What's new

Require approx output from this Driver please? (1 Viewer)

Richard_M

Second Unit
Would one of you kind experts let me know what I could expect as an output low freq range & spl from this Driver & amp.

It is mounted in 160L reflex enclosure.

It has a Redgum RGSW2 HL amp built in.

These are some of the specs

Thick aluminium sand cast frame

Straight profile Polyglass cone, foam surround

Edgewound flat copper wire 77 mm voice coil, black aluminium former

Efficiency : 93.9 dB

Nominal Power 225w

Program power 300w

Sensitivity 93.9

Cone Polyglass

Surround Foam

Fs 23.7

Vas 380.5

Qts 0.29

Qes 0.32

Qms 2.65

I realise this is probably a tall question, but just a rough idea would be great.

Regards,

Richard

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Looks like 90 db at 33.5 Hz (approx)and you'll probably pick up some with room gain. It'll definitly get loud and low.

Isaac C

Stunt Coordinator
Xmax is pretty low and Fs is relatively higher compared to most "home" drivers. How much is this driver unit? I'd recommend an Adire Audio Shiva instead, which has more Xmax, better bass extension given only a (smaller) 142.5-litre vented-box @ 16Hz-18Hz and it'll play louder too. The authorized distributor of Adire Audio products is Acoustic Concepts and it is in Melbourne :)

Richard_M

Second Unit
Thanks guys for the replys.

Isaac,

The sub is built by John from Acoustic Concepts, and the driver is the same one that is used in the Osbourne subs.

I had a listen to the unit yesterday, and felt that there was very little in the way of mid bass. But in saying that I do not know how the rest of the system was configured, or if the levels were set right. What also made it difficult was that they did not have a multi region DVD player or the ability to play DTS, so all the reference material I took along I could not use. The sub is in exellent condition and they are asking $1800.00.

This is why I am trying to get a feel for the output, it stands about 1mtr tall and is 500x500mm square made out of 33mm MDF with 2x ports approx 3in not sure about that.

I guess I am wanting to know if it is a worthwhile investment, or should I put my money towards a better unit.

Thanks

Richard

TimForman

Supporting Actor
$1800!!! I think I could build 4 powered Tempest or AV15 (or ?) subs for that. I should qualify my numbers by saying that was the Hz at 90 db which is near normal operating volume IMO. It was quite a bit louder above that Hz which makes me think this is more suited to Pro audio than the home. Personally, I'd rather have multiple subs than one giant one.

Richard_M

Second Unit
Thanks Tim,

I take it from what you are saying that this unit is more designed for Pro use, and that it does not go sub 20hz with good output?

I have decided not to buy the unit, but I guess I am just being inquisitive.

Richard

TimForman

Supporting Actor
That's the way it looks. For example, the Adire Tempest won't play as loud but it'll go 10 Hz lower. If you're in your home I think you'll be more interested in good low response than sheer SPL. Also, I forgot to convert AUS dollars. 1800 is close to 900 here. Still, I could build two or three killer subs that combined would outperform the single Focal and give you more even in-room response.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
For example, the Adire Tempest won't play as loud but it'll go 10 Hz lower.
I think you this should be clarified a bit. With the same power, sure it might play louder than a Tempest based sub. But 6mm Xmax vs 16.4mm!? The Tempest has the potential to play much louder and much lower.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
The Tempest has the potential to play much louder and much lower
Especially with dual voice coils and a max power rating of 650W. The Focal has higher sensitivity and tops out at 300W. Thanks for pointing out the 6mm Xmax as did Isaac. That's surprisingly low for a 15" sub that they want US$1174 for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks