What's new

Researching subs and question about SVS... (1 Viewer)

Josh Wolfman

Stunt Coordinator
I originally thought I was going to go with a paradigm pdr 12 or a definitive sub but since I found this forum I hear nothing but good things about SVS (although I have never heard them). The only thing that bothers me is the material used- cardboard. Does anybody else have a problem with this? What happens if my kid spills some liquid on it???? Does anybody live near the Westport CT area so I can listen to the SVS sub? Thx.

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I don't know this is what they use for a fact, but you can make cardboard incredibly strong...

Usually strengthened cardboard goes through a "resin-impregnation" process. This treatment is done to a multi-layered "cardboard" and you wouldn't believe the strength of these. It ends up being more like a pipe than a cardboard tube, and you can stand on them without any flex or stress.

My father's company uses them in making disposable printing press rollers, if that tells you anything about durability and water issues...they'll hold up for a long time.

I'd simply ask SVS what they use though.

Steve Goolsby

Auditioning
Where did you hear they're made of cardboard? I have one, and I can assure you that I've never seen any cardboard. Here's an excerpt of materials contained in an SVS taken from their site:

What’s better about SVS?

Higher quality materials and assembly with SVS. Our fabric covers in particular are expensive, automotive-grade material stitched like top-grade upholstery. Take one look up close and we think you'll agree it’s the stuff of high-end home theaters. In a similar vein, all of our subs use "end-caps" made from durable and rich looking black polymer finished materials. Either high-tech and fantastically strong 1" wood strand composite, or cold-laminated 1 1/2" Baltic birch plywood, both selected specifically for their "low void" characteristics, and all made in the USA to our specifications (ask some other OEM's where their enclosures come from). Some makers use ¾" MDF, or sometimes even cheaper "particle board". Thicker end-caps provide greater "heft" to our subs, and help keep them extremely stable even at extreme bass levels. The intense internal pressures of our higher line subs demanded these sorts of materials. Finally, our custom-made black polymer-wrapped enclosure tubing is the densest and thickest we know of. All this adds up to a sub that has a look and feel of audiophile equipment, yet still at very affordable prices.

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Pierce
Finally, our custom-made black polymer-wrapped enclosure tubing is the densest and thickest we know of
Hmmm... it says that the enclosure tubing is custom made and wrapped in plastic, but doesn't actually say what it is made of. Still that plastic wrap should prevent any water damage, and the cylindrical shape is plenty strong, regardless of composition. I wouldn't worry.

Josh Wolfman

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies so far...does anybody have one of these that lives near me? I really would like to listen before I buy. Even though there is a 45 day trial, I would still have to pay for shipping charges.

Pete Austin

Agent
To find someone near you with an SVS try www.audioenvy.com They have a database of registered owners and contact information for them. Maybe someone near you has registered there.
As far as your worries about the cylinder material, I own a 20-39 PC+ (which uses the same material as the rest) and I can't believe that it is anything but impervious to liquid spills. When you tap on the cylinder you get a very dense and very hard feedback. However, if your child is tall enough to reach over the sub it is succeptible to spills through the ports in the top. While I can't rememeber the particular thread I have heard Ron from SVS describe the cylinder as looking hard, black, and shiny with the fabric removed. I can't think of anything porous that is hard and shiny so I wouldn't worry about it. In the end, if you have specific questions just e-mail SVS and you'll likely hear back within a few hours (even on Christmas eve). Hope that helps. Good luck.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
my recollection is that SVS subs are made of something called "sonotube", which is apparently some form of cardboard.

but to put things in perspective, apparently these things are used in construction: the tubes are used as "moulds" for casting concrete in-situ, presumably in casting pillars or something similarly cylindrical, on site. given that wet concrete is, well, wet, and quite heavy, I think that this shows just how durable "sonotube" is.

someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of the above.

and for the record, I have an SVS25-31PCi and am perfectly happy for it. FWIW, it survived shipping across the Pacific to Singapore without a single ding/dent/crease/whatever.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
my recollection is that SVS subs are made of something called "sonotube", which is apparently some form of cardboard.
Yee-Ming: SV subs do not use sonotube, although your description of that product is otherwise accurate. Also, many DIY enthusiasts use sonotube (because it's dirt cheap) for their "sono-subs", so that's probably what you were thinking of. Sonotube only has approx. 1/4" thick walls - SV subs (as stated above) use a custom made polymer wrapped enclosure that is much thicker and denser than sonotube.

As anyone who owns an SV sub can attest - if you hike up the fabric and expose the enclosure, it's a very thick, hard, black, shiny material that looks and feels like it can withstand a direct mortar hit. I wouldn't worry at all about the durability of this enclosure.

The two vulnerable spots to protect are the top vent(s) - a possible entry point for liquids, and the space between the baseplate and the woofer - a possible entry point for the prying fingers of a toddler, where damage to the cone and/or surround might occur.

Ed

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
In the very beginning SVS used sonotube. But they haven't for a very long time. Not that there is anything wrong with sonotube. My sub uses it and I'm very happy with it. But if I had access to the tubing SVS uses at a reasonable price I'd definately use it instead.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
The only thing that bothers me is the material used- cardboard. Does anybody else have a problem with this?
When you look at the "box" type subs, they are made out of MDF - or, Medium Density Fiberboard. Fiberboard is exactly as described. Just a bunch fibers that come from who-knows-where packed together with glue and excessive force to form a sheet of this stuff. One would never think that we would turn to garbage for making great sounding subs - but, that appears to be the case.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Wayne pretty much said it.

Our proprietary tubing (it's MUCH denser, wrapped in a slick black polymer to seal against moisture, and much thicker and smoother than "Sonotube") has about as much in common with "cardboard" as MDF or particleboard (the main substrate in nearly all speakers today, including subwoofer cabinets) has with "sawdust".

We've got literally thousands of subs in customers hands, all over the world and not one yet has suffered any damage from water or accidents etc. (though certainly I would NOT want to see one submerged in water, that would destroy nearly any speaker).

Drop two subs off the roof of a building (don't ask me how I know this, our R/D department works in mysterious ways ;^), one a generic MDF subwoofer box and one a SVS cylinder... and tell me which one survives. Our special tubing is incredibly tough stuff.

Ron

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
What happens if my kid spills some liquid on it????
Josh, I would think that the likelyhood of someone spilling liquid on your subwoofer would be the same as someone spilling fruit punch on top of your receiver or amplifier. About the only nearly "indestructive" subwoofer would be the infinite baffle type of subwoofer. With the IB sub, you could mount your drivers up high enough - or, even in the ceiling for that matter to get them out of the way.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
my mistake. I thought I'd read earlier (before I bought my SVS) that the material was in fact "sonotube", but I see that it's better and stronger than that. that's comforting, since the humidity in this place is really nasty.
no surprise really, when hefting the sub around, it certainly feels solid enough, yet strangely light for such a large speaker.
good to know that not only do our SVSs provide kick-ass bass, they're nearly indestructible too... :D

Mitch E S

Stunt Coordinator
Drop two subs off the roof of a building (don't ask me how I know this, our R/D department works in mysterious ways ;^), one a generic MDF subwoofer box and one a SVS cylinder... and tell me which one survives. Our special tubing is incredibly tough stuff.
Sure... but shove an Ultra off the back of a UPS truck and the carton that it comes in looks like it was well shoved off the back of a UPS truck (don't ask me how I know this). Fortunately for one UPS guy the sub survived unharmed :angry:
Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks