What's new

3D Report: 3DTV Sales Rise Despite Consumer Indifference (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Some of the theaters here in Connecticut offer one day a week where the price is $8 all day for any movie including 3D.
And that's why I don't go to theaters anymore- $8 should not be a "bargain" price! That's simply too much to spend to see most movies one time. When I worked at a theater about 20 years ago (where does the time go?) we had bargain Tuesdays where all tickets were $3.50. They've crept up since then, hope they haven't hit $8!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Jesse Skeen said:
Some of the theaters here in Connecticut offer one day a week where the price is $8 all day for any movie including 3D.
And that's why I don't go to theaters anymore- $8 should not be a "bargain" price! That's simply too much to spend to see most movies one time. When I worked at a theater about 20 years ago (where does the time go?) we had bargain Tuesdays where all tickets were $3.50. They've crept up since then, hope they haven't hit $8!
The average income is about twice of what is was 20 years ago.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by RolandL /t/320892/report-3dtv-sales-rise-despite-consumer-indifference#post_3928878

And the average cost of living has risen right along with it.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by RolandL /t/320892/report-3dtv-sales-rise-despite-consumer-indifference#post_3928878

Please don't make up statistics.

That blanket statement is not true - for average US citizens. For the "1%-ers", perhaps - that may be the case.

Since 2007/2008, the median household income (adjusted for inflation) has been falling. The high level mark was back around 2000.

One site that lists the inflation-adjusted mean incomes for the past 40+ years: http://www.davemanuel.com/median-household-income.php

Wikipedia supports this, stating that median income growth since 1967 is 31%: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States#Household_income_over_time

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Jason Charlton said:
Please don't make up statistics.
That blanket statement is not true - for average US citizens.  For the "1%-ers", perhaps - that may be the case.
Incorrect. Using your own link, the median income almost doubled from 1990 to 2010, going from 27K to 47K. Adjusted from inflation takes into account things like the cost of a movie ticket going up during the same period. So assuming movie tickets should cost the same relative to median income (i.e. adjusted for inflation of income) the cost of a movie ticket should have almost doubled in the past 20 years. What makes a movie ticket "cost too much" is that there are now many alternatives to seeing a movie than at the theater and they are generally far cheaper.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Regardless of how incomes have risen or fallen, $10 is simply too much for a movie ticket. On the flipside though, when matinees were $3.50 you had to pay $30-40 for movies on laserdisc, now you can get Blu-Ray movies for half that. Thus why I'm now watching more movies at home and less at the theaters.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
RolandL said:
3D is an extra feature on blu-ray players that people should not have to pay for if they are not interested in 3D.
You should be able to get 3D glasses from the store you bought them from. We sell them where I work at P. C. Richard & Son.
With passive 3D sets you are getting 540 instead of 1080p.
Jesse Skeen said:
Regardless of how incomes have risen or fallen, $10 is simply too much for a movie ticket. On the flipside though, when matinees were $3.50 you had to pay $30-40 for movies on laserdisc, now you can get Blu-Ray movies for half that. Thus why I'm now watching more movies at home and less at the theaters.
Sorry, I made a mistake. $8 was for a 3D movie. All other movies are only $5. On bargain Tuesdays matinees were $3.50 twenty years ago and now all day on Tuesday they are $5.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
RolandL said:
Sorry, I made a mistake. $8 was for a 3D movie. All other movies are only $5. On bargain Tuesdays matinees were $3.50 twenty years ago and now all day on Tuesday they are $5.
Yep, those Cinemarks are pretty good--I've had to go on Tuesdays for all my movies, and even then choose my 3D movies carefully.
Not necessarily because they're expensive, but because I'm getting better 3-D on my active set, and I'd rather have something new to rent on it than go out. :D

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by dpippel /t/320892/report-3dtv-sales-rise-despite-consumer-indifference#post_3928308
Exactly. People aren't necessarily adopting the technology. Sales of 3D displays have risen because it's practically impossible to buy a mid-range to high-end TV (and increasinglly even an inexpensive set 42" and up) that does NOT have 3D capability. You get it whether you want it or not. The last line of the article says it all - where they should be looking for data indicating adoption or lack thereof is in the sales of 3D software and glasses.
I agree.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Ejanss said:
Yep, those Cinemarks are pretty good--I've had to go on Tuesdays for all my movies, and even then choose my 3D movies carefully.
Not necessarily because they're expensive, but because I'm getting better 3-D on my active set, and I'd rather have something new to rent on it than go out. :D
Rave Cinemas. They bought out most of the Showcase Cinemas in CT.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Jesse Skeen said:
When I started going to movies, (by myself and paying for them myself, I was about 11) it cost $3.50 to get in to an evening show. Calculated for inflation, today that would be $12.44. So relative to inflation, its actually slightly cheaper to see a movie today than it was in 1977.
Doug

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
So if inflation were consistent, a VHS movie today would cost over $200. I've studied economics, but I simply don't "believe" in inflation (I know it exists, but it doesn't justify some things being overpriced!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks