What's new

Rescoring Classic TV Shows (1 Viewer)

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I would rather have the studios work out their licensing agreements beforehand or not have the series at all. Today, theme music isn't as important or even prominent as it once was. But any show from the dawn of TV to the early 1990s was absolutely identified with its main title theme. To not hear the ballad of Jed Clampett as an intro to the Beverly Hillbillies is pure sacrilege. Can you imagine Lavern and Shirley without 'hassenfeffer incorporated?!?!' Or Murder She Wrote without John Addison's nimble piano tune? I can't and wouldn't want to even try.
I have a greater respect for the studios when they take their time and do things once but do them right. I think a lot of television releases in general have been given short shrift in all sorts of ways - no remastering, horrible image and/or sound quality, etc. I'd like to see a third party source come in and license this stuff from the major companies and do it justice. That probably won't happen but its a minor dream of mine.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The only instances I know of where the theme song has been removed are Married with Children, Bosom Buddies and Tour of Duty. Any others are on cheap PD releases and in that case, what would you expect.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Neil Brock said:
The only instances I know of where the theme song has been removed are Married with Children, Bosom Buddies and Tour of Duty. Any others are on cheap PD releases and in that case, what would you expect.
RTV is running the PD package of BEVERLY HILLBILLIES (From 16mm prints) and the theme music (and some of the transition underscore where there is no dialog ) has been replaced - the music they are using actually fits well, unlike some of the CBS FUGITIVE episodes.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I don't understand how they even attempt to replace music on shows that are so old. Do they still have the original elements of these shows that they can re-edit like that ?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Lots of shows have had their scores altered beyond belief.
Beverly Hills, 90210: The original series (all 10 seasons!) has nearly all of its pop tunes replaced with generic underscoring. A few scenes that heavily featured pop tunes have been removed from the dvds.
Melrose Place: Ditto the above. Generally, every episode would open with a pop tune playing over the cast and crew credits. As far as I can tell, they've all been replaced with studio underscoring. I have not heard word whether any actual scenes were cut due to the removal of songs.
Roswell: Had nearly all its pop tunes replaced with...other, cheaper, pop tunes.
The Greatest American Hero: Had its pop tunes replaced with modern pop tunes that seem completely incongruous with its early 1980s setting.
Dawson's Creek: After the first couple seasons on dvd, had its Paula Cole theme song replaced. Also, many pop tunes that played in the background of dramatic scenes have been replaced. This also lead to many cuts in actual scenes. In the last couple seasons, one of the main characters was an aspiring singer; some of her tunes/scenes have been completely cut out.
These are just five series on dvd you might want to avoid if you can't stand music replacement...because the dvd producers really went to town decimating the original scores on all of them! It just makes me wonder how a show like "Ally McBeal," which used more songs than anybody--somehow wound up on dvd with all of its songs intact! I wonder if the dvd producers on that one lost their shirts clearing all the music for Ally's five seasons???

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
David Rain said:
I don't understand how they even attempt to replace music on shows that are so old. Do they still have the original elements of these shows that they can re-edit like that ?
I thought I remember reading that filmed shows have separate audio tracks, but videotaped shows don't. But apparently, for videotaped shows, it depends on whether or not the original raw studio recordings exist (before post-production work).
When WKRP was redubbing the music, and in some instances, redubbing the dialogue with sound-a-like actors, I don't understand why they couldn't just "drown-out" (via overdubbing) the offending music, like GSN did for the 1970s episodes of The Newlywed Game.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
vnisanian2001 said:
....When WKRP was redubbing the music, and in some instances, redubbing the dialogue with sound-a-like actors....
I thought they had the cast members come back and dub their own dialog.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Seems to me we're applying the same flawed logic to TV herein that live theater used to apply to the movies in the early part of the 20th century - namely that movies were somehow inferior to theater and therefore really didn't matter all that much to culture at large. Time has proven the opposite to be true. And art - whatever the medium - ought not be tampered. Could you picture it if someone today said, "The Mona Lisa's a snore. Give her more rouge, pluck her eye brows, give her a tattoo and lets change the color of her dress to aqua so she'll appeal to the younger generation." Purists of painted art would be outraged, and rightfully so.
I think we're getting sidetracked here with regards to comments about dubbing and re-dubbing and editing out 'offending' music.
What's offensive is altering the original in any way, shape or form from what everyone remembers because rights issues are not being resolved to everyone's satisfaction. Rights to music MUST be cleared and shows not haphazardly butchered to suit a quick clip job releases on DVD and Blu-ray. Think about what you are all suggesting! I mean, if we were talking about movie scores being altered the outrage would be unanimous. Why doesn't that same logic apply to TV shows?!?
Can you imagine The Wizard of Oz without 'Over The Rainbow', or E.T. without John William's famous 'Flying theme'? The answer is, of course, NO! Nor should you have to settle for a reconstituted release of our cultural collective memories. Put bluntly - Don't mess with success!"
The same fidelity needs to be applied to television shows - whatever the vintage. They are just as readily cultural artifacts from the 20th and 21st century as movies are. Please remember that and petition the studios to research and acquire rights to original scores for their TV product before they make them available to us on DVD and Bluray. Fox did this with Ally McBeal because they correctly acknowledged that Ally without Vonda Shepard's chart topping remixes was not a show anyone would want to watch.
Bottom line: DO NOT SACRIFICE QUALITY simply because you desperately want an old show to come to DVD or Blu-ray because what you ultimately get will not be what you remember most fondly.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Nick*Z said:
...Bottom line: DO NOT SACRIFICE QUALITY simply because you desperately want an old show to come to DVD or Blu-ray because what you ultimately get will not be what you remember most fondly.
My only problem with replacement scores is the replacements do not match in style, instruments ,or even proper sound level. Remember how some of the replacement background music on FUGITIVE was too loud compared to existing music?
I don't know why CBS commissioned new background music for THE FUGITIVE when they could have found acceptable cues from other seasons, or from other series of the time-period. THE FUGITIVE already used cues from THE TWILIGHT ZONE in some episodes in the 1960's, and those exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks