Requirements for DVD-Audio??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Winkler, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Steve Winkler

Steve Winkler Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the process of upgrading my old Panasonic A120 dvd player to a progressive scan model of some sort and I'm also considering the move up to DVD-Audio as well.
    What do I need exactly, in terms of an A/V receiver?
    Do I need 6ch analog inputs on my amp or can DVD-A be passed through a digital output/input like an optical cable or coax??
    Reason being, my old Sony Str-DE925 (don't laugh, it was decent at the time)is lacking the 6ch. discrete inputs and on top of that surely can't pass the full freq. range of dvd-a.
    My dvd contenders are the Panasonic Rp-56, rp-91, JVC XV-S60?,or XV-D721, or their new 7disc XV-FA92, Toshiba 3750 or 4700. Don't know if it makes a difference because every TV is a little different but mine is a Toshiba TW56x81.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

"Do I need 6ch analog inputs on my amp"
    Yes, ya do...
    "or can DVD-A be passed through a digital output/input like an optical cable or coax??"
    Not at the present time, nope.
    I've read alot of good things about the RP-91 on this board and many others... people seem to love it. Thing is, you'll have to upgrade your receiver without having analog inputs that are required [​IMG]

3. Steve Winkler

Steve Winkler Stunt Coordinator

Damn, I was pretty sure about the need for the 6ch. inputs. Upgrading is such a disease. [​IMG]
    Thanks Chip.

4. Luuk Vos

Luuk Vos Auditioning

With SACD you need 6CH audio inputs on your receiver. DVD Audio is something different. In my humble opinion DVD Audio can be decoded by the receiver if:

A: The DVD player is able to handle 192Khz audio

B: The receiver is able to decode 192Khz audio

So it should be possible to do with a coaxial or optical link. I have a Pioneer DV444-K DVD player able to handle 192 kHz/24-bit and a Onkyo TX-DS797, also able to handle 192 kHz/24-bit and this is according to the DVD Audio specifikations.

Or am I wrong?

Regards,

Luuk

5. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

"Or am I wrong?"

Sorry to say, at this stage of available technology...you are.

Someone, i'm sure, will be along to give you the details of why this isn't possible shortly (it ain't me! lol...)

6. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Yeah, DVD-audio specs are a totally different kind of encoding/decoding. It would be like if you had a DolbyDigtal receiver and wanted to hear DTS. It just can't be done.

Currently there's no receiver that will decode a DVD-audio bitstream. They're still working out some copyright issues I think.

But in short, to hear DVD-audio or SACD right now, you'll need analog 5.1 inputs.

7. Alan Wild

Alan Wild Stunt Coordinator

What about if you have both?
    I currently have an RP91, but I've thought about getting a SACD player. Now, I'm using an ICBM for bass management, but unforunately it only has one set of inputs. So how would I hook up two players?
    I would hate to buy 3 sets of passive A-B stereo switch boxes. [​IMG]
    Any other ideas?
    Anyone else doing anything like this?
    -Alan

8. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta Supporting Actor

Sanjay Gupta

9. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Alan, there have been a handful of discussions on this issue. Last I saw short of 3 switch boxes no one has come up with much of a solution. There is a Sony pre/pro that has dual ins that some people are talking about using mainly for a switcher. Do a search on Y-cables, DVD-A and SACD in the hardware and music forums and you should find more on this discussion.

DVD-Audio consists of either PCM multi-channel or stereo audio at rates of up to 24/96 (multi-channel max) and 24/192 (stereo max.). The PCM stream is then compressed with Meridian Lossless Processing (MLP). Currently there are no DVD-Audio players that pass these streams through their digital outputs, and there are no receivers I know of capable of decompressing MLP. I'm not certain if the current digital connections are capable of handling the uncompressed PCM stream at these high bitrates if that were even an option. Until a secure digital connection is made between the player and the receiver that would prevent the direct copying of this digital bitstream there probably won't be a nice way of connecting DVD-A players.