What's new

Rescheduling Halloween? (1 Viewer)

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
It's not a government holiday, so the city has no say in it. Do they not have anything important to work on there?

What next- Christmas as a Monday holiday?

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

They have a say in it because the city needs to set a date and time for trick-or-treat so everyone is on the same page.

It's no big deal. They aren't moving Halloween, just trick-or-treat. I can't remember the last time we actually had trick-or-treat on the 31st. This year where I live, it's on Thursday the 28th.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Do kids still trick-or-treat through neighborhoods? I thought it was all done in malls nowadays. So, if the mall closes at 6 on Sunday, that might be the reason they moved it to Saturday.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
not such a bad idea, keeps the kiddies in on a school night.

I think last year I got 5 whole visitors.

Mike Slade

Second Unit

In some places around here they do. I went out with my niece last year in my brother's neighborhood and there were plenty of kids out.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
It depends on the city, it depends on the neighborhoods, but yeah trick-or-treating is definitely less popular these days. As mentioned, sometimes a mall will have a trick-or-treating event to give the kids a safer, more hospitable environment. No doubt the merchants will be handing out coupons in hope for increased business at Christmas time.

Another reason to move official trick-or-treating from Sunday: Daylight Saving Time ends on the same day. Sunset will be an hour earlier on the 31st than the day before.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
when i was in college in bozeman MT halloween was usually cold and snowy, they'd give the kids in the dorms candy to hand out and let the little ones trick or treat through the dorms. Always wondered what kind of parents turned their kids loose in a college dorm... :laugh:

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

My town does this! We have fireworks one week before July 4. Why? Who knows? Supposedly it's so fire and police workers can spend the day with their family but I can't believe this is the only reason.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
My university does this. The kids were always accompanied by their parents.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I remember when we would get well over 100 trick or treaters on Halloween....now we might get 7 on an especially good night....I know it's supposed to be a much more dangerous world out there these days but I also wonder how much media fear has played in on the rapidly declining crowds of happy children we used to see...it's a damn shame because as a kid it was my favorite time of the year, still is as an adult.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
That's a giant factor, because the reality is that it's much safer than it was when I was trick-or-treating (the 70's).

We still get lots of kids in my neighborhood, probably 150+. The parents are always with the younger kids, and lots of other people are sitting out on their front porches/lawns, so there's not going to be a whole lot of "funny business" in any case.

I have no idea when we are doing it this year. Probably Saturday??

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Todd on this one, usually 150+ here in Uxbridge.

My parents always move to the subdivisions where they seem to bus people in!!!

Moving it to another day is friggin dumb!!! I'd send a notice to the parents in my subdivision that I was still taking the kids out on the 31st so please save some candy!

Brent

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
As Wayne said, It depends on the city, it depends on the neighborhoods.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I think moving Halloween to Saturday night (this year) is a great idea; probably too good of an idea to be adopted by my rather backwards town. Who needs a bunch of varmints running around banging on your door Sunday evening? I think I'll just tie my Rottweiler to a tree besides the front steps. Anybody that can get by "Precious" can have all of the candy they want. :)

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
Since the US doesn't celebrate Halloween as a religious holiday it is more of a cultural holiday. As such I don't think it is as big a deal to move it.

Kenneth

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
What's the big deal? The trick-or-treaters don't give a rip what day they get free candy.

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
quote:Since the US doesn't celebrate Halloween as a religious holiday it is more of a cultural holiday. As such I don't think it is as big a deal to move it.

I agree. Halloween is more about costumes and fun these days and is no longer tied to the Celtic New Year or All Saints Eve--so the specific date no longer matters.

Well, here in the Denver/Boulder area we seem to always get our first snowfall right around Halloween (the eve of November 1st). That usually puts a damper on the festivities (which, I'm sure, the Boulder police department hopes for ever year). Moving the date up even just a few days would make a huge difference in terms of weather.

I think it makes sense to changing it from October 31st to the 4th Saturday in October. That would make it a weekend holiday so there would be no issues with school or work and it would occur anywhere from the 21st to the 28th of the month--right before the weather (usually) starts to get nasty.

So whom do I need to contact to implement this? Perhaps Jason Els' employer?

-Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks