Request for suggestions - new HT

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick R. Sklenar, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Patrick R. Sklenar

Patrick R. Sklenar Second Unit

I was wondering if folks might be willing to check out my new Future Grumpy's Lair Home Theater web page and give me some recommendations. As you can see from the floor plan, if I go with my prefered arrangement, the whole right side of the HT area will be open. I can put the surround speaker on a stand (no problem), but do I have any other options?
    Thanks,

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Actually, I personally think either layout would work. Usually with angled setups, it makes for poor speaker placement, but in yours you seem to have enough room to pull it off. But you lose that add'l space for other things (ie: pool table.. bar.. mini golf.. etc)

3. Patrick R. Sklenar

Dave,
    Okay, lots of folks have mentioned pool and foosball tables, but I give you credit ... you're the first to suggest "mini golf"! [​IMG]
    Okay, on a more serious note, lets assume I go with my first choice (thus leaving room for the golf course [​IMG] ), what type of side surround speakers (direct or di/bi-poles, satellite or in-wall/in-ceiling) do I go with and how do I mount them? Any suggestions?
    Thanks,

4. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I would go with the first idea. Are you going to have anything that separates the two parts of the room? I would recommend a curtain or something that could possibly help equalize the soundstage. Good symmetry leads to a good soundstage.

Good luck, looks good so far.

Jon

5. Patrick R. Sklenar

Jon,

I'm leaning towards a heavy curtain hung from the front face of the ceiling raceway (the lowered section of ceiling). This would give me roughly a 13-14 feet wide HT area. I'd set up the seating and speakers to fully utilize the left 10' (i.e.; the whole back 1/2 of the area) and that space under the lowered ceiling area would be the "aisle".

Does this make any sense?