Replay 5040 issue or Cable box?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd_Summerson, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Todd_Summerson

Todd_Summerson Auditioning

I have been a reader of the forum since December when I purchased my 5040. I love the machine and it has been relatively trouble free (knock on wood). But there is one minor issue that I wanted to pose to the forum to see if anyone had any ideas.

My cable comes from the wall to a Scientific Atlantic 8500 series. Specifically 8580. Then the cable runs from the box to the replay. It works great 99% of the time but once or twice a month I will come home to the wonderful blue screen telling me I have no signal. It is not locked up as it seems to change channels (without a signal), can use the menus and play recorded shows. The only way I have been able to fix this problem is to unhook the line of cable from the wall to the box for 15-20 seconds and then hook it back up. Then the signal comes back and works great for a week or two. I am hoping it is the cable box, and when digital comes available (Q1 2003) my issue will be resolved. But I am still looking for input.

If you need me to be more specific about my issue, please let me know. Thanks again for any input or suggestions.

2. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

I don't have the same problem, but I have had lock-up types of problems with my 5040, where it sometimes is stuck in a small loop on a TV image or is stuck on one of its screens. I've had such problems with both analog and digital cable boxes. I often don't see the problem right away because I have 2 outputs from my cable box, one of which goes to a TV input directly and one that goes to the TV via the 5040. For normal TV viewing (which involves a lot of surfing), I don't watch through the 5040.

My guess is the 5040 is yet another example of an imperfect box.

Doug

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I've read reports that if you have a problematic 5xxx box from Sonic Blue, you should pursue getting a RMA from SB so that they send you another unit to try (the replacement units seem to have less problems).

4. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Isolate the issue to the cable box or the Replay by taking the cable box output and plugging it straight into the TV when you get into this state. If you can see it, then the Replay box is at fault. If no signal, then it's the cable box.

5. mike caronia

mike caronia Second Unit

Funny. I bought a 5040 Monday evening. Hooked everything up...No signal. Yet I was getting a pass through when the 5040 was powered down. I connected composite cables as well as the coax and all was resolved. But I still get a no signal if I try to use the Replay from the coax input....