What's new

Replicating a PB2 plus..... (1 Viewer)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Wrong attitude dude.

At the left of the graph is the deepest bass. The lines on the graph equal the sound level of the signal when it reaches the driver. If the deep bass rolls off, or drops like you see here, it typically means that a rumble filter is in place, at around 19Hz.

A signal without rumble filtering would extend as low as 1 hz, provided it was recorded that way. Some HT tracks are known to have strong 5 Hz content. This amp would not allow that to be produced. It shouldn't be, not by a sub, anyway - for that, you should install tactile transducers.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member

If you wish to remain that way, then pay others for their hard work and buy the PB2.

williamN

Agent
I'd be interested to know whether that PE 500 watt amp compares well to say the qsc rmx850 in terms of actual use rather than a graph.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Yes...at least as far as the amp is concerned. Sounds like a good thing until you realize that a driver can quickly run into overexcursion down really deep and destroy itself. A filter protects the driver below frequencies it can't really handle.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

By "not as convenient", do you mean has to be outside of
the enclosure & not attached?
It turns out, that is the same amp I have linked & can be
purchased for $299.00 & free shipping.....:D

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
No continuous phase or crossover, and yes, not attached. Phase can be manipulated +/- 180 degrees by alternating speaker lead polarity, though.

minhG

Stunt Coordinator
with the QSC amp, i would only use a single channel at 4ohms, using it in bridged mono mode would increase the risk of blowing the speaker significantly in the vented boxes suggested above.

williamN

Agent
Looking around I can't see the PE 500 amp available until mid July so I'm pretty keen on the Rythmik 350 as it seems quite economical and powerful. Does anyone have an opinion on whether it would mate well with two of the non premium 12"s from soundsplinter or would I be better of just ordering a tempest and building a box with the ebs volume but in the style of the PB2

Well scratch the Rythmik as Acoustic Visions will not ship to Canada...

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
William,

a more affordable option for you might be a 360W plate amp from www.creativesound.ca in BC. I have an EBS Tempest and it is very good, dont know how it compares to those 12s though.

williamN

Agent
OK Its looking like a Tempest and a 360 watt Creative amp will be going in an Adire EBS type box. I think I'll keep the same volume but I'll adjust the box plan so that it has the longest length as the width though. Thanks for the advice.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Which of those "Creative amps" would you get???

the SUB250RC, the SUB250RF with the bass boost disabled or the SUB250R with 4dB bass boost at 25Hz...

What would cause you to get one as opposed to the next??

williamN

Agent
I've just ordered the SUB250RF because, to me, it made sense to start from a flat position but I'm definately not an expert. I've also gone for the DPL12 rather than the Tempest.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Thanks William,

The question was directed to ANYBODY that might want to
answer or give reasons one way or the other...:confused:

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
For anyone interested in the QSC amps, this vendor seems to have about the best prices: Northern Sound & Light

The link was posted here a few months back, so I'm just reposting it. They take approx. 10% off the M.A.P. price on the QSC amps, so the price is about the best on the 'Net - in addition, they have free delivery on the amps.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Excellent choice, as long as you don't need the additional displacement of the Tempest.Will you be going sealed?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks