What's new

Report From SXSW. (1 Viewer)

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone from beautiful Austin, TX.
I'll try and recommend some new bands that I've seen this week so far.
The first night out was at "The Drink on 6TH" where they had their Detroit showcase. The two bands that stuck out were The Brothers Groove and The Orbitsuns.
The Brothers Groove are faithful to their name. A funk, rock, definitely Detroit sounding band who cooked live. Very tight and danceable stuff. The highlight with them was John Popper from Blues Traveller as a special guest for one song. Fun band, I think Motown would have been proud to have them on their label.
Imagine a hard rock, country twang band with two Telecasters (my favorite sounding guitar by the way) on stage at the same time. I would also have to make a vague comparison to Southern Culture on the Skids.
Last night, my friends and I were blown away by Los Lonely Boys. Los Lobos harmonies with a hard Texas blues feel. Very good musicians, but the singing in that mix was tremendous. Judging by the crowd reaction, me and my friends weren't alone in our judgement of the band.
Well that's it for now. If ya'll want to hear more, I'll post more and tell you about the Bloodshot Records BBQ and other bands later.
Got more music to see, Rick

Scott H

Supporting Actor
I'm missing breakfast, er lunch out at Threadgill's. :frowning:
A couple of weeks ago I was going to SXSW, but my schedule got upended... Georgia, here I come...
Have fun, and have a pint for me at Draught Horse. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks