What's new

Reply with Quote (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
In the little window at the top of each post, (where it says 'Profile', 'EMail', 'Edit', 'Personal Message', etc.), could you add a "Reply with Quote" button? I go on TrekBBS and they have this feature, it's nice.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
What I mean is right now you have to copy the lines you want to quote, use the quote button and paste them back in. With this feature, it automatically opens a reply window with the chosen post quoted, including the name of the member being quoted. Then you type your new post below.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
This has been discussed before but the reason that we do not have the text of a message automatically quoted is that this gets may over abused with people quoting entire texts and pasting them into the body of their posts making some threads huge in size.

Parker

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I understand. I'd still very much like the feature, for what it's worth. Maybe a message can be attached somewhere (maybe such text can appear on the vB box that comes up) to ask that quotes be edited before posting.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I'd agree with that. It's kind of nice to have the easy way to quote and I especially like the part of it including the user name of who is being quoted.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
I'd also appreciate a "reply with quote" feature. The way the RWQ button on AVScience's forums works is perfect (it quotes the text and the user who wrote it)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Guys:

As I have said above the reason that the RWQ feature is not a part of this forum is because it gets abused. Let's say that you have someone that has posted a huge message and you have another person that quotes that entire message in his post which then another member quotes both of these quotes and so on. We have dealt with this in the past with bad results and determined to not allow this on the forum anymore.

Parker

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
If that's the way you want it, so be it. But for clarity, the way the RWQ feature on TrekBBS works is, if you RWQ to a post that already has a quote in it, only the actual post you're quoting is carried into the new post, not the previous quote. So this helps keep it from snowballing as you described.
BTW, I think you guys have done a real good job on several of the changes compared to many months ago. I especially like that the forum remembers what posts are new or not new, even when you sign-in on different computers. I check this forum at work and at home. When I leave work and get home, only the posts I haven't seen in that short time, show as new. Even though it has been almost 24 hours since I last checked in on my home computer! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks