What's new

REPLY function not working as it should (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
(I know I've reported this before, but don't know how long it's been since the last time or where that was, so here's a new thread on it.)

I see this working for others all the time, but it refuses to function the same way for me...

In "replying" to a post that has another reply to a post(s) nested within it, I only get the "outer" one. I'm on Chrome and Win7. Can this please be looked at? Thanks!

PS - Apologies in advance if we find that someone explained a step to me at some point, and I then proceeded to forget it! The more I think about it, the more I feel this is entirely possible.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TEST

(I know I've reported this before, but don't know how long it's been since the last time or where that was, so here's a new thread on it.)

I see this working for others all the time, but it refuses to function the same way for me...

In "replying" to a post that has another reply to a post(s) nested within it, I only get the "outer" one. I'm on Chrome and Win7. Can this please be looked at? Thanks!

PS - Apologies in advance if we find that someone explained a step to me at some point, and I then proceeded to forget it! The more I think about it, the more I feel this is entirely possible.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah. It doesn't work the way you describe for me either, Charles. But, then again, I don't think it ever has.

It's not hard to create a post as you describe it...or, maybe people are simply using multi-quote function to get two+ quotes in the same post.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Yeah. It doesn't work the way you describe for me either, Charles. But, then again, I don't think it ever has.

It's not hard to create a post as you describe it...or, maybe people are simply using multi-quote function to get two+ quotes in the same post.

Like this.

Or, I've done it where I copy/paste text inside a quote box to create a nested quote (like you describe).

When you see the nested quotes sometime, post a link to that post here and I'll see what I can figure out.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Great.

Here's a recreation of Post #5 in this thread (via cut/past trickery).

Like this.

Or, I've done it where I copy/paste text inside a quote box to create a nested quote (like you describe).

When you see the nested quotes sometime, post a link to that post here and I'll see what I can figure out.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm pretty sure that's by design, or everytime someone replies, the quoted text gets longer and longer and longer until you have 27 posts quoted in a reply just so someone can say, "I agree." I think some older forum software may have allowed this on some boards, but I prefer this way.

But as Mike says, there is a multi-quote function if you really want multiple quotes in a single reply. It just takes a couple extra clicks.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Right. I think the "stacking" worked automatically on one of our previous platforms, and maybe it did initially on this one as well.

But no matter. I'll still keep my eye open for an example, in case it appears that the Quote function wasn't used. Either way, as long as I know how a feature works or doesn't work, I'm fine with it. Thanks, gents!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks