What's new

Reputable dealers for front projector replacement bulbs? (1 Viewer)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
So after several years of regular use, I got the first "warning" from my Mitsubishi HD1000U projector that the bulb/lamp is nearing the end of its life.

I got the projector from the fine folks at ProjectorPeople.com and will strongly consider getting my replacement lamp from them as well.

As I've read in several places before, there are generally two "tiers" of pricing for replacement lamp assemblies - the more expensive is usually OEM while the cheaper lamp a knockoff brand/OEM "equivalent".

In terms of price difference, we're talking $300-350 vs. $100-150.

I'm not in the market for a new projector - it will be a replacement lamp. I'm perfectly willing to pay the higher price if it's truly a safer bet, and I'll get a higher quality lamp that will last another couple thousand hours of regular use.

Does anyone have any experience with various retailers out there for replacement lamps?

Some of the retailers that offer the lamp at the higher price include:

ProjectorPeople (I know these folks are the real deal)

TigerDirect

B&H Photo

Any thoughts/experiences with these retailers? Any others?

Thanks for any input.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
My retail price is $275. I would never buy a non OEM bulb for a projector. What happens if the bulb fails / explodes ?

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Some projectors tolerate generic bulbs better than others. I would only even remotely suggest an aftermarket lamp if you have a local storefront to "walk" it back into if it fails to work properly. If you order online, do it from Mitsubishi and not some retailer, unless you can verify that they supply "Factory" lamps. (ie Authorized Mitsubishi Distributor) Otherwise you could end up with a generic lamp without realizing it. (at full Factory price)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Thanks for the input. I'll play it safe and stick with the people I know - ProjectorPeople. They were fantastic when I got the projector in the first place. The first projector they sent actually died after running for only 10 minutes. They immediately sent a replacement as well as a prepaid packing slip for me to return the faulty model directly to Mitsubishi. Their tech support staff were friendly and very helpful, and followed up to make sure all was fine.

I know they only offer OEM bulbs and are a Mitsubishi authorized dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks