1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

REPLAY/TIVO and service fees?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Stephen Orr, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I really like the idea of a PVR, but can I opt to program recordings myself, rather than through a paid subscription service? I see that REPLAY and TIVO require a phone line and subscription to access their scheduler. Can I schedule my own recordings without their help? Thanks in advance.

2. Chuck Mullen

Chuck Mullen Stunt Coordinator

Nope, both RTV and Tivo are set up only to work with subscription service.

3. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Okay, I just got that from the service websites. I guess I'll be looking at some of these players with a HD built in instead....

4. ScottAndrew

ScottAndrew Stunt Coordinator

I just bought a Series 1 Tivo on eBay because it lets me record by time and channel without a subscription. You can get an 80-hour model for right around $160. It mentions that it will "nag" you for not phoning in, but it's hardly noticeable.

5. Chuck Mullen

Chuck Mullen Stunt Coordinator

I have a RTV and paid $250 for the lifetime subscription. Now, I am not trying to spend your money for you Stephen, but the all the features you get with the RTV or TIVO subscription make it worthwhile. Season Pass, advanced searches, etc.

6. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Actually, I'm looking at the new Sony RDR-GX7 DVD Recorder now. Records in DVD+/RW and DVD-R. Record modes 60 min-360 min. No hard drive but still closer to what I'm really looking for.

7. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Have you considered one of these? It's a progressive scan DVD player with built in 80hr Tivo. This unit comes with free Basic tivo service. Not a bad price for this unit either...

http://ww2.onecall.com/PID_20507.htm#20507

Jeff

8. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

Thx for that Jeff Remer! I was considering either a DVD Recorder + HD, ReplayTV or Tivo until I saw your post. Great find and price!

9. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
  10. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

I considered the Pioneer (sounds very nice) until I saw the prices. I just couldnt bring myself to do it.

I will eventually get a recorder that includes a Tivo, but will wait a couple years.

I just think $1000-$1200 is too much and it's almost guaranteed in a few years items like this will be at the mainstream level as far as prices.

I would just feel sick to my stomach if I paid $1200 and then saw the same thing or something even better go for $300 or $400 a year or two from now.

Stephen,

You might want to hold off on the GX7 for awhile until Sony introduces their new models this year. There will most likely be an upgraded version of the GX7 that will probably be better for the same price.

But, if you dont want to wait I still have heard the GX7 is a nice player.

11. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Well, my budget spoke for me...

I upgraded my TV card to the WINTV PVR 250 and will burn to DVD-+RW until I can afford either the new Panny or the next Sony...

12. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I have an update.

I bought the WinTV PVR 250, and BeyondTV 3 software. What a nice combo! Beyond works sort of like a Tivo -- I am able to record only new shows, or all shows, at the click of a mouse. I can go online from anywhere to select programs for remote recording. The file names are the actual show titles and episode titles! Great!