What's new

ReplayTV 4040 vs Tivo - Help me decide (1 Viewer)

Chris Wittry

Stunt Coordinator
So here's the deal. I'm looking to get a PVR. I'll be starting out with a single unit in the HT, then if I like it (not really any doubt about that) I'll be getting another for our other tv. I want one for the general reasons (pausing live tv, no more tapes, etc), but there are some specific tasks I want it to do:
1. Set it up to record shows, but if they are reruns, have a "backup" show that it could record. (Ex. We watch Friends, but if it's a rerun, then I'd like to watch Family Guy)
2. Easy searching for shows, movies, sports
3. Clean UI and easy to use remote - my wife should be able to program the thing
I've done some research and I keep swaying back and forth. I like the ethernet connection on the replay and the idea of internet sharing/programming of the device is great, but I've heard that the software on the tivo is better. I've done a lot of research, now I'm looking for opinions and outside info. Thanks! :D

Tan_N

Stunt Coordinator
chris,

I dont know much about either RePlay or TiVo, but here's the break down of the last time I did research.

RePlay

1) Cost more $ upfront ~$400

2) No monthy fees

3) Less user friendly Menus but still functional

TiVo

1) Cost less $ upfront ~$200

2) ~$10 monthly fee

3) Easy Menus and refined

Since I didnt want to spend $400 or want monthly fees. I stopped my research here. I am now looking into the Radeon 7500 All-In-Wonder instead. Good Luck, Post what ever info you find.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
I have a Standalone TiVO and love it.
For standalone TiVOs, the price of the monthly fee has gone up to$12.95 a month, but it is so worth it.....
And, if you have DirecTV, you can get a combo DirecTV/TiVO box that has two tuners in it, meaning the TiVO can record two shows at the same time!!! And with DirecTiVO, once you pay lifetime on the box, if you do, then each successive box only pays a $5 mirroring fee each month. With SA TiVOs, each box requires it's own monthly or lifetime sub.
3. Clean UI and easy to use remote - my wife should be able to program the thing
Really is a snap. I could say alot about it, but it is best to go to someones house and see for yourself.
You may also want to check out this web site which is ever valuable:
www.tivocommunity.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks