What's new

Report: Lucas Refuses To Discuss Possibility of ‘Indiana Jones’ DVDs (1 Viewer)

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Here is a quote from this week’s cover article from Variety, which examines the explosive growth of DVD:
quote: As for Indiana Jones DVDs, Paramount has not raised the issue with Lucas since the subject was broached nearly two years ago – and he refused to discuss it.[/quote]
I guess, we all just have to wait a little longer.
frown.gif

Another statement worth quoting from the article:
quote: The most frequent reason films are withheld from DVD is simple: greed.[/quote]
~Edwin
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780.html#8
[Edited last by Edwin Pereyra on September 08, 2001 at 01:15 PM]

Lars Larsen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lars Larsen
The most frequent reason films are withheld from DVD is simple: greed.
Well if the DVDs aren't out there yet, nobody is making any money, so I'm not quite sure I understand that statement. Unless it's a legal holdup where everyone wants a piece of the cake...
- Lars

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I would say that "greed" is the main reason there are three or four different DVD versions of certain titles.
Maybe those who haven't put all of their movies out on DVD yet are simply looking to do them correctly the first time.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
If Paramount hasn't pushed for the DVD releases in two years, why would George Lucas be the bad guy? Moreover, George Lucas' position all along was that Star Wars would not be available on DVD until after Episode III. Now, we are only a little over a month away from the release of The Phantom Menace on DVD.
------------------
ep2.jpg

[Edited last by Tom_G on September 08, 2001 at 01:48 PM]
[Edited last by Tom_G on September 08, 2001 at 01:52 PM]

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I am sure members of the press will be pushing Lucas in regard to Indy on DVD this weekend at the big Phantom Menace DVD event at the Lucasfilm Ranch.
I've no doubt we may continue to hear the classic "not in the forseeable future" comment, but then, we had to accept that as the response regarding Phantom Menace on DVD which they had been secretly doing for over the past 12 months.
Like Star Wars, I don't see any such "no plans at this time" comment as definitive proof in regard to the status of a release...
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on September 08, 2001 at 01:52 PM]

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
While I'd like to see a lot of titles come out, I can understand that not every major series can hit at the same time. We have Episode I, Godfather and a host of others this year. If Indy and all the Star Wars were to suddenly appear, what would we look forward to next? I don't have the budget to buy every major film, and I'm sure I spend a lot more than most on DVDs. As long as they keep coming, and are done right the first time, I can't see complaining too loudly - a little - but not too much.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
quote: "Lucas is Greedo!!!"
Lucas shot first...??
------------------
~Marriage is great but she keeps leaving the toilet seat down...~

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
For a brief second, the thread heading startled me - I thought it was referring to this weekend's press love-in. It seems to be talking about an approach Paramount made two years ago. I think it is safe to say much has changed with the format since then, including his own release of SW-Ep1, and Spielberg's own foray into the format.
I am trusting that we will get better news this weekend, and whatever Lucas is, he is not stupid. His own people would have prepared him for this event, and questions about Indy, Indy 4, SW episodes 4-6, etc., will all be topics with well prepared briefing notes!

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
We have Episode I, Godfather and a host of others this year. If Indy and all the Star Wars were to suddenly appear, what would we look forward to next?
I have never understood this line of thinking. What would we have to look forward to next? How about WATCHING our favorite films over and over? Nobody ever got disappointed because their favorite film WAS available on VHS. I would be perfectly happy if every movie I wanted was available right now in a killer edition, because I could enjoy them as I would like.
-Tom
------------------
There is nothing wrong with any of the surrounds on your Forrest Gump DVD! It's ok!!!

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Don't be surprised if there is no information revealed on Indy or eps. 4-6 at the Q&A event. The following was posted by the owner of DVDTalk on his forum:
quote: also.... from the press e-mail Lucas Film says of the Q&A: Note: Please keep all questions focused on the Episode I DVD[/quote]
He also said in another recent post that September 11, DVD sites will have the thumbs up to post full reports on the Ep 1 DVD.
[Edited last by Scott_J on September 08, 2001 at 03:37 PM]

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
My take is that INDY films are coming, its just that Lucas is going to do things his way. I may be going out on a limb here, but I think he may have started pre-production on them or even is fully into them now.
Its just that he will decide when to announce them.
You gotta understand that Lucas was burned by the studio system years and years ago and that he pretty much swore that he would forever be an independent producer with the studio(s) working for him, not the other way around.
------------------
webmaster davisdvd.com
International Exclusives

Ben_J_L

Stunt Coordinator
I heard that the character jabba the Hut is meant to repesent the studio executives, with the same greed and ruthlessness characteristics.

Gary Rhine

Stunt Coordinator
You can bet they are in production right now. The problem is the VHS version's sales have not tapered off enough yet. When that happens you will here about the release date for these titles just like Episode 1. It's called maximizing profits.
------------------
Gary J. Rhine
My Home Theater

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I'm not so sure these are in production right now.
Lucas is busy with SWs current and past. He might not even consider looking at Indy until after Episode III is in the can.
This is my opinion only and I sincerely hope I'm wrong - Indy may not be on DVD for awhile.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Tom Ryan, I agree, release them all now, and let me choose what & when I want to buy!
------------------
Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation
http://apacure.org/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks