What's new

3D Report: 3D was never dead. It was just forgotten. (A visit with Bob Furmanek) (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Brian Husar /t/321297/report-3d-was-never-dead-it-was-just-forgotten-a-visit-with-bob-furmanek/30#post_3936664
I hear you. It would be nice to see Kiss Me Kate in 3D which I have never seen and never knew was in 3D. It's the new stuff that is bothering me. But the older stuff has a charm to it.
KMK was an interesting 3D project, as there were differences between 2D and 3D prints, which had extra shots / sequences physically cut in.

RAH

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
That's true, it was the only 1950's feature to have additional gimmick shots for the 3-D release prints. MGM was rather brave to do this because the footage was physically cut in to each print. It involved not just the gimmick sequence at the beginning of Taming of the Shrew, but a fade out after "I Hate Men" to the Intermission card and a fade in to part two. Just one mis-framed splice and the 3-D would have been thrown out of sync!
It was also shot full aperture and optically reduced to 1.37 when Technicolor made the matrices. It was composed for 1.75.
Here's a frame grab from one side of an original dye-transfer 35mm print.

a8c29c07_KateIB.tiff

We've just uploaded the first 3-D footage to our YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/3DFILMARCHIVE/videos
First, be sure to use our handy YT3D tutorial to optimize your viewing experience.
Once you've got everything looking its very best, RETURN TO BRONSON CANYON with Bob Burns in the miracle of third-dimension.
Who knows, maybe even Ro-man will make an appearance...
Enjoy!
Bob

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Bob Furmanek said:
We've just uploaded the first 3-D footage to our YouTube page:
Ohh, thought you meant you had Kate footage up on YouTube... :(
Somewhere on YT3D, there's the legend of "Underground3DMovies.com" who was setting out to restore all the 80's Silver Age, and a few of the 50's Golden Age, to Side-by-Side for unofficial bootleg disk(?)--There was link to a website that said nothing but "Coming Soon", before the poster disappeared, and there's been no new clips for a year. You wouldn't happen to know anything about that mysterious poster, would you?
Anyway, he had a highlight reel of Kate clips up, for those who can watch YT3D as it's meant to be seen. (I've got a YouTube-enabled smart-TV with 3D SBS conversion, but I haven't watched the Ro-Man clip yet.)

...I so want this movie on Blu 3D. :eek:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Brian Husar said:
Wasn't Ralph Bakshi's Fire and Ice shown in 3D? That would be something interesting to see also.
I'm pretty certain Fire and Ice was not filmed or shown in 3D.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Somewhere on YT3D, there's the legend of "Underground3DMovies.com" who was setting out to restore all the 80's Silver Age, and a few of the 50's Golden Age, to Side-by-Side for unofficial bootleg disk(?)--There was link to a website that said nothing but "Coming Soon", before the poster disappeared, and there's been no new clips for a year. You wouldn't happen to know anything about that mysterious poster, would you?
I'm guessing that it's somebody who acquired black market copies of material that is circulating among private collectors.
I have no idea who the person is nor do I want to!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Brian Husar said:
Wasn't Ralph Bakshi's Fire and Ice shown in 3D? That would be something interesting to see also.

No, you're pretty likely confusing that with "Starchaser: the Legend of Orin", and from the visual style, that's not too hard to do.
Still among the holy grails of the 80's Silver Age, but think it's still in MGM/UA limbo.

Bob Furmanek said:
I'm guessing that it's somebody who acquired black market copies of material that is circulating among private collectors.
I have no idea who the person is nor do I want to!

And the occasional Japanese laserdisk, eg Dial M--
Point is, though, in his own illegitimate way, he was out there pioneering vintage-3D on disk back when you were trying to get Hondo into theaters.....THEATERS!
A peace summit wouldn't hurt, and wouldn't hurt to start rehabilitating the "crooks" to useful employment.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Ejanss /t/321297/report-3d-was-never-dead-it-was-just-forgotten-a-visit-with-bob-furmanek/30#post_3936986
No, you're pretty likely confusing that with "Starchaser: the Legend of Orin", and from the visual style, that's not too hard to do.
Still among the holy grails of the 80's Silver Age, but think it's still in MGM/UA limbo.
It is on dvd and really its not that good.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Eric: I never tried to get HONDO into theaters and my 3-D preservation work began in 1980. http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/history-of-the-archive

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I like Starchaser better than most of the Star Wars prequels. ;)
It did see a 3D video release on the VHD format in Japan.

MitchellD

Stunt Coordinator
What's the story with the many RKO 3D titles from the 1950's. Years ago, I saw Dangerous Mission, Second Chance, and French Line, all dye transfer Technicolor, in 35mm polarized dual projector 3D, and they were spectacular. Speaking of French Line, are they ever going to restore the ending musical number, even if it is in 2D? The 3D version is the version that RKO owner Howard Hughs told the MPAA to go jump, releasing it without their stamp of approval. The 2D version is much tamer. The poster for the French Line featured Jane Russel heaving her breasts out, with the tag line She'll knock both your eyes out in 3D!.
Dangerous Mission, and the Fox film Inferno (1953) contain the best outdoor 3D cinematography I have ever seen.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
All the RKO titles are now owned by Warner Bros.
I agree, the 3-D versions are excellent. I would be quite anxious to see SON OF SINBAD and LOUISIANA TERRITORY as well.

GregK

Screenwriter
I was surprised how much I enjoyed seeing DEVIL's CANYON in 3-D at the 2003 World 3-D Expo. ..Well shot!

SAM33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stewart
That's a bummer that the 3D version of THE MOONLIGHTER is lost! Given the cast reunited from DOUBLE INDEMNITY, I think this would have to be entertaining for me at least.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Stewart: THE MOONLIGHTER is not lost. All left/right elements survive and have been preserved by Warner Bros.
Best,
Bob

SAM33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stewart
Oh, I misunderstood! I assumed that since YOU hadn't seen it, it MUST be lost!
Good news then, perhaps some day I will get to see it that way. I have 2 original posters for it (one sheet and insert) yet have never seen it period.
"NEVER such Man-Woman excitement..."!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks