What's new

Rescue From Gilligan's Island Dvd Question (1 Viewer)

DaveyM

Stunt Coordinator
This tv-movie from 1978 must have fallen into the Public Domain because i see more and more budget labels releasing it. I bought a copy from Miracle Pictures at the dollar store and it's terrible. Poor picture quality and sound with really bad edits.

Today i see a version from Gemstone for $5, does anyone have it and is the quality any better than the other versions already released?

I would like a decent quality dvd of this movie but i'm getting tired of wasting money on all these lousy dvds.

Any help or advice will be appreciated.

Keith Yates

Auditioning
I don't know about the quality of the "Gemstone" version but I wasted 5 bucks on the version by "Brentwood".

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
I picked up the Digiview version from the $1 bin at WalMart. It has a "warning" that the content (including the soundtrack, it says) has been licensed for private home use, yada yada yada... It's full-frame, of course. The titles and opening credits are off-center, with the first letters of some of them being off the left-hand side of the screen. It appears pretty faded, and there's some wave/rippling (very much like VHS artifacts) at the beginning. (I haven't made it more than 2 minutes into it to see if it continues.)

All told, I could do a better transfer myself if I had a good cable broadcast as my source. (The non-dual-layer, SP-mode DVDs I make from TCM broadcasts are better. Not to mention the discs I make from shorter material which I record in HQ.)

Don't know about cuts/edits...I never got far enough in to tell. The back of the case states "approx. 95 minutes" running time.

Not bad for a dollar, but I'd definitely think twice at $3 or $5.

voiceoncommand

Auditioning
Real Name
Brett Gerking
I have purchased several versions of Rescue from Gilligan's Island.

The $1.00 versions were terrible quality and had scenes actually cut out, including a pivital scene where all the cast members meet on Mr. Howell's yacht on Christmas to recieve Thurston's 'box of money'.

Finally found a complete version of the movie at Toys R Us. The DVD is from Westlake Entertainment and was around $5.00. The quality of the picture is sound is not perfect, but is far superior the other versions. It also contains some decent filmographies and biographies of the cast members.

Now I wish the 2 sequels, "Castaways on Gilligan's Island" and "Globetrotters on GI" would be released. Anybody know anything about those 2 films coming to dvd?

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
"Rescue From Gilligan's Island" would seemingly have been under copyright when this thread was created, but I think the usual purveyors of public-domain tapes and DVDs have been issuing copies of it for ages. How did this film become p.d. before its copyright was due to expire?

iDarren

Stunt Coordinator
I've just bought an Australian release by "Flashback Entertainment". Will report the results soon.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
This movie really traumatized me when I saw it for the first time on TV years ago. I mean, these people finally get rescued, resume normal lives and then decide to head back out to sea, where they become marooned all over again! This was before I realized that movies were made-up fantasies so it really did a number on me. Funny thing is, I wouldn't mind a remastered version of this on DVD with extras but I can't bring myself to buy the actual series. One feature-length movie would be enough for me I suppose.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Yeah, but at the very end they realize their luck since they were all happier together on the island and weren't fitting back in with society.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Originally Posted by LeoAmes
Yeah, but at the very end they realize their luck since they were all happier together on the island and weren't fitting back in with society.
In the next Movie they make their Island a Cruise Ship Destination./img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
RESCUE FROM GILLIGAN'S ISLAND is a copyrighted property - the Schwartz family's Redwood Productions produced it, and after its NBC broadcast, Viacom handled it in syndication. However, since it was produced independently by Schwartz and then sold to the first willing network to air it, it's possible the copyright line was left off (been years since I saw it so I don't remember looking for one), or they didn't register before broadcast, or some other dumb mistake resulted in the PD labels pouncing on this. The followup sequels were done by Redwood with backing from Universal Television, so those are protected.

Rumor has it that Shout Factory had considered packaging all three reunion films into a DVD release. I don't know if there was resistence from the Schwartz family, or Viacom, or maybe they just got worried that the PD labels would hijack their clean transfer, but right now those plans seem dead. :(

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Maybe they're going to wait until the new movie finally gets made?

I recall seeing the lagoon set on the Universal tour back in the day. (Wonder why they never used the original lagoon over at CBS Television City again?) I'd love to know how Martin Landau and Barbara Bain ended up in the Globetrotter epic!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
it would be good if the could release the other gilligan's island movies along with the cartoons. I love to have the remaining movies, tv shows on dvd. I am huge Gilligan's Island fan. I remember watching it mostly in re-runs on tv stations like CKVR out of Barrie. It used to be CKVR at 400 pm in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mark Edward Heuck
RESCUE FROM GILLIGAN'S ISLAND is a copyrighted property - the Schwartz family's Redwood Productions produced it, and after its NBC broadcast, Viacom handled it in syndication. However, since it was produced independently by Schwartz and then sold to the first willing network to air it, it's possible the copyright line was left off (been years since I saw it so I don't remember looking for one), or they didn't register before broadcast, or some other dumb mistake resulted in the PD labels pouncing on this. The followup sequels were done by Redwood with backing from Universal Television, so those are protected.

Rumor has it that Shout Factory had considered packaging all three reunion films into a DVD release. I don't know if there was resistence from the Schwartz family, or Viacom, or maybe they just got worried that the PD labels would hijack their clean transfer, but right now those plans seem dead. :(
Most likely, there is a copyright notice on the film and Schwartz never bothered to register it with Library of Congress. Of course, that doesn't mean he can't at any point. I believe the modern law gives you 75 years from creation to register an item for copyright. That being said, he probably couldn't be bothered then and certainly wouldn't bother with it now. Of course if he sold it outright to Viacom, they could register it.

iDarren

Stunt Coordinator
Should just add that the Aus DVD release by Flashback Entertainment is awful PQ and AQ.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Should just add that the Aus DVD release by Flashback Entertainment is awful PQ and AQ.
I have a copy and it is horrible. I was hoping that the other two movies and the rescue from Gilligan's island would be package together in one set. I have the TV series, but i like to have the rest of Gilligans Island as well.
The movies are interesting as most have not been on TV years. I can not remember the last time i seen the Harlem Globe Trotters on Gilligan's island and/or the The Castaways on Gilligan Island. Turner broadcasting used to be good at showing the aforementioned movies, but not now.

iDarren

Stunt Coordinator
younger1968 said:
I can not remember the last time i seen the Harlem Globe Trotters on Gilligan's island and/or the The Castaways on Gilligan Island. Turner broadcasting used to be good at showing the aforementioned movies, but not now.
There are no releases of these at all.
I have copies of these which are just downloaded TV rips (and are also sold on ioffer etc). It seems the only available versions of "Castaways" are missing about 20-25 minutes of footage (runtime just 70 minutes). Clearly cut in length by the TV station to put in more advertisements.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
iDarren said:
There are no releases of these at all.
I have copies of these which are just downloaded TV rips (and are also sold on ioffer etc). It seems the only available versions of "Castaways" are missing about 20-25 minutes of footage (runtime just 70 minutes). Clearly cut in length by the TV station to put in more advertisements.
Thanks Darren!
It has to be over 20 years since both the castaways on gilligans island and/or the harlem globe trotters movies aired. It is sad that the studio could not package all the gilligan into one package. I have the tv series and terrible copy of the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks