What's new

Requiem for a Dream (Directors vs. Rated) (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
I'm interested in this movie and want to know the differences between the versions.
I take it one is more graphic than another and one is probably the theatrical version.

Which would you recommend?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The R-rated cut was created primarily for the video market. The director's cut is what was released to theaters (at least most of them), with no rating, which is how I first saw it. It's the only version I've seen, and the only version I'd recommend.

M.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
The R rated version doesn't show the best part of the movie...

ass to ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
IN my mind there is no R rated cut. Really, no verus, just go with the original directors cut. No reason not too.
Thank you

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Ya, always go with the unrated director's cut.

I own the DC version, but last Xmas when I was visiting family in Florida, we decided to rent it. Since I don't normally travel with all my DVD's, there was no other choice. Unfortunately, the only options in this small city were Blockbuster and Hollywood Video - both only carried the R-rated cut. (God, how I hate both of those chains). Rented the R version anyway because the clerk said the only brief edits were in the final moments (Adam's spoiler above mentioned it) and the rest was basically the same. This turned out to be true and it was still worth renting. The best part of the R version, though, was when the main title came on the screen (with that huge sound burst), it said in BIG letters something like "Requiem For a Dream - EDITED R-rated version". Wow - I loved that - maybe knock some sense into idiots who think they're renting uncut movies at these banal huge video chains. Death to BB and Hollywood, please.

Josh Sieg

Second Unit
Here's your differences:

The edited version replaces the shot of Marion and another woman having sex with two men with a shot of Marion partially clothed climbing on top of a man. Also, all the shots of the double-ended dildo and the shots of Marion and the woman having sex on it have been replaced with alternate camera angles and shots that hide any indication that the two are having anal sex on it. Some shots were also re-used to hide the close-ups of the two butts slamming together.

AND

In the opening credits for the edited version, when the title card "Requiem for a Dream" crashes down, underneath it is a red box with red lettering that reads "edited version", making it clear to the viewer that they are not seeing the true version of the film.

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
Took the words right our of my mouth Josh. I received the edited version as a gift (even when I asked for the unrated version, hehehe) and after viewing both, I love how they included "edited" on the main title. It's like the director is giving chains like Ballbuster a big FU for not wanting the true version of a film.

Dean

Blu

Screenwriter
Thanks all!
Since I am enraptured with the lovely Jennifer Connelly I am going to get this one after work today!

Skyler

Stunt Coordinator
My Stepmother got the unrated version from her 22 year old Son for Christmas. What a twisted little freak. My Wife & I watched it, were imagining the look on her face! Great film BTW.

JohnAP

Second Unit
Yeah, the only reason the edited version exists is so they could get it into blockbuster. I guess if you were buying the video for your grandmother or to show to a high scool class, you might want the R-rated version, but most people shouldn't bother with it.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Since I am enraptured with the lovely Jennifer Connelly I am going to get this one after work today!
Okay...

Just be ready to take a really long shower after it's over, and that might not be enough... After watching the thing, I felt like I'd been dragged through Baghdad's sewers...

Dan Shogren

Stunt Coordinator
Just be ready to take a really long shower after it's over, and that might not be enough... After watching the thing, I felt like I'd been dragged through Baghdad's sewers...
This is one of the most fantastic movies ive ever seen but i never want to ever see it again. I did buy the soundtrack tho.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
After reading this thread I dug out Requiem (which I had taped off tv but never got round to watching) and watched it this afternoon - and I now feel exactly as Chuck does. But I definitely wanna watch it again, preferably in crystal clear dvd-o-vision...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks