Requirements for getting a job in hometheater installs?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by meeks, Jan 18, 2005.

1. meeks

meeks Agent

Hello. I am interested in getting a job in hometheater design & installation. If anyone here can throw me some advice on what schooling or recomendations companies look for when hiring, that would be awesome. I know I can take courses in Cedia certification. There are a few places here in orlando that does hometheater installs but am a little nervous in going to apply for a job without anything to write down on a resume accept "I love it & its my hobby". If anyone here is in the buisness, I would love for some advice on how you were able to get started in it.

2. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    There's a lot to be said for learning on the job. My advice: find the best installer in the area and tell him or her that you're willing to work for next to nothing because you want to learn from the best. (Most great chefs start out doing the boring prep work.) Maybe do this part time while pursuing traditional education. Real world experience combined with, say, an engineering degree should give you great blend of skills for this field.

Are you still in school? If not, how far did you get (so far)?