Request for feedback on 'The Mission'

Discussion in 'DVD' started by [email protected], Aug 12, 2003.

1. Frank@N

[email protected] Screenwriter

I just got done watching The Mission and couldn't help but be underwhelmed by the video quality.

What I saw was an unremarkable transfer with very weak blacks (compared to current catalog transfers like Hunt for Red October).

I'm trying to reconcile this experience with the one review I found over at DVDfile before purchase:

"Marvelous! This 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer excels on all levels. Black levels are rich and supple despite the passage of time, with excellent detail that is crisp and revealing in fine texture...The Mission looks great."

Is my copy of 'The Mission' defective?

2. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    This 1986 movie looked pretty "marvelous" to me, too. I owned the widescreen laser disc, and this DVD simply leaves it in the dust. The dilineation of the dozens of shades of green in the rainforest all look spectacular. There is no aliasing and if there is edge enhancement, I did not see it. Flesh tones look pretty accurate and are consistent, image is sharp. Sound is exactly what it was meant to be. Don't know why you found this a disappointment... can you explain?

3. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    I remember watching this a month or two ago and thinking it looked fantastic.

4. Adam Horak

Adam Horak Stunt Coordinator

I was also very underwhelmed by this transfer. I thought it was quite inconsistant. I will admit that some scenes looked georgeous, but others suffered.

There were quite a few scenes that had very poor black level. Scenes that you could tell should have been very dark but seemed to consist of just washed out grays. These scenes looked like I had suddenly turned the black level on my display way up. I don't remember which scenes these were exactly, as I haven't watched it since I picked it up on release day.

I also noticed some scenes that looked very soft, almost out of focus. That could be the actual focus on filming, not the tranfer though.

5. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

The movie was shot with an intentional "foggy" look. You're not seeing many blacks because there aren't many--mostly browns and grays. Director Roland Joffe personally supervised the DVD transfer and even brought in the original cinematographer during the process to make sure it looked right.

This DVD looks exactly the way they wanted it to look. It reflects the way the film looked in theaters, where I first saw it and fell in love with it.

You might find this thread of interest.

6. Adam Horak

Adam Horak Stunt Coordinator

I'll take your word that it is a stylistic choice. I just found it odd because there only seemed to be a few scenes that exhibited this effect. All of a sudden it would jump out at me on a cut and my mind would be taken out of the film.

7. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

Adam, have you watched the feature-length documentary or listened to the commentary? Some of the shoot was quite difficult and sometimes you have to go with a take whether the lighting is just right or not.

8. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

I was also unimpressed. if that was the original look and budget, fine. still ain't no visual wonder technically.

the movie - great!

9. Frank@N

[email protected] Screenwriter

10. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

It looked great to me!

I think the reason for black level variance is due to the adverse shooting conditions, not to a defect in the transfer. I think Chris Menges' cinematography is astounding in this picture. Great film.