What's new

Request: Film in HD which have pristine 2.35:1 or higher transfers. (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The "pushed" grain in 300 is stunning. I was talking to another HD DVD owner in Wal*Mart the other day, and he was complaining that it looked "too grainy." He didn't seem to buy it when I told him that the intention of the director was to make it look grainy, but then again, his HD DVD player was an XBox 360 add-on. Draw whatever inferences you like from that.

FTR, anyone who's read Frank Miller's original graphic novel would fully understand the grainy look of the film.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I own a 360 add-on and I prefer film grain. Don't come to conclusions about people's preferences for film based upon their equipment. I have a 20" flat screen CRT and I enjoy OAR films. It's just my budget right now which is limiting me to get the equipment I'd like to purchase. I own a 6.1 receiver but I just need to upgrade the speakers and get a new sub-woofer. I have the SONY STR-DE598. I'm prolly gonna upgrade my receiver to an ONKYO TX-705's or higher. When I eventually upgrade my display, I'll probably have someone calibrate it. I'm planning on perhaps getting a DLP.

I import alot so to all those who've imported many various HDDVD's, all is welcome on their comments. Hopefully I'll be steered towards the titles which retains the film grain and aren't EE'd/DNR'd all to hell... Of course it all depends on a good price range.:crazy:

Does The Last Starfighter HDDVD retain the soft filter/focus look onnit?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
That's why I said to draw whatever inferences you like from that. This guy fit the stereotypical "gamer" profile. I realise there are lots of 360 owners with add-on players who don't fit the typical "gamer" profile.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Yes The Last Starfighter seems to have been shot with Promist filters or some equivalent and to me the HD DVD looks to accurately reproduce the soft filter look of that film.

Doug

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I deed! Yesterday was a blast. I talked more aboot it at our "usual" hangout on HTF.;)

Regarding the titles I sold on DVD which are on the list, those have higher priority for me to get compared to others. So as soon as I get all the titles from the list, I'll start buying the other ones. As long as they carry over every extra comparings to the release version/edition I had on DVD. After I buy those, it's up to me which ones to buy and in what groupings and all that random nonsense. Of course I do have choices for movies I'd never buy let alone watch so YMMV. Should I make a list of the titles I want to buy after I purchase the ones I already mentioned? Yes, I enjoy making lists. Last but not least, I'm using DVDCompare.net and many various picture compare websites excluding DVDBeaver.com for the HDDVD side of things. DVDBeaver doesn't take the actual capture of the disc and only uses a digital camera. Frankly it isn't even helpful unlike other websites i go to where they use direct screencaptures using their computer. BulletsnBabes forums, CapsAHolic and a few others. Helpful too since the majority of them use the "rollover" method.

I won't be buying as many Blu's since I don't have my own player yet. I'm holding off on buying one until profile 2.0 and the players are at a reasonable price. Which I mentioned. So, I am technically "Purple" but leaning obviously more to HDDVD due to convienance (sp?). I do have the XBOX 360 HDDVD add-on at my house so that's a plus.
Just wondering since I'm also planning on eventually purchase a full 1080p display in the future. I have and am going to be buying DVD's and HDDVD's and such which has PAL SD content on them. Will an HDTV display both NTSC and PAL? I'm multi-region and the player is an Oppo 971H.

The linky below is a listing on the website where i keep track of my DVD collection. It's filtered on HDDVD's. Containing both "Owneded", Wishlist and Orders. Here's the list. Any comments would be good regarding the specific versions I wanna buy PQ's and AQ's. Of course the film series in my signature obviously doesn't count.:crazy:
DVDSpot:

Oh, one last thing. The HDDVD's of Mission: Impossible III and TRANSFORMERS didn't have the retail covers in the case. I bought them from "Hollyweird Videro" while they were having their 2 for $20 sale. I thought I saw the retail cover for M:I:III there but no luck. AND I need to buy new toner catridges for my Lexmark X83. Mebbe matte-finish photo-paper? I have the right templates for them and such but nothing to print them out on. Link me please.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
Coyote Ugly (2000, Blu-ray Disc) - Includes PG-13 Theatrical & Unrated (R-rated) Extended Cuts
Black Christmas (2006, HD DVD)

Deliverance (1972, HD DVD & Blu-ray Disc) also looks excellent.

JulianK

Supporting Actor

Don't forget that the Bullitt disc has the considerable bonus of a feature-length documentary on film editing, which features many clips in their original aspect ratio (and it's in HD!)

Mary_P

Second Unit
So you'd probably be interested to know that "Firefly" is coming to Blu-ray. No date announced yet, but Jewel Staite (Kaylee) mentioned at a convention recently that she'd been contacted by Fox to record some new material for it, and that's been confirmed by TV Shows on DVD. I wouldn't be surprised if Universal announces a BD release of "Serenity" to coincide with it. (Actually, I'd be surprised if they didn't!) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks