What's new

Rescue From Gilligan's Island (1978) (4k UHD Combo) Available for order (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
CleanShot 2024-06-14 at 12.11.05@2x.png

Newly scanned from a rare 16mm print
Available as a limited run of 500 with slipcover & reversible artwork, 2-disc set includes standard Blu-ray along with bonus material, and Ultra HD Blu-ray with a full scan including leaders & logos in 2160p.

Bonus Material:

“Trivia Edition”
Learn tons of facts about the movie, the actors and more

“Cinematic Trailer”
See a glimpse of the movie with the dramatic flair it deserves

“60th Anniversary featurette”
Get a detailed overview of the franchise and a glimpse at newly presented newspaper articles that give insight behind the scenes of the production of Rescue From Gilligan’s Island

“Gilligan’s Island - The Band”
A visit and interview segment with this fun tribute band that has some interesting stories & ties to Gilligan history

“3D Highlights”
In this ‘View-Master’-style reel, see highlights from the story converted to 3D, both in red/blue anaglyph for use with any screen (red/blue glasses not included), as well as in higher-quality Digital 3D for 3DTVs & 3D projectors

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Rescue From Gilligan's Island: 1
Dog Day Afternoon: 0

Jokes aside, I couldn't preorder this fast enough. I'm not expecting it to blow my socks off quality-wise but I've always loved this film and need it looking as best as possible. Oddly enough, I'm not really a fan of the series. I mean I am, just not enough to buy the series collection on DVD.

AlohaTiger

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
Is this an official release? It looks bootleggy.

‘Doesn’t look to be an official release as the payment goes straight thru paypal. Looks good regardless . I might have to pull the trigger bc this is the last title I would have have thought to get this treatment. Wonder if they’ll do The Castaways on Gilligan Island if this one sells out.

Attachments

• IMG_5257.jpeg
    IMG_5257.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 20

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
Well, I can't pass up another go at this Gilligan reunion film. Previous PD releases have ranged from really good and mostly complete (minus re-cap and both show credits) to really blurry (and one, really yellow-looking vhs copy) and missing material.

Firstly, the cover shown above is hysterically funny-- making this look like it was thrown together down at the local library using an old Packard Bell computer from the 90's. No doubt taking the piss out of previous releases with crap picture quality and Windows Paint-style covers.

This does look like a huge uptick from the last homebrew Blu-ray release that was taken from a glitchy beta copy, upscaled cheaply with AI and cut to shreds to remove dropouts the AI missed.

Coming from 16mm, I presume this will also be the feature-length version sold to tv stations which excludes the next-time teaser, part 1 end credits and part 2 re-cap, but as long as all the scenes are intact, including the usually cut Christmas party on the yacht bit and runs about 1hr 34 minutes, we're a "go".

This will give me a reason to finally grab an Ultra HD Blu-ray player, as well (I have some discs included in bd sets unplayed as I haven't upgraded like a true, curmudgeonly luddite!). Suggestions for a set-top model and/or pc attachable (preferably one that can burn other discs)?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Oh, why not?!!

As a kid in the 60s, I watched Gilligan's Island. As a 20-something in the 70s, I watched this reunion movie on TV. As a grown-up, I bought Gilligan's Island on DVD. After watching several of the episodes on DVD, I realized that I never, ever needed to see it again.

Not too long ago, in another thread, I made the comment that I've seen the occasional announcement where I think, "If they'll release this in 4K, they'll release anything in 4K." Return to Gilligan's Island is a sterling example of that dictum.

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
As a kid in the 60s, I watched Gilligan's Island. As a 20-something in the 70s, I watched this reunion movie on TV. As a grown-up, I bought Gilligan's Island on DVD. After watching several of the episodes on DVD, I realized that I never, ever needed to see it again.

Not too long ago, in another thread, I made the comment that I've seen the occasional announcement where I think, "If they'll release this in 4K, they'll release anything in 4K." Return to Gilligan's Island is a sterling example of that dictum.
It's not for everybody, that's for sure. I grew up with this and similar shows, with Gilligan being that way-out-there comfort food-type environment. I still revisit the series every year or so, now on homebrew, hi-def bluray from streaming sources. It just feels like "home".

I've seen the episodes so many times there's a part of my subconscious that makes me feel like I lived on that island. Always delighted to see the lagoon set in other shows and was gutted when they filled it in and built a parking structure. I had intended to visit that location a thousand years ago and, filthy water or not (it was usually kept dry and used for parking/storage), if it was full I was determined to swim the short length of it.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It's not for everybody, that's for sure. I grew up with this and similar shows, with Gilligan being that way-out-there comfort food-type environment. I still revisit the series every year or so, now on homebrew, hi-def bluray from streaming sources. It just feels like "home".

I've seen the episodes so many times there's a part of my subconscious that makes me feel like I lived on that island. Always delighted to see the lagoon set in other shows and was gutted when they filled it in and built a parking structure. I had intended to visit that location a thousand years ago and, filthy water or not (it was usually kept dry and used for parking/storage), if it was full I was determined to swim the short length of it.
A bit of TV Magic was involved ...the lagoon wasn't as deep as you think ;) ...
1718429184972.png

Robert Saccone

Premium
Is this movie in the public domain? Curious about the rights / owners as I would have expected this to come from the same studio / producers of the series and the other movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanekeridance
Recent bookmarks