Request for help - matching up speakers.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert McKofke, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Robert McKofke

Robert McKofke Auditioning

Compared to most of you guys, I'm as "newbie" as a person can get in regards to Home Theater - so I turn to the gurus for some help.

Currently, I have the following HT setup :

Receiver : Sony STR-DE845

L&R speakers : Fisher 3 way, ST515;120w rated/240w max;15"woofer, 4" mid, 1/2" tweeter.

Surround speakers :
    Center : Sony SS-CN100, 80 watt max.
    Satellites : Sony SS-SR100, 50 watt max.

Sub : Sony SA-WM20, 50 watts.

The speakers are my main concern, I've had them for over 5 years now. The reciever and sub I have had for about a year. I do enjoy the sound of the Fisher speakers, but I find the surrounds have always been lacking (I've really been able to get use out of them over the past year - prior to that I never used them, mainly because my old receiver didn't have DD5.1, let alone DTS, and prior to me getting married the available space with which I had to work with didn't reallt accommodate a surround set-up). In any event, I have been thinking about upgrading to a better center channel and satellites - but I also want to match the speakers as best as I can. I'd really hate to get new speakers to replace the Fisher set, becuase they do sound very well, and are powerful!

I'm basically looking for suggestions on surround speakers, within a modest budget. I know, especially in electronics, the phrase "you get what you pay for" applies more often than not, but I also know that I don't need to spend like Donald Trump to get the sound that Donald trump would appreciate. I would have to say anything between $500 - $600 would be do-able with my budget.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

2. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

my suggestion:

paradigm cinema
    axiom m0ti
    psb alpha

any of those should cost you under 250 bucks. and i assure you they are miles ahead compared to your existing speakers.

3. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I can second the Alphas. They were my introduction into the true "Bang for the Buck" speakers category. Reviews are plentiful and for what you have they are a good choice but if you ever do wish to provide them with better amplification one day, they will provide you with even better sonics.

Good Luck

4. Robert McKofke

Robert McKofke Auditioning

Excellent - thanks so much for the replies!

edit :

I've looked over the three choices, and the alpha series and paradigm series look great. My question is, would it be wise to mix the two? For example - use the paradigm center and the alpha satellites, or vice versa? The reason I ask is because the alpha series doesn't seem to have a specific canter channel - they have a set that can be used as a center, or main, or even satellite. I was under the impression that when these speakers are designed, they are done so with that specific function in mind and nothing else (you wouldn't use a center as the left channel, for example).

Again, forgive me if I sound naive - despite the fact that I am!

5. felix_suwarno

http://psbspeakers.com/HomeTheaterST.html
    check that page for more info about the center psb alphas. i have image 1b for rears while in the front i am using boston vr-m50 and vr-mc. the psb sounds just fine, i am not complaining at all.
    i still have my paradigm cinema with me. it sounds great for such a small speaker.

6. felix_suwarno

btw check yawa audio online for psb speakers. they are authorized dealer for psb, customer service was excellent, and you can find b product. my image 1b was b product...but i couldnt find anything that is wrong with them. honest

7. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor