Requesting Q&A About Scan Rates

Discussion in 'Displays' started by James Edward, Jun 30, 2005.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I'm hoping to understand more about scan rates as they concern settings on HD set-top boxes and possibly DVD players.

For example, the Cablevision HD box(Scientific Atlanta 4200HD) offers many settings for scan rates-you can select anywhere from one to all that are available-480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i. If you choose more than one, you would then select the option called 'pass-through', allowing the signal to go directly to the TV in its native state.
    But that only makes sense to me if the TV itself can display these rates. But how exactly do you know what your TV can display? I assume that my CRT-RPTV displays 1080i, so I should set my STB to only 1080i. I have seen the cable techs set the boxes for all of the above, and I don't know if that makes sense in most cases.

But is this true of all HD sets? Right now, I'm referring only to single box units, not front projectors.

Please let me know how to determine the 'native' scan rate of a given set.
    Are all of the other options only applicable to projectors?
    Thanks for any info- and I hope to ask some other questions as they come to mind...

2. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Something just came to mind-

Do outboard scalers also fit into the scheme of things here too?

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Read the manual or the specs. Most HDTV's today can convert one to the other and that capability would also be listed in the specs.