Requiem for a Dream (Directors vs. Rated)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Blu, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I'm interested in this movie and want to know the differences between the versions.
    I take it one is more graphic than another and one is probably the theatrical version.

Which would you recommend?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The R-rated cut was created primarily for the video market. The director's cut is what was released to theaters (at least most of them), with no rating, which is how I first saw it. It's the only version I've seen, and the only version I'd recommend.

M.

3. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

Yup. Also, the r - rated DVD has no extra's, while the unrated has plenty.

4. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

The R rated version doesn't show the best part of the movie...

ass to ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

IN my mind there is no R rated cut. Really, no verus, just go with the original directors cut. No reason not too.
    Thank you

6. JeffMc

JeffMc Supporting Actor

jeffmc
    Ya, always go with the unrated director's cut.

I own the DC version, but last Xmas when I was visiting family in Florida, we decided to rent it. Since I don't normally travel with all my DVD's, there was no other choice. Unfortunately, the only options in this small city were Blockbuster and Hollywood Video - both only carried the R-rated cut. (God, how I hate both of those chains). Rented the R version anyway because the clerk said the only brief edits were in the final moments (Adam's spoiler above mentioned it) and the rest was basically the same. This turned out to be true and it was still worth renting. The best part of the R version, though, was when the main title came on the screen (with that huge sound burst), it said in BIG letters something like "Requiem For a Dream - EDITED R-rated version". Wow - I loved that - maybe knock some sense into idiots who think they're renting uncut movies at these banal huge video chains. Death to BB and Hollywood, please.

7. Paul Bartlet

Paul Bartlet Stunt Coordinator

Ass to Ass

8. Josh Sieg

Josh Sieg Second Unit

Here's your differences:

The edited version replaces the shot of Marion and another woman having sex with two men with a shot of Marion partially clothed climbing on top of a man. Also, all the shots of the double-ended dildo and the shots of Marion and the woman having sex on it have been replaced with alternate camera angles and shots that hide any indication that the two are having anal sex on it. Some shots were also re-used to hide the close-ups of the two butts slamming together.

AND

In the opening credits for the edited version, when the title card "Requiem for a Dream" crashes down, underneath it is a red box with red lettering that reads "edited version", making it clear to the viewer that they are not seeing the true version of the film.

9. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Second Unit

Took the words right our of my mouth Josh. I received the edited version as a gift (even when I asked for the unrated version, hehehe) and after viewing both, I love how they included "edited" on the main title. It's like the director is giving chains like Ballbuster a big FU for not wanting the true version of a film.

Dean

10. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Thanks all!
    Since I am enraptured with the lovely Jennifer Connelly I am going to get this one after work today!

11. Skyler

Skyler Stunt Coordinator

My Stepmother got the unrated version from her 22 year old Son for Christmas. What a twisted little freak. My Wife & I watched it, were imagining the look on her face! Great film BTW.

12. JohnAP

JohnAP Second Unit

Yeah, the only reason the edited version exists is so they could get it into blockbuster. I guess if you were buying the video for your grandmother or to show to a high scool class, you might want the R-rated version, but most people shouldn't bother with it.

13. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

14. Dan Shogren

Dan Shogren Stunt Coordinator

15. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

After reading this thread I dug out Requiem (which I had taped off tv but never got round to watching) and watched it this afternoon - and I now feel exactly as Chuck does. But I definitely wanna watch it again, preferably in crystal clear dvd-o-vision...