Repulsion and Yesterday Today and Tomorrow DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ken Koc, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

I noticed recently an announcement that was in DVD Planet that Koch was releasing Polanski"s "Repulsion" and "Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow",. The later was a very funny Italian movie with Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni.
    Has anyone heard any other details?

2. ArthurMy

ArthurMy Supporting Actor

Um, Koch "released" Polanski's Repulsion years ago and if there's a more repulsive DVD available I haven't seen it. Taken from a battered 16mm print - and the cover... the cover... my eyes, my eyes.

You want Repulsion get an all-region player and buy Anchor Bay's excellent (but not perfect) transfer from the UK - available separately or in a box with Cul-de-Sac and Knife in the Water.

3. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

We can only hope that Koch will retain their previous coverart for Roman Polanski's Repulsion---perhaps the most inappropriate cover in the history of the medium:

[​IMG]

4. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I don't know if there's a Repulsion release (or re-release) coming soon, I checked the KL website and they didn't say anything about it.

That old cover makes it look like Catherine Deneuve was starring in "The Betty Grable Story."

5. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

I have the multi region Polanski set and its great.
    I was just hoping that perhaps that these might be new transfers with some integrity.

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Yes, the PAL release of "REPULSION" is very good -- not sure if the image will ever look pristine, but that disc is the best I've ever seen it. And, I have to admit, the rejiggered DTS surround mix is very effective and not too hollow or processed sounding. Some may still prefer the original as the surround remix betrays a bit of that processed sound, but when those walls start cracking all around you... [​IMG]

So, "Koch" is now "Koch Lorber"? Maybe we can hold out some hope for this. That previous release still has my vote for the most godawfully inapt cover ever created. Had those idiots even seen the film?

7. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

Koch Lorber is the art-film division of Koch International (and has no relationship--except for founder of both labels, Richard Lorber--with Fox Lorber, which is now called Wellspring).

8. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Yep, definitely get the R2 Repulsion if you can (okay, I have it, but haven't watched it yet, but if it's anything like the Cul-De-Sac disc...).

9. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

I have been holding out for a R1 of Repulsion for years now. I don't know why I haven't pulled the trigger on a region free player yet. Between my desire for this as well as "The Goodies", I should have been put over the edge to get that player.

10. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

My only beef with the R2 "Repulsion" is the PAL thing. My monitor won't display PAL, so I have to convert the image to NTSC, thus introducing some unwanted artifacts.

Still, it's way better than all the other releases!

So this "Koch" is not the new, occasionally improved "Koch Lorber"? Damn.

11. Haggai

Haggai Producer

No, Rich, I think they are the same. But I don't think they're releasing a new disc of Repulsion.

12. Jay Gregory

Jay Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Comcast's on demand MoviePass package is currently showing Repulsion, or at least in Atlanta. Anyway, this print starts with an old Columbia lady logo. I dunno if this means that Comcast got this print and the broadcast rights from Sony, or if TV packages and DVD rights even overlap in this case, but there you go.

Anyway, I'll agree that the Anchor Bay disk is still a pretty good way to go. I doubt an R1 disk will include the commentary.

13. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

The UK Anchor Bay set also has all of Polanksi's short films and Repulsion has the Criterion Laserdisc commentary by Polanski and Deneuve. There are interviews for each film, also. It's a brilliant set - one of the best releases ever by Anchor Bay.

14. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

We owe most of it to Daniel Bird, who, among other things, tracked down the shorts from the Polish archives.

DJ

15. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

I have the old video tape, and it is from columbia videos. Wasnt this on LD?

16. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

This is another one of those annoying quasi-PD situations. Compton Productions produced Polanski's REPULSION and CUL-DE-SAC, and they are out of business. REPULSION was released by Columbia, and CUL-DE-SAC bought by Filmways and released by Sigma III, both companies' assets eventually making their way to MGM. As such, they do technically control the films and posess excellent elements on both. But there has been little incentive in the U.S. for them to release the films for fear of having the transfer hijacked by these PD outfits. And it does happen: Criterion made a glorious letterboxed laserdisc of ZULU years ago, and any time you see a cheap DVD of the title, labeled "widescreen," it's readily obvious that it's been sourced from that disc.
    Columbia collaborated with Criterion on a beautiful laserdisc years ago, back when they had a general output deal with the company, but that has gone out of print. I can only hope that Columbia may be enticed to release a good version to tie in with their upcoming Polanski adaptation of OLIVER TWIST.

17. Lawrence X

Lawrence X Stunt Coordinator

Ooooh, Repulsion is one of my all time favorites. I'm heading over to NetFlix NOW!

18. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Tommy G, the R2 UK release of the The Goodies looks very good. They spent some time restoring this. Considering how obscure this is, I don't see it coming to R1...ever. Most Brits I know haven't even heard of The Goodies!

19. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Thanks Mark. I'm still holding out hope for both The Goodies and Repulsion. I've heard that the PAL conversion to NTSC deteriorates the picture quality and that is the reason I don't do the region free thing. Anyway, I may have to look for a Criterion LD on ebay or something and convert it to dvd that way for Repulsion.

20. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

If they do show up on DVD here they'll be PAL to NTSC conversions. In my past experience, a good PAL converting dvd player will give you a better image than most 'professionally' converted dvds. You can see this as 'ghosting'. Shows up in DVDBeaver.com comparisons all the time.