What's new

Researching for my first Home Theatre System (1 Viewer)

Propel

Auditioning
Real Name
Durga
First of all, this is a wonderful site and have been following it up for the last couple of months.

I have a Sony 40" LCD HD TV and a DVD (that does 1080P upconversion). I am planning to set up my first home theatre system and considering the following setup after going through lot of other reviews in this forum and Amazon reviews.

1. SONY STR-DG920 - Around $380 on Amazon
2. Polk Audio RM705 (5.1 Speaker System) -- Around $400 on Amazon

Please suggest if I can choose any other better Receiver/Speaker combinations at this budget.

My max budget is $1000. We mainly use this system to listen to Audio CD's (Played on my DVD player) and watch action movies/ TV channels via Dish HD receiver.

I may buy a Bluray player at a later point of time.

therris

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
I have the Sony STR-DG7 series. I saw someone ask about the DG9 before and someone told them to go for the DG8 because the 9 wasn't worth the extra dough. It's a fairly recent post.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Check out Onkyo 606. Try to stay away from Sony's low end stuff.

For speakers, you should try to listen to a few before you buy. One brand to look at for entry level is Fluance. Check these out. Fluance SXHTB+ 5 Speaker Surround Sound Home Theater System

Add an SVS sub - SVSound - Box Subwoofers and you are set.

Onkyo 606 - $399
Fluance Speakers - $299
SVS Sub - $429

Just slightly more than your budget but you will get a super AVR and a world class subwoofer. The Fluance speakers will most likely outperform the Polks (you still need to decide if you like them). The speakers/sub have 30 day return policies.

Propel

Auditioning
Real Name
Durga
Therris & David

Thanks for your responses.

I have looked in to Fluance model. Though the reviews are favorable and price is good, I am pretty sure that my wife would not let those speakers in to the house because of their color (it is available only in one light brown color) and size/weight :frowning:

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
In that case, still go for the Onkyo 606. Maybe add speakers like these:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/performance2.html

You should compare them to the Polks. I have not heard either. HSU makes great subs, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say the sub you get from them will be better.

Shop around local stores as well. You really should listen to speakers before you buy them.

Propel

Auditioning
Real Name
Durga
Thanks Once again. I am trying to see if I can hear the HSU speakers somewhere.

Also, can you suggest buying the receiver/speakers in any of the shops like Best Buy/Circuit City vs buying it on the internet in sites like Amazon.

Nomad

Grip
Real Name
Brian
If music is primary and home theatre secondary shop for speakers that please you musically.
No matter what you do theres always something better so just take your time.
Speakers are very personal. I can sit for hours absorbing sounds and dissecting instrumentation even if its not music Im normally inclined to listen to.
My 2 cents....B&W 600 series with a mid priced sub. Theyre warm and very precise. When I close my eyes Diana Krall is in the room. One of my better investments. You dont have to have everything at once. Your system will change and tweak through the years.

Propel

Auditioning
Real Name
Durga
David

For the Onkyo 606, Do I need to worry about the 'Heat Issue' and 'Blue/Black dots on the screen issue' that were mentioned in Amazon reviews?

Also I understand that 606 does not do converstion to 1080P. Though I guess this would done by my DVD/TV/ Future Blue-Ray, ... would the lack of this feature cause any issue in future?

Onkyo are not sold in my local Best-Buy. Since CircuitCity is closing my only other option is purchasing this set on Amazon (or any other websites) where returns may be slightly tricky (I never purchased any thing worth more than $30 on the internet, hence a bit skeptical). That is the reason I am asking these questions again and again.

I had a bad experience with electronics in the past as mentioned below. So this time I want to be really careful.

1. My First sony viao laptop died out due to heat issues just after 1 year warranty back in 2002. It is a loss of around $1500 :frowning:

2. During the ThanksGiving week-end we bought a Samsung HD-BD2 7.1 system (Blue-ray and 7.1 speakers) at our local sams club. Though the sound was amazing, the BD player sucks. It does not recognize a second disc (CD/DVD/Blue-Ray Disc) if I stop the first disc in the middle of a movie/song. It was not able to play Wall-E Blue-Ray Disc. ( I mean, the picture comes but no sound). I had to unplug the system, wait for 10/15 mins before it can recognize any other disc. I tried upgrading the firmware after consulting customer support 10 different times, they were not able to fix/guide me. Finally I returned the system back. (Returning itself is a big pain as the system weighed around 140 LB and huge). It was a nighmare for 15 days.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You aren't going to be able to audition a Hsu sub unless you know someone with one or live near the factory. They like SVS, Elemental Designs and Epik Subwoofers are internet direct. But subs are about moving air.

Speakers on the other hand have different tonal characteristics. Some are bright while others are laid back. It is difficult to describe but when you hear a quality recording on a very good sytem it becomes immediately apparent.

-Robert

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Durga,

I have an Onkyo 705 and as far as I know, the fan has never kicked on. As long as you keep it well ventilated (don't put it inside an enclosed area), heat should not be an issue. I really don't know anything about blue dots on the screen... That sounds like it could be an HDMI issue? Just keep in mind the "reviews" on Amazon are sometimes really out there. I bet some folks don't even own the product they review.

Maybe ask here what issues other have with the 606. I bet there are a few owners on this board.

troy evans

Screenwriter
I own the Onkyo 605. From what I understand the 605 and 606 are basically the same, just with the 606 you get an extra HDMI input. In the room I use my set-up in, which measures 8'H x 15'W x 25'L, the 605/606 is more than enough. This is my second Onkyo receiver and I really love them for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks