" and you wouldn't believe the strength of these. It ends up being more like a pipe than a cardboard tube, and you can stand on them without any flex or stress.

My father's company uses them in making disposable printing press rollers, if that tells you anything about durability and water issues...they'll hold up for a long time.

I'd simply ask SVS what they use though.

3. Steve Goolsby

Steve Goolsby Auditioning

Where did you hear they're made of cardboard? I have one, and I can assure you that I've never seen any cardboard. Here's an excerpt of materials contained in an SVS taken from their site:

What’s better about SVS?

Higher quality materials and assembly with SVS. Our fabric covers in particular are expensive, automotive-grade material stitched like top-grade upholstery. Take one look up close and we think you'll agree it’s the stuff of high-end home theaters. In a similar vein, all of our subs use "end-caps" made from durable and rich looking black polymer finished materials. Either high-tech and fantastically strong 1" wood strand composite, or cold-laminated 1 1/2" Baltic birch plywood, both selected specifically for their "low void" characteristics, and all made in the USA to our specifications (ask some other OEM's where their enclosures come from). Some makers use ¾" MDF, or sometimes even cheaper "particle board". Thicker end-caps provide greater "heft" to our subs, and help keep them extremely stable even at extreme bass levels. The intense internal pressures of our higher line subs demanded these sorts of materials. Finally, our custom-made black polymer-wrapped enclosure tubing is the densest and thickest we know of. All this adds up to a sub that has a look and feel of audiophile equipment, yet still at very affordable prices.

4. Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Pierce

5. Josh Wolfman

Josh Wolfman Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies so far...does anybody have one of these that lives near me? I really would like to listen before I buy. Even though there is a 45 day trial, I would still have to pay for shipping charges.

6. Pete Austin

Pete Austin Agent

To find someone near you with an SVS try www.audioenvy.com They have a database of registered owners and contact information for them. Maybe someone near you has registered there.
    As far as your worries about the cylinder material, I own a 20-39 PC+ (which uses the same material as the rest) and I can't believe that it is anything but impervious to liquid spills. When you tap on the cylinder you get a very dense and very hard feedback. However, if your child is tall enough to reach over the sub it is succeptible to spills through the ports in the top. While I can't rememeber the particular thread I have heard Ron from SVS describe the cylinder as looking hard, black, and shiny with the fabric removed. I can't think of anything porous that is hard and shiny so I wouldn't worry about it. In the end, if you have specific questions just e-mail SVS and you'll likely hear back within a few hours (even on Christmas eve). Hope that helps. Good luck.

7. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    my recollection is that SVS subs are made of something called "sonotube", which is apparently some form of cardboard.

but to put things in perspective, apparently these things are used in construction: the tubes are used as "moulds" for casting concrete in-situ, presumably in casting pillars or something similarly cylindrical, on site. given that wet concrete is, well, wet, and quite heavy, I think that this shows just how durable "sonotube" is.

someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of the above.

and for the record, I have an SVS25-31PCi and am perfectly happy for it. FWIW, it survived shipping across the Pacific to Singapore without a single ding/dent/crease/whatever.

8. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

In the very beginning SVS used sonotube. But they haven't for a very long time. Not that there is anything wrong with sonotube. My sub uses it and I'm very happy with it. But if I had access to the tubing SVS uses at a reasonable price I'd definately use it instead.

10. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

11. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Wayne pretty much said it.

Our proprietary tubing (it's MUCH denser, wrapped in a slick black polymer to seal against moisture, and much thicker and smoother than "Sonotube") has about as much in common with "cardboard" as MDF or particleboard (the main substrate in nearly all speakers today, including subwoofer cabinets) has with "sawdust".

We've got literally thousands of subs in customers hands, all over the world and not one yet has suffered any damage from water or accidents etc. (though certainly I would NOT want to see one submerged in water, that would destroy nearly any speaker).

Drop two subs off the roof of a building (don't ask me how I know this, our R/D department works in mysterious ways ;^), one a generic MDF subwoofer box and one a SVS cylinder... and tell me which one survives. Our special tubing is incredibly tough stuff.

Ron

12. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

13. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    my mistake. I thought I'd read earlier (before I bought my SVS) that the material was in fact "sonotube", but I see that it's better and stronger than that. that's comforting, since the humidity in this place is really nasty.
    no surprise really, when hefting the sub around, it certainly feels solid enough, yet strangely light for such a large speaker.
    good to know that not only do our SVSs provide kick-ass bass, they're nearly indestructible too... [​IMG]

14. Mitch E S

Mitch E S Stunt Coordinator