What's new

Republic Pictures (Who owns the rights to their Catalog)? No text. Thanks (1 Viewer)

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
As far as I know most of the titles belong to Paramount BUT they sub-licensed them (all?) to Lionsgate a couple of years back.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Lionsgate's got that catalog. But how large is the library? All I know about them is they were a sorta-big producer/distributor of films back in the 40's and 50's of largely Westerns (?) and they degenerated into direct-to-video cheapies toward their final days (mid-90's). I'm more of a horror buff so I know them mostly for movies like Night of the Demons 2 but I remember watching a number of B&W films on TV made by Republic. I'd love to see a list of titles they control.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_Pictures

Most of the Republic titles are listed among the Paramount films in their complete library here: http://www.paramount.com/studio/library/complete-library

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
There are several HUGE titles that Republic owns including:

"The Quiet Man" John Ford/John Wayne films which has been released in a horrid DVD twice.

"High Noon" One of the greatest westerns of all-time starring Gary Cooper

"Moonrise" A Great moody noir by Frank Borzage

"Sands of Iwo Jima" John Wayne war film

"Rio Grande" Part of the John Ford/John Wayne Calvary trilogy

"Johnny Guitar" Nicholas Ray western with a stellar cast headed by Joan Crawford (WHY HAS THIS NEVER BEEN RELEASED????)

Several other notables that I'm fairly positive belong to Republic but are not at the below link include:

"Invasion of the Body Snatchers" - Theoriginal masterpiece

"Pursued" - A great western with Robert Mitchum

"Body & Soul" - Film Noir with John Garfield

"Cloak and Dagger"

"The Bells of St. Marys"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_Pictures

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Republic Pictures was a production-distribution corporation with studio facilities, operating from 1934 through 1959 and best known for its specialization in westerns, movie serials and B films emphasizing mystery and action. They produced and distributed over 1000 films, shorts and serials. They were also responsible for financing one Shakespeare film, Orson Well's Macbeth (1948), and several of the films of John Ford during the 1940s and early 1950s, and for developing the careers and star-status of John Wayne, Gene Autry and Roy Rogers. Ththis

Republic Pictures was one of the first Hollywood companies to embrace television by selling their films and serials to local stations. In 1958 they ceased production and distribution and sold their library to NTA (National Telefilm Associates). NTA was so successful in selling the library to local stations and then emerging cable stations that it purchased the Republic Pictures name and logo in 1986.

In 1994 Spelling Entertainment purchase Republic Pictures (NTA) and subsequently by 2000 Viacon purchased Spelling and it is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Paramount. The story does not end there for Spelling licensed the Republic library to Artisan Entertainment, which was purchased by Lionsgate and Lionsgate extended their license of the films and so all but a handful of the Republic films is controlled by Lionsgate. Paramount hung on to several including IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. Many of the films are in public domain, which is why there are so many copies of certain films around. The holy grail of the library now is JOHNNY GUITAR. A title that has been announced several times but never released. You can get a pretty good list of titles from IMDB.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by ahollis

The holy grail of the library now is JOHNNY GUITAR. A title that has been announced several times but never released.

JOHNNY GUITAR is available on DVD in the U.K. for those who have region-free DVD players. There it was released by Universal, and it has both the Universal and Republic Pictures logos on the cover. It even has an introduction by Martin Scorsese, so you have to think that a U.S. release was being planned. However, it was released four years ago and there still is no sign of a Region One DVD.

Amazon is selling a region-free DVD from Korea.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Richard Gallagher

JOHNNY GUITAR is available on DVD in the U.K. for those who have region-free DVD players. There it was released by Universal, and it has both the Universal and Republic Pictures logos on the cover. It even has an introduction by Martin Scorsese, so you have to think that a U.S. release was being planned. However, it was released four years ago and there still is no sign of a Region One DVD.

Paramount announced it back around 2004 then dropped it when they renewed the license for the films to Lionsgate. It is great to realize there is Scorsese introduction for it and I do have region-free DVD player, I would like a Region 1. Is that too much to ask for? LOL

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
These guys have got three genre flicks I desperately need on DVD: THE BOOGENS, TICKS and THE VULTURE!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by SWFF

These guys have got three genre flicks I desperately need on DVD: THE BOOGENS, -and THE VULTURE!
Interesting

The Boogens was produced by Taft International Pictures which acquired Worldvision (owned by ABC) in 1979, then Taft (then called Great American Broadcasting) was acquired by Spelling in 1986. So yes it is in the clutches of Lionsgate.

Ticks - I assume that you are talking about the 1993 (Infested) and they holding it hostage awaiting the exterminator to free it.

The Vulture - If you are referring to the 1967 British film, then Paramount owns that title and as with Lionsgate, a lot of moss is going to grow before it sees a DVD release.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I assumed many years ago that it would take a rip in the very fabric of Space and Time to get THE VULTURE released on any kind of DVD, so, I ended up buying a bootleg of it. Still have it and still watch it. It's a very relaxing flick for me. Yes, you're right on which TICKS I'm referring to. Still don't have a boot of that one, yet. Did acquire a nice LBX one of THE BOOGENS last year.

I'm not holding my breath on any of these ever seeing the light of day.

I can still hope, though.

Miracles do happen. At least, that's what I've been told.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by SWFF

I assumed many years ago that it would take a rip in the very fabric of Space and Time to get THE VULTURE released on any kind of DVD, so, I ended up buying a bootleg of it. Still have and still watch it. It's a very relaxing flick for me. Yes, you're right on which TICKS I'm referring to. Still don't have a boot of that one, yet. Did acquire a nice LBX one of THE BOOGENS last year.

I'm not holding my breath on any of these ever seeing the light of day.

I can still hope, though.

Miracle do happen. At least, that's what I've been told.

Miracles happen and I don't get any greater rush than finding a title I want. Good luck on your hunt and hope they come up with some decent transfers for you sometime. PS - I just got that rush with your post on the Triple Feature Roger Cormans. Thanks.

flagbrothers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Perry
There are several film noir titles that Republic picture has in their catalog, maybe Olive Films can obtain the rights and have some released.

Noir Films [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)](Republic has many more not listed)[/COLOR]

Accused of Murder

The Wayward Girl

Terror at Midnight

Scandal Incorporated

The Man is Armed

Trevor824

Grip
Real Name
Trevor
THE BOOGENS has been playing on cable with a Paramount logo, so they own the film now. It is scheduled to be shown on TCM this month on October 22.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Outside of a restored Blu-Ray release of THE QUIET MAN, my most desired Republic title is THE LAST COMMAND (1955) my favorite version of the siege of the Alamo. It has an interesting backstory. John Wayne wanted to produce and direct this film. Herbert Yates, head of Republic, wanted him to star, but not produce or direct. Wayne got mad and dropped out. Yates made it anyway to spite Wayne.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Quote:

Originally Posted by ahollis
I just got that rush with your post on the Triple Feature Roger Cormans. Thanks.

Isn't that "rush" great? I felt it when Shout released their first ever press release that said GALAXY OF TERROR, FORBIDDEN WORLD, PIRANHA, and HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP were going to hit DVD in bells and whistles special editions. I just about lost my shit when I read that. Had another rush recently when Warner Archives released THE GREEN SLIME!

I love those "movie rushes!"

I keep hoping some of those titles I need would get optioned by Olive Films.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Originally Posted by Richard Gallagher

Anyone looking to get a Region 2 copy of Johnny Guitar would be advised to avoid the UK disc from Universal. Universal hold the UK rights for most, if not all, of Republic's movies there. The transfers tend to be patchy at best, and Johnny Guitar is no exception - I think it's quite poor.

The way to go is to pick up the Paramount release from France or Holland (I can't remember if Germany got the Paramount edition) as the PQ is streets ahead of the UK version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks