What's new

ReplayTV's New 5000 series - rumors confirmed (1 Viewer)

I thought I would post this here first since I mostly hang out on the HTF although I first got the inclination to research based on a thread on AV Science.
SonicBlue will be releasing a new 5000 series with additional features at a reduced price. Magnolia Hi-Fi, a electronics store in the Northwest, had thier employees trained on the new model a few days ago. Based on an imminent purchase of a 4500 series ReplayTV, I did some research. I found this thread on AV Science:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1
Those in the Magnolia Hi-Fi training were told the unit would be available for purchase "in four to five weeks." The training took place three days ago. The new model will boast increased capacity and a Sage/Faroudja DCDi chip. The unit will upconvert all video to 480p. The smallest model will have a capacity of 30 hours. Several salesmen were willing to discuss this with me and I trust one of the salesmen very much in terms of knowledge and reliability.
Don't buy a 4500 series. Wait to purchase the new unit (with additional features) for fewer $$$. The current rebate will be continued past Oct. 15 according to my salesman. It will bring the price of the base unit to $250 (after rebate). The next model will be an additional $100 ($350 after rebate) and offer 80 hours. The next model will be an additional $100 ($450 after rebate) and offer 120 or 160 hours (I don't remember). Life-time activation will remain the same at $250.
My birthday present will just have to wait past Oct. 2. It sounds like it will be worth it.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Man, if I could watch laserdiscs through this thing with the DCDi doubling (but without a compress/decompress cycle you get when buffering), I'd be all over it.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Damn, I was hoping the 5k would have a DVD-R drive in it.

I hope they put a better mpeg encoder in it. I've had a RTV since the 2020 and I'm getting real spoiled by the encoder in my DVD recorders.

Michael, lets hope the 'bypass' mode in the 5k will just bypass the mpege encoder and still go through the DCDi chip. I'm not sure if the 4k series still outputs 480p when in 'bypass'. I haven't tried it on mine.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
I'll keep my TiVO anyday........
And one question....
Why buy a specific A/V source like a Replay just because it has a chip allowing for upconvert to 480p when you can buy a full video processor from the likes of Faroudja that will upconvert any source to the native resolution of your display device.
I'm thinking of Faroudja's Native Rate Scaler as an example:
Link Removed
Link Removed
Yes, this is a much more expensive way to go, but it seems like the best way to go if you can afford it....
at least that's my very weak attempt at $.02

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Why buy a specific A/V source like a Replay just because it has a chip allowing for upconvert to 480p when you can buy a full video processor from the likes of Faroudja that will upconvert any source to the native resolution of your display device.
I wasn't saying that I wouldn't use it as a PVR also, just that a certain feature like great doubling of external sources is a selling point that could tip the scale for me. Why do you have a problem with that? Seems logical to me.

I have two Tivos at home, both original 14-hour series one units bought years ago (and modded). I paid less than a hundred dollars apiece in the days of extreme internet deals.

But I'm happy to admit that Replay has some nice features that the Tivo doesn't have (sending shows!). I once owned a Replay (yep, 3 PVRs) and I did prefer the Tivo interface.

And no, I can't afford a Faroudja.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks