Reporting Bootleggers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh J, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Josh J

Josh J Auditioning

Would anyone happen to have an email address I could report a website to that is bootlegging an old favorite 80's movie of mine, Rad on Dvd. I'm hoping by reporting them they will hopefully see there is an actual demand for this movie on dvd. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The studio will tell you to report it to the MPAA. The MPAAA handles these things for the studios

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Please remove the link to the site that offers pirated material.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Done

5. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    A funny story about bootleggers...

About a month or so ago my former roommate was at a toy show at LA's Shrine Auditorium. There was a table set up selling bootleg DVDs of all the new hit movies still playing theaters. The FBI showed up about an hour before closing and confiscated everything. The people running the booth were shouting at the FBI official in charge while a couple of officers were boxing up the DVDs. They kept pleading "But, but, we bought these on Ebay! We bought them on Ebay!". The FBI official replied "So????? You think just because you bought them on Ebay that it makes them legal?"

Jeff

6. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

gotta love those FBI guys... [​IMG]

7. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

It is really funny the amount of people that buy boots from ebay and have no clue. I work in a used place and I always have to turn down bootlegs. I had a woman try to sell me four Disney titles, and the word Disney was no where on the package. I pointed that out to her and she finally got it. Ebay should crack down on that stuff more.

-Ian

8. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

I can't even find where to report these people on Ebay! I wanted to turn in a bunch of people who are bootlegging Criterion DVD's. I e-mailed Criterion to report these people and they said it is often difficult to prove because they have to prove without a doubt that these are bootlegs. They do what they can but still so much gets through.

Matt

9. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I always get a chuckle out of bootlegs, like the "Superbit" Lilo and Stich released by 20th century fox and directed by Steven Speilberg. (Seen at a local flee-market, beside a table that had a 15 year old selling pimped out knives for $20)

I can not believe that people get suckered into these, Seeing as studios have a tendency to muck up transfers on their own, these "boots" must be horrendous!

BEAT THE BOOTS! Tell the studios that you will buy them if they keep putting out crappy transfers, or keep stalling on your favorites! Maybe they'll take a hint and put out discs right the first time! (But by all means DON"T actually buy them, The Film maker deserve your hard earned cash, not these bootlegging creeps!)

10. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    I've frequently used the MPAA email address above, and things got pulled from EBay in less than 2 hours.......

11. Jeff Kleist

all boots should be reported to the mpaa. Reporting them to Ebay does nothing

12. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

Speaking of eBay, how do they allow the countless auctions of anime boots? Do they not monitor what is put up for sale?

13. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Richard, no, they don't. Reporting sometimes works, but they typically don't do anything unless you have proof. I bought a bootleg of Braveheart and sent them scans of it to show that it was, in fact, a bootleg (multiple typos and crappy font on cover). I got a reply saying I would have to have it professionally appraised before they would do anything.

14. ShanonS

ShanonS Stunt Coordinator

And what really bites is that the bootlegs have driven prices so far down on ebay that I can't sell legitimate used discs at a decent price anymore.

15. Bob-Smith

Bob-Smith Agent

Being fairly new to HT, I wonder if there is any quick and dirty way to detect bootlegs? Help???

16. Jeff Kleist

Bob, any film not of Hong Kong origin(Basically, any US movie) that is Region 0 with Chinese and English subtitles on Ebay should be setting off warning bells. Also look for gross mispellings on cover art