What's new

Required Equipment (1 Viewer)

CharlieS

Auditioning
I think I have the "basics" sorted out... looking at a PLV-Z3 and HD format screen. Speakers most likely Bose but that may change. My question is more regarding the "other" gear... such as: I plan on watching mostly DVD's but the occasional HD TV program. My regular TV is built into the wall and the projector will be ceiling mounted and the screen will come down right in front of the little TV when we want the big picture. How can I "share" my TV signal? Will my digital cable signal go into my A/V receiver and I can select the output source from there (small or big TV)? Do I need some other sort of splitter or switching device? Regarding the HDTV, Is that something I get from my cable provider or do you need some soert of HDTV processing component?

Thanks in advance.

PS: any comments on the choice of the Z3?

Charlie

Tim K

Second Unit
You will have alot of people telling you that Bose is overpriced crap and to drop the concept, so I won't bother to do it myself...oh I guess I just did.

As for the sharing of video, you will need to purchase some type of video switcher. You receiver will likely not be set up to route video to two different sources. When receivers state that they can handle video switching that means they can switch between input sources....but all of the video feeds will share the same output feed from the receiver as most receivers have multiple inputs but only a single output. You'll need to buy an HD capable video switcher, and you'll probably want one that is remote controlled. I believe there is a thread on HD video switchers somewhere in the Tweaking and Accessories forum.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
as already stated, unless your gear (or receiver) has multiple video "monitor out" connections, you'll have to use a switcher of some sort. make sure you're using the highest qualtiy connection possible (s-vid at a minimum).

regarding the hd content, since it sounds like you're already a cable subscriber, you'll have to contact them directly and ask what kind of hd package they offer. or, you can go to a new service provider like directv, dish or voom. voom, in particular, has a lot of hd content.

CharlieS

Auditioning
Thanks everyone! This forum is amazing. Looks like a switcher it is. No comments or feedback on the Z3?:)

I'll post photos when it becomes real.

John S

Senior HTF Member
lol Start a new thread for the z3, we are not supposed to make specific comments like that in this section is all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks