What's new

RESCUE ME (ongoing discussion) (1 Viewer)

MichaelD

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone see the preview for the show Rescue Me during tonight's episode of The Shield. It stars Denis Leary and is going to be starting this summer. It's about the FDNY. Looks promising based on the clip. Anyone know anything further about it?

Scott_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Was curious about this myself. It will be interesting to see how Leary is in what appears to be a real drama, especially since it involves the FDNY. Has he done any real dramatic work before? FX hasn't disappointed yet as far as I'm concerned so I'll give this a solid try. Also looking forward to Nip/Tuck coming back this summer...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Reminder: This show premieres tonight on FX at 10pm EDT. Multiple repeats during the next week if you miss it.

M.

Blu

Screenwriter
What a very cool show!!!!!
Another in a fine lineup from FX!!!

The talking with the deceased characters was a very nice touch

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought some parts were funny, but the overly dramatic parts just didn't grab me so far. The soon-to-be-ex-wife is easy on the eyes. This show makes me miss "The Job" more.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I just finished watching the first episode and I will have to say I was impressed with Rescue Me. I think that Leary handled himself very well in a dramatic role and I look forward to seeing more of this show.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed the show, the show has a lot of potential. There were only a few things i found critical. First was the whole talking to dead people, I feel like i've been there done that (Six Feet Under). Second was the writing, i'm not sure how to explain it, but it seem too polished, maybe to me everything seemed to forced and didn't feel like it was permormed in a relaxed manner.

I'm certainly going to continue watching!

Paul

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I'm glad they are being realistic, to the point where the characters on the show label things they don't like as being "politically correct", even when that may not be the actual reason. For example, I vaguely recall that automated voices -- like voice mail, and in this case, the alarm system -- are female because people respond to them better than to male voices.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
This is a great show. There's TV and then there's filler. Most programs are filler, Rescue me is TV to the N'th degree.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yep. The setup is very good. This is a show that could build into something very nice.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
I'm not that familiar with Leary, but I thought he gave a very good performance. I especially liked the part where he bribed his kids for information. The short fat guy is pretty cool too. It'll be interesting to see how these characters develop.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor

If you ever get the chance watch the movie "The Ref". starring Leary along with Kevin Spacey and Judy Davis. It's a hilarious film.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I thought the pilot for Rescue Me was one of the best I've ever seen. A terrific opening episode, great cast, and I thought Leary was as much at home in the dramatic scenes (which are generally easier to do) as in the comic ones. The world of firefighters is one he knows well so it is one he can write of with some authority and conviction.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

Regards,

Joe

Robert Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert Watson
To me, Rescue Me is a lot better than Third Watch these days because it shows more realism about the FDNY while Third Watch tends to stay on the cop side most of the time.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Just caught the second show via tivo. I definately like it but I'm conflicted by all this talking to Dead people. On one hand it gives Leary someone to play off of, and I can see the reasons behind it, on the other thou there's a been there done that feeling about it, because we've seen it all before on Six Feet under. I can definately feel a "The Job" vibe to the series and I'm liking the characters. THe ability for Leary to be a bit more "Mature" on FX helps his caustic nature.

I can see this as a nice counterpoint to the Shield. I hope FX will give it some time to grow unlike ABC with the Job. Also the success of this show can only insure that we see the release of that show on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks